User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 2 Dec 2002, 02:07   #1
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I installed Mandrake 9...HELP!

Okay, you all know how MDK is touted as the easy to config system yadda yadda yadda...

Well, it's true. I got a copy and installed it, the installer is a dream! So is the config, various window managers as standard, the whole works KDE 3 is WAY slow on my system but IceWM works great.

Now for the bad part

It TOTALLY, and I really MEAN totally screws up network config. It keeps trying to connect to the net over eth0 when I have dialup and have told it so repeatedly. To actually get online I had to manually set my default gateway to the IP address my ISP gave me and that's certainly not MY idea of how to run a server

On top of that, I can't even ping my xp box. The net monitor shows incoming and outgoing packets but neither will ping/whatever the other. There's no firewall (I think I deactivated it, I'm not sure with the crappy net setup on this thing) so that's not blocking it and it's REALLY doing my tree in.

I can set up SuSE (not traditionally the most friendly distro around) but not MDK. I've gone through resolv.conf, hosts, routing tables, the lot. I've tried setting it all up manually but no joy. Basically if you want to run a network (even 2 machines) give MDK a miss is my vote. That said, SuSE 7.2 kept falling over and this one hasn't yet so I'm gonna keep trying till the damn thing works properly even if it kills me.

The joys of crappy config progs
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 10:06   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
If I had a copy of SuSE 8.1 handy I'd happily use it. The version I have (7.2) is unstable to say the least which is probably why it was dropped for 7.3 so fast.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 11:01   #3
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
as ive said before, i run suse 7.2 without any problems at all on my laptop. it succeeded where 7.3 failed.. (i saw 7.3 fail on lots of things that 7.2 worked on)

my laptop is pretty stable, as are the servers (and there were quite a few) that we installed suse 7.2 on... enuf of the fud !

to get a network going (presupposing your network card drivers are installed via the kernel), as root type:

ifconfig eth0 <ip address>
route add default gw <ip address>
echo "nameserver <ip address>" >> /etc/resolv.conf

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 11:29   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Done, done, and done (sort of)

I'm at work so can't copy my routing table/ifconfig across but the network is (as far as linux is concerned) working. If I ping the linux box from the xp box I can see the packets arriving on the network monitor IceWM has in the taskbar and I can see linux sending it's replies but they never get there. Same if I do it the other way round and try to ping the XP box from linux

One question though, if my default gateway is set to the local net won't that route all my internet traffic that way rather than through the modem? That was the problem I had last night but I did route default gw <ISP assigned IP address> and things started going the right way.

There was already an entry in the routing table from pppd but that had the netmask set to 255.255.255.255, surely that should be 0.0.0.0?
das blinkenlights!!!