User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Sep 2004, 12:30   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Networking Question...

Got 2 PC's.

One ADSL connection.

Want to link the two (wirelessly) so they can both share the ADSL connection at the same time. Dont want them to be able to speak to eachother at all, and want to be able to limit the amount of bandwidth that one pc recieves.

This is way over my head, tried looking at dabs and all that but all I saw was a load of crap I dont understand, anybody able to shed any light on this for me?
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 12:56   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Networking Question...

adsl router innit.

or use one pc with two network cards.

first option is simplier and easier to setup, costs more though.

ps, http://www.adslguide.org

and http://www.adslguide.org/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet specifically.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 12:57   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If your ADSL is USB connection, how do you expect them to share the connection if they're not speaking to each other - this is what is confusing me.

I'm no expert in this (far from it) but I'd suggest you need one normal network card (£15ish), connected to a wireless access point (£100ish) and in the other one you'll need a wireless netwrok card (£50ish). But they will need to talk to each other. As for limiting bandwidth, there are programs that can do that easily I think.

Edit: yeah just go with NB3, like I said I'm no expert, just trying!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 12:58   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

dude! dont overcomplicate it with wireless!

:\

edit : imo, wireless isnt 'established' enough a technology to use yet. I've seen it have problems for no real reason when it should just be working.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 12:59   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
dude! dont overcomplicate it with wireless!

:\

He said he wanted wireless.....
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:00   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
He said he wanted wireless.....
oh. (work got 96 red bull free today. i've had 5 since 9am)

then he's living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he can set it up by himself :P

whilst its in theory possible to do, i'll bet money on him having problems.

ppps this is in the wrong forum but i like RIDS so its ok.

edit : what i mean is, if he's already admitting its way over his head, setting it up isnt likely to be a fun experience for him.

i think you should read adslguide.org a LOT first rids. better to know wtf you are doing in theory first at least
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:08   #7
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I dont want this at all.

Its my mother.

'I want to use the internet, all the time' - well get a ****ing net connection then bitch! But no, she keeps trying to use my PC, which to be fair to her, isnt ****ing happening. And we dont really have room for another jumble of cables around the house so wireless is pretty much the only option.

I can already see this shit is complicated.

Since my mum wants it, she can phone an IT technician bloke and pay for it, heh.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:10   #8
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

yeah, go with that idea.

ps, i could do it for a fee :P

(though dont you live somewhere southern and crap ? ;P)
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:11   #9
Rids
The Bad Guy

Somewhere southern, being London, its probably quite a drive and not really worth your petrol money mate.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:13   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

indeed.

who's southern on here..hmmm.

megla maybe, i think he's a southern ponce.
queball is iirc, he could prob do it.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:16   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
I dont want this at all.

Its my mother.

'I want to use the internet, all the time' - well get a ****ing net connection then bitch! But no, she keeps trying to use my PC, which to be fair to her, isnt ****ing happening. And we dont really have room for another jumble of cables around the house so wireless is pretty much the only option.

I can already see this shit is complicated.

Since my mum wants it, she can phone an IT technician bloke and pay for it, heh.

Thats pretty much the same situation I had except 'cos I'm not here all the time the connection is to her computer so it was me that wanted it and she couldn't be arsed with wires so she paid for wireless. It was easy to set up (teh only problem was I bought the wrong cable - can't remember if its meant to be crossover or not!) although the connection drops a bit too much for my liking when I'm upstairs.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:20   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it would only be a couple more cables, and it really would be an awful lot cheaper and more reliable to get wired networking
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:42   #13
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Get a BT Voyager Router
Get 2 BT Voyager USB Wireless LAN Cards
Plug router into ADSL line
Plug really simple , straightforward cards into USB port on each machine.

For some reason, the software is ****ed in a way that you cannot see other machines on your network or talk to other machines on the network, but when you run SOME games, itll pick up other machines on the network to allow you to play. (Works for CM 0304 , doesnt work for TOCA 2).

Cant help you on a bandwidth limiter though.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:42   #14
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

You are all wrong, he clearly needs to use the Super Hyper Compu Global mega net.

Last edited by Sunday8pm; 23 Sep 2004 at 13:48.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:45   #15
Rids
The Bad Guy

Petition to ban 8pm for repeated posting of the same inane drivel over and over again.
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 13:48   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you need an ADSL wireless router.
belkin do one.

then you need 2 wireless cards. either usb ones or pci ones. upto you.

that will work.

Ok , ill ban 8pm. Ive had enough of his bullshit
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 18:21   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

What is this unfunny 'hyper global net' crap and where did it come from?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 19:13   #18
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
you need an ADSL wireless router.
belkin do one.

then you need 2 wireless cards. either usb ones or pci ones. upto you.

that will work.

Ok , ill ban 8pm. Ive had enough of his bullshit
Or you could go to the effort of moving these threads to the IT discussions forum that you've decided to grace the top of these forums with.

Also show me love not hate.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2004, 22:34   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
megla maybe, i think he's a southern ponce.
If you think Nottingham qualifies as southern.

Fag.
Unread 24 Sep 2004, 02:00   #20
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Networking Question...

Get a wireless router & 2 wireless network cards (or "wlan usb sticks"). Alternative: Get just 2 wireless network cards (or "wlan usb sticks") and let the 2 comps share this one connection (keyword "ad hoc mode"). Drawback: The pc with the inet connetion needs to be online for the other to use it.

The difficult thing is limiting the bandwith. Either you install "NetLimiter" or something similar on the machine you want to limit. But the user could turn this limit off if wanted, and if the program crashes etc or whatever... Well... Can recommend NetLimiter though!

Best way would be to find a router that supports QoS, or you find another way how to do it (or set up QoS somehow) and tell me how you did it. Cheers.

Oh and for god's sake DO enable ENCRYPTION ("WEP" or whatever) so that only people who're supposed to share your inet connection.

Oh and YES: Somewhere SOME shitty problem will occur. I bet it's with the router configuration or the damned wlan driver software. It always ist.
Unread 24 Sep 2004, 11:25   #21
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
If you think Nottingham qualifies as southern.

Fag.
given that i came from doncaster and i now live in york.

you are a southern ponce.
Unread 24 Sep 2004, 13:16   #22
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
given that i came from doncaster and i now live in york.

you are a southern ponce.
Fine. Northern monkey.

Yes for god's sake use security like WEP, or better still WPA if your hardware supports it (it's more secure and doesn't have half the security holes of WEP).

A little common sense is advisable too. One of my mates has one of those iPaq things with WiFi on it and he was walking down a street the other day and it came up saying it had found a wireless network (so it wasn't using any security or encryption). Not only that, the name of the network was "Numer 45 <something or other road> Network".
You might as well hang out a poster saying: Oi scallies! Wireless networking equipment up for grabs in this house!
Unread 24 Sep 2004, 13:40   #23
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Using a Wlan right here at home, there are at least 3 other people in this street also using a Wlan.

The trick to Wlan security is quite simple, 128 bit WPA + MAC filtering + hide SSID. Also make sure to make your SSID something other then the default. With those measures it would take aproximately 2 to 4 weeks to crack the network, so just change the passcode every 2 weeks and you'll be fine.

As for Wardriving, everyone will be capable of seeing your Wlan if they have the decent software and hardware to do so, it's simply a matter of making it as difficult as possible. Most wardrivers only bother to scan an area to see wether or not there are Wlans in the areas, not to crack them.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote