User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jan 2005, 15:18   #1
hellwolf

hellwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Ship targets

[rant]
I know this may have been said, but ships that only fire at one class are not good, it leaves certain races open to attack early on before they can get the one ship they have to defend against a certain attack. this kinda turns them into an open target for a specific race for a large amount of early round time! also with the way defence works some races don't have an effective attack until they have certain ships

but it just makes it a more varied universe, you got to go back to having atleast Primarry and secondary, and all races having atleast two ships that target each class and one that targets all, it puts a lot more variables in the how to construcrt a fleet equation!

in r12 if you went about all the people of each race doing well had very similar fleet make-up, wheras back in the good old days of r6/7 it was possible to make atleast two tgypes of attacking fleet that were as good as each other, so you got some variety, if you had a fleet of one amount you couldn't be sure what type it was, as you could be for some races last round. I know it made the alliance DCs job alot easier, no need to get the scans , just that much fleet that race = we need ships to kill that type }=).

Come on ppl please bring back some complexity into the game!!

[/rant]

Xan since R7
hellwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 17:28   #2
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Ship targets

Single ship targetting = better for new players, as its simpler, but at the same time opens up new tactical ways of attacking for the players who have skill and activity.

Many many ppl are coming back to pa because of single ship targetting, and there is no valid reason at this time to change that.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 17:39   #3
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

should this be in suggestion forums?

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 18:06   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellwolf
[rant]
I know this may have been said
Yes, but at least you bring up some good points, unlike most people who say it.

Quote:
, but ships that only fire at one class are not good, it leaves certain races open to attack early on before they can get the one ship they have to defend against a certain attack. this kinda turns them into an open target for a specific race for a large amount of early round time! also with the way defence works some races don't have an effective attack until they have certain ships
But are these things bad? Getting Siege Weapon tech takes 121 ticks with Research priority 1. Yes, some races are open early on, but this balances out reasonably quick.

Quote:
but it just makes it a more varied universe, you got to go back to having atleast Primarry and secondary, and all races having atleast two ships that target each class and one that targets all, it puts a lot more variables in the how to construcrt a fleet equation!
With the current combat engine it would be meaningless. What's the point of choosing between two ships when you can easily tell which one is more efficient in all cases? I'm all for multiple targetting, but I think it requires an expansion of the combat engine, which at the moment is hideously simple.

Quote:
in r12 if you went about all the people of each race doing well had very similar fleet make-up, wheras back in the good old days of r6/7 it was possible to make atleast two tgypes of attacking fleet that were as good as each other
Only in round 7

Quote:
, so you got some variety, if you had a fleet of one amount you couldn't be sure what type it was, as you could be for some races last round. I know it made the alliance DCs job alot easier, no need to get the scans , just that much fleet that race = we need ships to kill that type }=).

Come on ppl please bring back some complexity into the game!!

[/rant]
I think the key thing here is that it's possible to reintroduce depth without adding complexity.

You don't need weapon speed, agility, guns and emp resistance to make stats at least as interesting as they were pre-PAX.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 18:39   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

everything Banned said.. but about the
"in r12 if you went about all the people of each race doing well had very similar fleet make-up, wheras back in the good old days of r6/7 it was possible to make atleast two tgypes of attacking fleet that were as good as each other"

that is still true, everyone has fr roiders and another roider which they have 2/3 other ships in that class thus you can have two roiding fleets (like my fi and fr xan fleets)
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 03:03   #6
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
everything Banned said.. but about the
"in r12 if you went about all the people of each race doing well had very similar fleet make-up, wheras back in the good old days of r6/7 it was possible to make atleast two tgypes of attacking fleet that were as good as each other"

that is still true, everyone has fr roiders and another roider which they have 2/3 other ships in that class thus you can have two roiding fleets (like my fi and fr xan fleets)
But you still instantly know which of the two it is by the eta/fleetsize. When I first came back round 12 after having quite start round 9.5 I found the single targetting very annoying. But it also opens up new possibilities and increases the necessity to work together in attacks and defence. For the rest what Banned said
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 03:32   #7
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

I think if you were to introduce multi targetting, you'd have to nerf the secondary and tertiary targeting guns in order to keep it balanced, but if lethality was reduced in confunction with adaptability, it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellwolf
I know it made the alliance DCs job alot easier
Having just spent a round doing a lot of DC work, I can tell you it wasn't completely simple, even if predicting a fleet was easy enough. You still had to work out where your ships were best spent. I have a terran with enough frigs to kill 3 quarters of an incoming cath cr fleet flakking past the roaches, and enough hydras to kill about a fifth. Which do I send? There's a chance that a terran destroyer fleet could appear and I have no pulsars available, but whether the hydras force a recall is chancy.
You want to dump an added layer of not knowing if his cruisers can secondary target frigates or cruisers onto that, and the pressure continues to mount.
We had MOs stepping down due to excessive pressure, and we didn't even have "big boy" incomings.

I have to say from that perspective with competition levels so high in the big leagues, that making ship combat that much more complicated doesn't seem to have much benefit. Especially since it would just change the fleet combinations, not remove or lessen them.

Logically though, a Battleship would probably target more than just fighters

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 08:41   #8
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

if you bring back muilt ship targeting people will go right back to wh0ring up on a few ships and the game will go stale even faster

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote