User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:19   #1
Maximilian

My Story

Hello everyone.

I recently joined Round 12, having not played since round 3 or 4, like Troglodyte.

Like him, I think a lot of the romance has gone out of the game. I can't get my head round the ''races'' thing or the ship names or the apparent lack of players (I played the early rounds and I could have sworn there were zillions of planets). Never-the-less, I am determined to play Round 13 and try and rediscover my passion of a few years back.

One thing I would say, though, is that I have always thought the resets were a terrible thing. People used to say they were levellers, i.e. stop people getting too big and we all start again from scratch but in my experience of the old days, a lot of the same people would be huge in each round because they were simply better placed to be (more access time, more friends that played the game etc) and the resets simply prevented a lot of lesser players getting their teeth into it. I remember one round where I actually got quite big (christ, why did they do away with Thieves?!) and yes, I did bash people and I loved it! It was fair reward for my hours of play and then they wiped it all away! Despair! Surely if a round lasted a year, everyone will eventually be able to get to a decent level?

Anyway, good to see the legacy lives on in some respect. Where is Vish? And whatever happend to the Concordium?!
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:37   #2
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
Re: My Story

Concordium is gone, as is Vish. The only R1 alliances left are New Dawn and F-Crew. As to the issue about resetting, as the universe currently is there aint enough players to justify longer rounds. After a while, one alliance or block or such will have outgrown the others to a point where fighting is futile. The smaller alliances wont stand a chance hitting the larger, and the larger cant hit the smalle due to bash limits.

Anyways, glad to see you are staying, hope you will enjoy R13

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 01:49   #3
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. That. And also, its nice to meet new players in new galaxies, and help them become more involved in the politics and community side of the game.

You would just have a much wider range of scores that are unattainable by new-starters, and top planets would go for months without targets
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 04:40   #4
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

maxi....nub....

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:44   #5
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

It's very different now than early PA, yet I wouldn't say it's changed for the worse, exept for ammount of players maybe, back then there were over 100k players, if I remember correctly r4 around 300k, but we have to face we'll probebly never get that ammount back.
The races just take some getting used to, but it adds some great new elements into the game, and new strategy etc. And thieves are still here just in a different way than you remember I think It's a zikonian ship.
New round give you a new chance imho, if you keep getting bashed, and once you've grown slightly big so you're once more within bash limit you get bashed and roided the ground again, new round gives you chance of a better gal, chance to meet new players, new challanges, more new alliance propeganda and alliance wars etc. At a point in the round one side has definately won, this round was a very rare one where top alliance and gal were only decided in last week, was very exiting, but usually that is decided like a month before round end, and it's impossible almost to apose them anymore.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:01   #6
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
maxi....nub....

your point?

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 14:46   #7
Obique

Obique is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I got to agree with the optimists, I’m a returning player and I see a lot of changes, just about all of which I can see a positive side, I don’t think longer rounds would be financially viable from a JOLT prospective (Shorter = More Profit), and I’m not sure longer rounds would work, the rich would get richer & the fat, fatter and alliance intel gathering to go on for longer.

I’ll definitely be playing credited in round 13 & its good to be back
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though chequered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat
T.F. Roosevelt
Obique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 12:29   #8
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

most onlinegames loose players just look at dawn of myth etc. The reason I belibe is that our gaming generation gettintg a bit old and that it's too many online gam4s stealing sooo many players from different communities.
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 17:06   #9
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

tbh, to me rounds tend to grow stale after tick 1000. most people have finished researching all the important stuff, nearly all the intel has been discovered, most wars are decided more or less, etc. I for one would surely favor SHORTER rounds.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 17:12   #10
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think this round went quite well and was very enjoyable. We had several potential winners throughout the round in Mistu, LCH and 1up... HR and ND both came within long shots too (ND were a little bit closer), this sort of round length was very good.

Think of the poor MO's, I'm drained from this round, and it's only thanks to teh xmas holidays I've managed to recover... now think of those that did useful stuff!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 17:23   #11
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
now think of those that did useful stuff!
you should really write "useful stuff" in quotation marks when applied to PA
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 20:00   #12
master2004
MasterChief

master2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian
christ, why did they do away with Thieves?!
Ah yes, thieves, the good old days
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:07   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian
I recently joined Round 12, having not played since round 3 or 4, like Troglodyte.
it was at least R4, when you were in X-Force with me and Hedgie and co
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 03:25   #14
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
your point?
did i need one?

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 15:25   #15
SleepingBear
ROCK Angel

SleepingBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I played the first rounds untill like 5 or 6 , 2nd round of races i guess !
I quit PA because i tought the races where crap and they destroyed every love i had for planetarion.
But in round 10.5 i joined again and with some help from my alliance i got to know the races and i thinks it's more fun then the oldskool rounds, but that's my opinion.
Just try it Maximilian

good luck in R13

<MrPubes> i thought about starting a new pa career as a female often enough...

R1 - R7 : Played almost all but forgot most of it
R8 - R9 : Social life
R10 : Solo ( SleepingBear of DreamLand )
R11 : ROCK ( Green Mushroom of Mushroomcity )
R12 : ROCK ( The Greatest Fall of All Time )
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:07   #16
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve

Oh Sleepingbear, now you even have that as your signature.
*sighs*
You two will never forget about that, eh?
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 17:34   #17
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
did i need one?
I dunno

Unread 10 Jan 2005, 17:39   #18
noah02
The Original Terran

Oh and maxi if there were no resets some ppl would die of stress.
Anyways sometimes I wish I was an insomniac but i love by sleep to much, specially in a nice comfy cold bed when its pissing down outside and you start warming up then your missus jumps into bed and puts her hands on you to warm and makes you jump out your skin coz shes freezing.

Unread 10 Jan 2005, 22:23   #19
SleepingBear
ROCK Angel

SleepingBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPubes
Oh Sleepingbear, now you even have that as your signature.
*sighs*
You two will never forget about that, eh?
No i will never forget that night , it was the greatest time i ever had

btw : still have that log

<MrPubes> i thought about starting a new pa career as a female often enough...

R1 - R7 : Played almost all but forgot most of it
R8 - R9 : Social life
R10 : Solo ( SleepingBear of DreamLand )
R11 : ROCK ( Green Mushroom of Mushroomcity )
R12 : ROCK ( The Greatest Fall of All Time )
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:42   #20
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
tbh, to me rounds tend to grow stale after tick 1000. most people have finished researching all the important stuff, nearly all the intel has been discovered, most wars are decided more or less, etc. I for one would surely favor SHORTER rounds.
so long as we get a nice long havoc
Cannon_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 18:17   #21
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I think I remember play i a round with you Max, I'm not sure

Do I look familiar?

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 01:14   #22
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

go away fakenicker^^
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 14:01   #23
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough

mmh ... Maximilian pretty sounds like killmarks fake nick in pia
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 14:17   #24
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by genosse27
he only has one fake nick there?
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 03:07   #25
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough

its the one he used early on omen server... (where he is hc)
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 00:57   #26
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
its the one he used early on omen server... (where he is hc)
He is?

Oh my, plenty of PIA people are making their way into r13 of planetarion it seems. The "spring break", uhm.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 01:41   #27
MrPedantic
Banned

MrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
he only has one fake nick there?
ofc not, this is killmark.
he`ll have 300 fake nicks, and one admin nick for deleting people who get through on him
MrPedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 04:46   #28
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I remember starting round one in Galaxy 60:10. One reason there are fewer players is that there are NO multis like in the past. I had 3 planets myself. I also remember the real thief ships, those could make you grow faster and quicker. I would use the 3 planets together and wipe out smaller planets taking their ships, roids, and resouces. I also remember that you could attack for 3 ticks at a time. I think 5-6 month rounds would be best. That would give us 2 major rounds a year and then we could have speed rounds in between.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 15:33   #29
higginz
||Dude||

higginz will become famous soon enoughhigginz will become famous soon enough

5-6month rounds sound good in theory, but in practice i think the top guys n alliances would just run away with it, much more so than in the rounds atm, i thought the idea at the moment was to make the game fairer for the little guys?think everyone would like more ppl playin pa, so would need the little guys to have more chance otherwise theyd get bored n leave after a bit, so i kinda think its better to make it more even rather than longer rounds making it harder for the little guys

kinda agree with the fact that it lets u get on ur feet tho with longer rounds, bit torn in the middle
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 23:12   #30
Kill
Banned

Kill is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Your confused with Maximus.

Omen Incorporated CEO

Heresy CEO [=H=]
"Born of Heresy"

<milkey> its four am ..
<milkey> youre freaking crazy
<Killmark> 4.20
<Killmark>
<milkey> dont matter
<Killmark> i need roidies!
Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 01:41   #31
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Dont think pa would be so much fun with 200k players, nuubbashing would only make a lot bigger diffrence between top50 and top100 i guess :P

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2005, 21:04   #32
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
Dont think pa would be so much fun with 200k players, nuubbashing would only make a lot bigger diffrence between top50 and top100 i guess :P
well it did let the bigger alliances concentrate on each other leaving the smaller planets to play at their own level

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote