User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Dec 2002, 10:21   #51
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mikay
At the time the game finished there was a sum total of 0.000 posts on politics. There were only 3 people who ever went on IRC. Sometimes I used to scan ppl I liked in gal to see if there was an overburn incoming. One of the ministers regularly had absolutely nothing in his news.

I have no real issue with random gals and in some ways it's been nice but they will never work with 10 people. You need a minimum of 25 to guarantee some level of activity and consistency.

Personally I don;t feel the random gal aspect has been much of a success. The ppl who are inactive in those gals just don't really care to learn the more advanced aspects of the game. The "big league" players seemed to support their gal early on when it was needed only to feed them to their allies later in the round.
i agree on that 25 ppl for random
not 10 even 20 or 15 would account for some amount of activity

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 17:57   #52
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Still have many of the great ideas documented. However you should understand that it quite unrealisitc to envisage that just 1 coder could possible code all the new features by himself. For more coders = money and that we just did have to spare as FS debts did need paying off as first prority. Im not defending the slow deveopment, I agree it was WAY to slow and somthing that the new buyer hopefully will improve on.
That was mostly your own fault - i'm a commercial software developer working mainly on unixes/network stuff in C/C++ during the last years and i tried several times to offer help, did several (some quite detailed) suggestions (later even included ways to make a slight profit from them for 5S because i hoped that would make you consider them at least). When i described a rather easy way to do something - i mostly got "its to complicated" - when i broke it down to tiny peaces and showed samples, i got told "its to simple - we got better things anyway soon" (yeah sure - as always).

I would have easily invested 2 or 3 hours a day to that time for free - but it was absolutely impossible to _really_ get through to you guys. There where a lot of nonsense excuses and the usual "its not necessary - we will soon have it anyway and better" etc. If you think i talk crap here with mentioning "nonsense excuses" - i will happily name the most frequent ones and tell you why they are really nonsense.

You probably cant imagine how silly it sounds to hear excuses how difficult and how much work something is, which i have done for commercial projects several times and know its about 15 to 30 minutes of work. Esp. if you work with clone projects of the very same thing ...

I have quite some sympathy to what you guys did (and some still do), but don't tell me it was impossible to get help on the code.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 02:48   #53
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about
Over the rounds there have been many suggestions put forward but that fool spinner did it his way. Only one person should take maximum blame for PA and its spinner and his inability to run the game as a business. Any business that loses so much of its "regular" customers is going to go bankrupt.

Im sure some business could run it as a profit but they would need to froward plan and thats something spinner has not shown any ability to do. If it was merely a game then he could have founded around as he has..... but its a business and he runs his business as well as he ran his planets.... fast starting then they lose everything.
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 08:15   #54
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Still have many of the great ideas documented. However you should understand that it quite unrealisitc to envisage that just 1 coder could possible code all the new features by himself. For more coders = money and that we just did have to spare as FS debts did need paying off as first prority. Im not defending the slow deveopment, I agree it was WAY to slow and somthing that the new buyer hopefully will improve on.
I'll second what Ramihyn said. I write software for a living, and I have extensive experience with large scale web based software.

I offered to help with some of the database/battle engine code, as the server hangs, vanishing fleets, etc, at the "tick" in r3/r4 clearly demonstrated that something was clearly wrong with that chunk of code.

When I talked to Zeus about it I was given vague statements about how good the code was - along the lines of "good programmers have looked at the code trying to help and ended up learning something".

I was then told I would hear from Fudge, to discuss specific ideas that I had proposed (as Zeus was, or claimed to be, a non-technical component of 5S) and then I never heard anything from any of them ever again.

I find it hard to believe that there may actually be a buyer for the game, but if someone else does give it a shot, I wish them luck.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo

Last edited by whoop; 2 Dec 2002 at 08:25.
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 08:23   #55
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by decoy

They should open source it.
Open Source would make the code fast, stable, and reliable/bug free.

PA is not dying because of code defects - it is dying because of two things.

One: A total and utter lack of customer service other than credit card processing.

Two: A "community" that is filled with immature twats that try to win at any cost, including the total alienation and destruction of new players which leads to...

Well, all we know that it leads to.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 14:04   #56
MrMonster
Alien Scumbag

MrMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anybody actually made a decent bid for PA yet?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 07:29   #57
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by whoop
Open Source would make the code fast, stable, and reliable/bug free.

PA is not dying because of code defects - it is dying because of two things.

One: A total and utter lack of customer service other than credit card processing.

Two: A "community" that is filled with immature twats that try to win at any cost, including the total alienation and destruction of new players which leads to...

Well, all we know that it leads to.

-whoop
Actually I can show you several mistakes that were made. Non were down to the cde, but all contributed to the downfall.

Being an accountant I can tell you that some of the financial decisions that have been made were totally lacking in any judgement. I personally think these are more perinent to the reasons why PA failed.

If you go back to the end of round 3, due to the dodgy ad banners 5th Season decided to go pay to play. By that time I think that they were already severely cash strapped.

However instead of using it as a revenue top up for ad banner ppl who had gone bankrupt they decided that was the way forward. Ay to play is a difficult decisions, one with many ramifications, but the simple fact is people will not pay for extended periods - its just not worth it. Also most individuals involved rely on parents for income. Any strategic decisions based on pay to play is a severe mistake.

Next was the inability to acquire strategic agreements. The onesa that were put together simply were risky strategies. Strategic agreements for use of in game ad's and portal advertising and maybe even mass marketing could have maximised the revenue or saved costs on infrastructure.

The final error was one many small/new businesses fall into - a lack of a coherent strategy. Unfortunately all this lead to the current position.

My boss (the group projects Director) said if I remembered 1 thing I should remember this when evaluating projects "Cash is king".

PA is a game which requires a free environment. There is no compromise since ppl will always have better things to spend there cash on. Ad banners will never work since any company will be hard pushed to get the "true" revenue because of the amount of hits the game receives.

There are revenue streams for them to exploit, but they simply didn't have the skills or knowledge to do it. If there was ever a case study for a poorly organised internet company with a strong product this would be it.

Btw if anyon was interested I am a analyst for a utilities company at the moment and I was a management accountant for a internet security / portal management solution company, so unfortunately I very much understand what should / needs to be done :-)
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 09:55   #58
Mr. Juggalo
eia bro

Mr. Juggalo is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard that Bong is bidding for it, aparently he has some ISP in New Zealand backing him.

So if you wanna encourage/say thanks/complain/cyber pm Bong on IRC and have a jolly good talk to him.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 13:24   #59
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMonster
Has anybody actually made a decent bid for PA yet?
This states there has been made several such offers:

http://home.planetarion.com/news.php?id=50

hAl