User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 5 Apr 2003, 21:15   #1
Alexan Drite

Alexan Drite is an unknown quantity at this point
Terran vs. Zik(Not Xenophobic Propoganda)

I was looking at this galaxy my alliance about to hit and I found a target that really needed to be broken. The guy was a Zik, and I never really thought too much about hitting Ziks. They're too rare and the ones I do find usually have fleets that easilly counter what I have. But then, I started looking closer to the fleet and realized how easy it might be to forum a fleet to fight against these types of targets. The guy's largest ship was the Clipper. His fleet composition was(in numbers not resources):
60% Corsair
17.5% Cutlass
16.4% Thief
3.5% Brig
.3% Apod
.8% Clipper
1.5% Non Zik(mostly Vultures then Phoenixes)
(rounded)

Question: Is this ratio normal for most Ziks?
While I realize that the guy has almost no BS support, making him easy against any Xan or Cathaar that rushed Battleship Factory, this isn't so versus Terrans. As you can see 99% of his fleet is COs and Fighters. Would it be a good Terran strategy to build Apods+harpys+Centaurs and start going against Ziks like this, or is this guy an abnormal. About two weeks from now, when everyone should be able to build everything, will I only have to add some BS or will the Ziks start changing their fleet composition incredibly once they can build the heavier ships? This fleet could double nicely for a few other purposes as well(quick hitting, quick defense, easy to build) and could possibly do well against Cathaar.

Oh and Terrans are smarter and better and prettier then the stupid ugly zik.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 21:27   #2
Iceaxe
Blood

Iceaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
I would rather use pegs/dems to hit this guy, not cents/harpies/apods.
Iceaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 21:40   #3
Alexan Drite

I was thinking about that and I ran some stats. I said (Hypothetically) if my fleet was All harpies and pegs or All Harpies and Centaurs, which one would preform better.
Harpies and Centaurs won, but that may have to do with the fact that my M:C ratio is about 9:5 at this point. Also look at what the guy has, 60% corsairs, 3.5% Brig, and .8% Clipper. If the guy has a fleet of 100k ships, that's 60,000 Corsairs, 3,500 Brig, 800 Clipper. Would you rather have Centaurs or Pegs at that point?
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 00:29   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexan Drite
I was thinking about that and I ran some stats. I said (Hypothetically) if my fleet was All harpies and pegs or All Harpies and Centaurs, which one would preform better.
Harpies and Centaurs won, but that may have to do with the fact that my M:C ratio is about 9:5 at this point. Also look at what the guy has, 60% corsairs, 3.5% Brig, and .8% Clipper. If the guy has a fleet of 100k ships, that's 60,000 Corsairs, 3,500 Brig, 800 Clipper. Would you rather have Centaurs or Pegs at that point?
If you sent a FR fleet, then the Cutlasses would fire on your FR as well as the Corsairs and Clippers. I dont remmber targeting fro Brig, but i thought that it might target FR too (like the Bomber)...

all that suggests to me to use a DE fleet, especially because the Pegasus is the best anti-FI unit you posess.

plus, 800 clippers in a 100 000 ship fleet is buggar all. If we used my R7 fleet (when i was a Zik), i would have 50 000 Clippers, and 40 000 Cutters, the remainder being Corsais and Pods...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:21   #5
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Re: Terran vs. Zik(Not Xenophobic Propoganda)

Quote:
His fleet composition was(in numbers not resources):
60% Corsair
17.5% Cutlass
16.4% Thief
3.5% Brig
.3% Apod
.8% Clipper
(rounded)

God no, would be my first outburst.

But then again, it depends on what type of fleet he wants..but only pods as FR, and only Clippers DE....bit strange imo.
Looks like a lot of Corsairs to me, to much. And that much Thiefs? Can i pretty please have that resource ratio aswell?
Why that few pods as only FR, to roid his farm?

Now flame me and point out how I am wrong please, i dont think im very good as Zik >:)
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 03:05   #6
Iceaxe
Blood

Ultimate Newbie already listed the reasons I'd rather use the De only fleet.

And yes, the brig does shoot at Frigs.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 03:13   #7
Alexan Drite

The m:c ratio was about 3:2, a little closer like 29:23 I think.

The problem with Pegs is the M:C ratio, and that the guy would steal them and my own pegs would start shooting at me and I'd have nothing to shoot back with. The other problems are the Brigs and clipper. Just do about 10,000,000 points in Harpies+centaurs and harpies+pegs versus an Zik fleet of these porportions 1:1 score ratio. Even with all pegs it should take two ticks to clear out the fighters, meaning that the Corvettes are given free reign for that time. Centaurs target Cos first though, and so your losses will be less. Your harpies will also be able to kill stolen centaurs, and they're able to handle the fighters in the same time as the Pegs plus them could. Finally, although both Corsair and Cutlass target frigs they are targetted third for Cutlass, so they have to go through your harpy fleet, and that's not going to happen.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 06:02   #8
Iceaxe
Blood

If the fleet is 60% corsair and only 3.5% brigs I'm more worried about the corsair then the brig, hence I need the pegs to shoot at the fi first, not the co.

Additionally, the guy doesn't have anything to steal your pegs with so thats not a worry.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 06:13   #9
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
hitting that target with a terran is a ridicilus notion in the first place... and i don't thjink I have ever seen a better target for a Xand than that.. send in a few arrowheads + other stuff; and poof!;, the zik was killed...

Last edited by hyfe; 6 Apr 2003 at 06:48.
hyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 07:14   #10
Alexan Drite

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceaxe
If the fleet is 60% corsair and only 3.5% brigs I'm more worried about the corsair then the brig, hence I need the pegs to shoot at the fi first, not the co.

Additionally, the guy doesn't have anything to steal your pegs with so thats not a worry.
The guy has 20% Cos though. Thieves +brig+other.

3:2 M:C ratio. 1:1 Score ratio.
Pegs + Harpies only:
Score: defenders lose 51.8% attackers 31.3%
Centaurs+Harpies only:
Defenders lose 55.7% attackers: 33.3%.
Slightly more advantagious to go Centaur, though the result is about the same.

The closer the Metal:Crystal ratio the better it is to have Pegs. The farther apart(such as my 9:5 ratio currently) the better it is to have Centaurs. This differance is very clearly pronounced at 2:1 and 1:1 ratios of M:C.

You are right though, the target is better to hit as a Xan. Arrowheads+Dreadnaughts+sentinals/Fighter. I'm not a Xan though.
You're also right, I thought he had something that could steal pegs, but I was thinking about something else apparently.

The idea isn't that important though, the guy might be the only one in the universe with these ratios.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 09:09   #11
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Terran vs. Zik(Not Xenophobic Propoganda)

Quote:
I was looking at this galaxy my alliance about to hit and I found a target that really needed to be broken. The guy was a Zik, and I never really thought too much about hitting Ziks. They're too rare and the ones I do find usually have fleets that easilly counter what I have. But then, I started looking closer to the fleet and realized how easy it might be to forum a fleet to fight against these types of targets. The guy's largest ship was the Clipper. His fleet composition was(in numbers not resources):
60% Corsair
17.5% Cutlass
16.4% Thief
3.5% Brig
.3% Apod
.8% Clipper
(rounded)

While I realize that the guy has almost no BS support, making him easy against any Xan or Cathaar that rushed Battleship Factory, this isn't so versus Terrans.
Oh and Terrans are smarter and better and prettier then the stupid ugly zik.

.........umm.....attacking with bs.....???? and as a xan....??

and um yah...that is one of the worst zik fleets i'v heard about...really doesn't stop much, though i'm sure some xan would love to have that many corsairs flak for him @_@
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 09:34   #12
Alexan Drite

None of the ships that fleet has Targets Battleships, but the Xan Dreadnaught targets Corvettes quite nicely. The Cathaar Scorpian would be very helpful in this situation here too.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 10:17   #13
pyromanic
Troll Warrior

pyromanic is an unknown quantity at this point
that zik is dull

clipper is their best ship.
Any zik should have far more of the bigger ships though obviously the fi are usefull.

I dont think this guy is typical.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 10:50   #14
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
is stealing worse then killing ?

here is my zik fleet (% of resources)

7% stolen stuff
4% Corsairs
9% Cutlass
15% Cutter
10% Buccaneer
25% Clipper
27% Rogue
3% Astr Pod
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 12:16   #15
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
sry, got tired of reading this CR*P, just gonna say he's not a typical ziko, he's sure as hell not a smart ziko, and you aren't a very smart terran either as you should be using pegs/wyvern(optionally adding hydras) and demeter pods. I saw you said you
'd calced with pegs+harpys, omg how idiotic is that?! plz :/

[Edit: Oh yes, and anyone that thinks about using Xanda BS shouldn't talk as much as listen in here...]

Last edited by Sun_Tzu; 6 Apr 2003 at 12:22.
Sun_Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:24   #16
Iceaxe
Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
is stealing worse then killing ?

here is my zik fleet (% of resources)

7% stolen stuff
4% Corsairs
9% Cutlass
15% Cutter
10% Buccaneer
25% Clipper
27% Rogue
3% Astr Pod
Yeah but we're not talking about your zik fleet here...
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:28   #17
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

Quote:
Yeah but we're not talking about your zik fleet here...
i was poitning out what a zik fleet could look like compared to the one the thread is about
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:30   #18
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
This Zik aint typical, he has no FR
infact the Brig is the best CR/DE/FR killer Ziks have. Yes even compared to the Clipper its firepower is equal or better.
Now the argument might be clippers shoot all, thats the only valid point. tho clippers tend especially against wyvern and tullas to suffer quiet alot, even against chimeras they dont make a good show of themself. The brig itself will shoot everytime unharmed against Tullas/Chimeras - they shoot random and would hit the fighters - against scorpios/Pegs -they shoot the wast and quickly build corsairs who do best against terrans (lowest losses) - so infact the brig has a point beeing build as CO is still the worst class to be targeted with fightersupport around. (assume aswell that your defence is mostly fighters this will make it for the Zik even more unlikely to lose alot of score against a terran because your defenders lose score and your corsairs take a nice hit.

Anyone who claims attacking with harpies/De mix (in one fleet that is) is wise shold go and shoot himself, every mo would have a good laugh about that seeing even more defence would be able to "hurt" your attacking fleet. No terran would land if the costs per roid are 20k or more because only 5% defenders shoot de but you lose all your harpies.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 20:07   #19
Alexan Drite

Thanks for telling me that this is a strange zik.

Sun_Tzu just stop it. You're spouting crap that's irrelivent to the situation at hand.
Quote:
he's sure as hell not a smart ziko
Too much of his fleet would survive if I attacked with what I have now, while I would take too large of a loss.
Quote:
pegs/wyvern
A Peg/Wyvern fleet is stoppable precisely because it's predictable. Take this fleet for example, while it has no anti-Wyvern, it has no need to. The ships that Wyvern target are about 7, 8% of the score he has. Thus even the most effective addition of Wyvern to your fleet has a maximum effect somewhere. Their cost in crystal for this fleet is actually preventing you from doing better.

Quote:
optionally adding hydras
You have got to be kidding me? You know how many hydras will die against a fleet like this?
Quote:
and demeter pods
I left pods out of my calcs, as the purpose of the attack was not to gain roids initially, but to damage and not recieve damage. They also would have added another level of calculations to consider.

Quote:
omg how idiotic is that
Ok genious, let's see a fleet composition. 9:5 M:C ratio terrans versus this guy. What do you recommend?
Quote:
No terran would land if the costs per roid are 20k or more because only 5% defenders shoot de but you lose all your harpies.
My alliance wants this guy taken care of. Besides, what else could you burn your metal on if you've pumped out all pegs to combat this guy. I can see why it wouldn't be advantagious to send Harpies, I could try a Peg only fleet, or a combination of pegs and perhaps Syrens, though the guy's corsairs are causing me to believe the losses will be higher....
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 21:21   #20
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:

My alliance wants this guy taken care of. Besides, what else could you burn your metal on if you've pumped out all pegs to combat this guy. I can see why it wouldn't be advantagious to send Harpies, I could try a Peg only fleet, or a combination of pegs and perhaps Syrens, though the guy's corsairs are causing me to believe the losses will be higher....
[offtopic rant]
Alexan: In my opinion: you really ought to clean up your posts. If you only want this guy dead; say so.If you want him roided at cheapest cost: say so. From reading your first post i certianly couldn't understand what you wanted.. (no; it isn't like I tried very hard either )
sun_tzu. leave him alone ffs. you spouting crap on this forum doesn't help. just close your eyes if his posts hurt you so much. (that bunch of deleted posts the last time ought to tell you something about what is considering good practice and what isn't!)
[/offtopic rant]

Ok. If your purpose is for your alliance is to kill this guy. You are on a totally wrong track if you want to take him out with a terran. Get a xand, this target was made for them. A xand FI/CO-fleet will slide right under those corsairs and wreak havoc.

If your purpose is to roid this guy as a Terran; i'd go with the standard peg/dems, fi/co/fr will just make it easier to defend against; and from (atleast at first glance) i really don't see any use for cr/bs there....

If you just want to calculate what terran fleet can take him out as cheapsest as possible: Just go with pure harpies...

So.. which of these was it you really wanted to discuss?
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 22:33   #21
Alexan Drite

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe

Alexan: In my opinion: you really ought to clean up your posts. If you only want this guy dead; say so.If you want him roided at cheapest cost: say so. From reading your first post i certianly couldn't understand what you wanted.. (no; it isn't like I tried very hard either )

I understand, part of my original post was trying to see if Ziks are really like this, and if so how would a terran fleet try to take it out. The alliance issue was just the catalyst.

Quote:
Ok. If your purpose is for your alliance is to kill this guy. You are on a totally wrong track if you want to take him out with a terran. Get a xand, this target was made for them. A xand FI/CO-fleet will slide right under those corsairs and wreak havoc.

We don't have any Xans available that can take the guy out.

Quote:
So.. which of these was it you really wanted to discuss?
This one:
If you just want to calculate what terran fleet can take him out as cheapsest as possible: Just go with pure harpies...
Of course, but then I still have crystal left over, what should I spend it on?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 06:47   #22
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Erm 60% of ship numbers in corsairs is saying NOTHING tbh. lets see a scan of the guy if that's possible, and work out resource ratios, from which we can say if it's a really random fleet, cos he just looks like an fi co zik with brains and an appetitie for terrans (and cath?) if you ask me.

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 07:08   #23
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
cos he just looks like an fi co zik with brains and an appetitie for terrans (and cath?) if you ask me.
do you really think that attacking a peg heavy terran with a FI/CO fleet is the smart thing to do ? i know corsairs don't do too bad in a 1on1 with pegs still there are (zik) fleets better suited to attack a terran.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 08:53   #24
Alexan Drite

Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
Erm 60% of ship numbers in corsairs is saying NOTHING tbh. lets see a scan of the guy if that's possible, and work out resource ratios, from which we can say if it's a really random fleet, cos he just looks like an fi co zik with brains and an appetitie for terrans (and cath?) if you ask me.
I didn't want to incase it gave it away. Here's an one:
Phoenix 177 Gryphon 12
Spider 6 Beetle 6
Scarab 44 Roach 45
Vulture 234 Corsair 20261
Cutlass 5938 Brig 1216
Thief 5588 Clipper 294
Astro Pod 101
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 09:28   #25
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

For one that's one of the lamest zik fleets I've ever seen, if you're zik don't go fi/co because other races have better anti fi/co ships and better fi/co themselfs. I usually go for cutter/clipper/marauder/pod fleet which would massicre the fleets you're sudgesting to send, the cutters would utterly destroy your harpy's, marauder and clipper would massicre your centuars, same if you send pegs, marauders and clippers would slaughter them, I think it's kind of stupid as zik to make fi/co fleets, maby top planets who can always get def and always get the good targets, but as a normal zik I go for zik fr/de, mainly destroy fleet, largest part cutters and clippers and also some marauders, that targets all ship classes and covers your pods great. I had a great fr/de fleet in round 7 and 8, working towards one atm (not very active this round)
So if you're talking about attacking a zik as terran, then propose a fleet that will work against most normal zik fleets, not the superl33t or stupid ones (no offense)
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:09   #26
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
I didn't want to incase it gave it away. Here's an one:
Phoenix 177 Gryphon 12
Spider 6 Beetle 6
Scarab 44 Roach 45
Vulture 234 Corsair 20261
Cutlass 5938 Brig 1216
Thief 5588 Clipper 294
Astro Pod 101
I still say: get a f'ckload of people to send FI at him. Do it right after he goes offline, and preferably hit the rest of his gal too. If your lucky, he won't get to move his fleet away..

If you are wondering what to build to take him out; you're attacking the problem from the wrong direction; custom tailoring a fleet takes a long time, and the gain is small. With his amount of clippers/corsair/brigs: and plan consisting of fr/de/cr is doomed to fail imo; and getting enough BS to actually matter is next to impossible. Go for a Fi/Co fleet, and send in pods afterwards; in-case he flees his fleet.

However, given that this guy is 'fairly' large.. you probably have to work quite a bit if you're to catch his fleet...
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:14   #27
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion Treet

For one that's one of the lamest zik fleets I've ever seen, if you're zik don't go fi/co because other races have better anti fi/co ships and better fi/co themselfs.
Well.. the zik-co fleet has *some* merit.

The brig outperfoms the bomber any day.. making it more vialable to attack ziks; and the emp-res makes it actually possible to get through on some caths. Terrans light on pegasi/heavy on chimeras might also be an option... In addition; you seem to make quite a bit of profit whenever you steal this round.. so having a f*ckload of thiefs really does decrease losses alot when attacking..
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 00:17   #28
Alexan Drite

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
If you are wondering what to build to take him out; you're attacking the problem from the wrong direction;
I had like half a week to build up, and besides every bit helps.

Actually if this was a common zik, then I'd have additional uses for such a fleet, since he's not, oh well.

Anyways, I built wyvern, and attacked a different target. We managed to get a ton of Xans at the last moment to attack this guy. Before our fleets could meet though, the target capitulated under the threat and joined the alliance. Yay!
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 00:51   #29
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Unread 8 Apr 2003, 05:11   #30
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
do you really think that attacking a peg heavy terran with a FI/CO fleet is the smart thing to do ? i know corsairs don't do too bad in a 1on1 with pegs still there are (zik) fleets better suited to attack a terran.
it's the brigs flaked by corsairs that are really nasty, and yes it's not the best zik fleet around, but it's not completely stupid either, certainly not as stupid as it may have first appeared. (yes a cutter clipper bucc fleet is still awesome)

Interestingly it would also slaughter a de based zik fleet too not to mention your average cat player if he was prepared to miss the first ticks caping if he stayed, think about those corsairs flaking the beetles and the subsequent damage to widows if he was a roach and not a tula player.

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 06:30   #31
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
My statement about the terran fleet was just to say the best normal fleet, not specificly aimed at this guy, though I'm sure I could get a decent cap with pegs/hydras/dems if I could arse about calcing it.

More so, the "problem" of pegs being too c-heavy is no problem, it's a blessing, ask your friendly neighbourhood xandas. Infact, my gal xandas are nearly going beserk every time I build hydras/wyverns since that means less m for them ;-P
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 18:32   #32
Wombat
MAdnRisKy

Wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
My statement about the terran fleet was just to say the best normal fleet, not specificly aimed at this guy, though I'm sure I could get a decent cap with pegs/hydras/dems if I could arse about calcing it.

More so, the "problem" of pegs being too c-heavy is no problem, it's a blessing, ask your friendly neighbourhood xandas. Infact, my gal xandas are nearly going beserk every time I build hydras/wyverns since that means less m for them ;-P
Firstly I just worked out who the guy is, so I know now this fleet was by design not by random co-incidence.

Secondly, you always say that, and it's almost as broken a record as me waffling on about syrens.

Finally, good luck, because sending a de cr fleet is JUST what he wants
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 20:07   #33
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally posted by Wombat
Firstly I just worked out who the guy is, so I know now this fleet was by design not by random co-incidence.

Secondly, you always say that, and it's almost as broken a record as me waffling on about syrens.

Finally, good luck, because sending a de cr fleet is JUST what he wants
heh, maybe, as said I didn't bother to calc, and if I nag on about my fleet compo it's because I've found it to be good, very good, and I've yet not seen a better(based on the asumption that you are in a good gal and in a good alliance).

Though yeah, if he's as big as it seems I'm not very suprised the fleet isn't an accident, but it's hardly typical and imho not the best option either(though maybe here is where the unpredictable factor plays in?)
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 09:13   #34
Deathrow

Deathrow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Orion Treet

For one that's one of the lamest zik fleets I've ever seen, if you're zik don't go fi/co because other races have better anti fi/co ships and better fi/co themselfs. I usually go for cutter/clipper/marauder/pod fleet which would massicre the fleets you're sudgesting to send, the cutters would utterly destroy your harpy's, marauder and clipper would massicre your centuars, same if you send pegs, marauders and clippers would slaughter them, I think it's kind of stupid as zik to make fi/co fleets, maby top planets who can always get def and always get the good targets, but as a normal zik I go for zik fr/de, mainly destroy fleet, largest part cutters and clippers and also some marauders, that targets all ship classes and covers your pods great. I had a great fr/de fleet in round 7 and 8, working towards one atm (not very active this round)
So if you're talking about attacking a zik as terran, then propose a fleet that will work against most normal zik fleets, not the superl33t or stupid ones (no offense)
lol really, comeon, dont judge something you obviously havent even tried or calced. Im a Zik player and half my fleet is fi/co

Corsairs are great flak against pegs, and brigs really hurt everything they target effeciently. Combine them and no terran dares to attack you with pegs/dems. Combine that with he flakking ability of the thief, steal some vultures the hard way (that does take a while :/ ) and you have one kickass low eta roiding fleet which is very costly to def against by terrans.

Im not saying you should go all fi/co, because the marauder/cutter/pod combo works great too (the other half of my fleet). And it owns too have a frigfleet combining ships of all 4 races. But i do fail too see why everyone is drewling over clippers, they do hit de effeciently but brigs are better at that (and at shooting frigs) and it means you dont have to have another shipclass. And in general, clippers t3 shots are wasted on fighters anyway.

And to answer the threads question, no thats a stupid zikfleet, and hell no its not common . And he doesnt have enough brigs to hurt you, just rape him with pegs.
Deathrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 13:24   #35
tamsu

tamsu is an unknown quantity at this point
it doesnt matter what ships do u have by your own - matter what def u can get (and can send also)
In that point of view this fleet isnt bad
tamsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:06   #36
Mi5
#Manchester

Mi5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ziks own
Round 3: 129:12:9 [ MiS A TAN of Assimilation ]
Round 4: 2:15:4 [ ArcAngel of Pestilence ]
Round 5: 29:7:6 [ Timmeh of South Park ] - quit for RL
Round 6: 3:10:7 [ =ArchAngel= of =Aesir= ] - Rank 24th quit 03/03/02
Round 7: 28:4:10 [ -Genesis- of -Deism- ] - i lasted a rnd \o/
Round 8: FRESHERS WEEK
Round 9: 21:1:10 [ Jago of Endouken ] - Suicide God
Mi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2003, 05:37   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I haven't really got anything to add to this thread except to say

WHAT XAN IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD CONSIDER BUILDING A DESTROYER FACTORY, LET ALONE A BATTLESHIP ONE?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2003, 08:47   #38
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Replying to month-old posts without quoting, and without reading that your point has been made already=the bad.
Oh, and to make you feel at home: Nodrog.
Unread 29 Apr 2003, 09:22   #39
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I haven't really got anything to add to this thread except to say

WHAT XAN IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD CONSIDER BUILDING A DESTROYER FACTORY, LET ALONE A BATTLESHIP ONE?
I would. A few xan BS keeps away those nasty caths without the need to build pds. It could scare off a few other xan and fast zik fleets as well.

It would depend on your gal though. In my previous round random gal I would have built the Battleship factory (though as one of the last things to build). In my current priv gal I might not, though activity here is dropping a bit as well.

I have to admit though: I only played xan in the beta. I might have tried it this round if I hadn't had so many xans around already.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2003, 19:27   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
Replying to month-old posts without quoting, and without reading that your point has been made already=the bad.
I knew it had been made.

I just felt it needed emphasising.

ps.

How do xan battleships (targets: fi/co) keep away cathaar fleets, which will probably by this stage be cr/bs?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2003, 22:39   #41
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
As an Xan i haven't even touched Fireblade research - I have a pure fi/co fleet with a few normal pods for when attacking BW-heavy cathaars, or even this weird Xan who had 5k vsh but nothing else
Unread 1 May 2003, 06:56   #42
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
ps.

How do xan battleships (targets: fi/co) keep away cathaar fleets, which will probably by this stage be cr/bs?
You already have ships to keep away cath Cr/Bs. Most caths don't switch to a Cr/Bs fleet.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote