User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 17 Nov 2002, 19:34   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
CPU speed

The cpu is listed as:

CyrixInstead 6x86MX(tm)

in windows system information.

In the bios it's currently set to run at 166mhz, but the bios lets me put it up to 500mhz.

Considering the only cooling it has in the fan/heatsink on the chip what speed should it be running at and what's the most i can safely run it at?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 20:11   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: CPU speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
The cpu is listed as:

CyrixInstead 6x86MX(tm)

in windows system information.

In the bios it's currently set to run at 166mhz, but the bios lets me put it up to 500mhz.

Considering the only cooling it has in the fan/heatsink on the chip what speed should it be running at and what's the most i can safely run it at?
duh, 166mhz.

its impossible to tell without practise, iirc.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 20:13   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
yeh... try it out!!! and tell us how far you came before it started smoking!!!!
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 20:45   #4
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
clearly you keep incrementing the speed till it crashes when you run the comp, at which time you just lower it by 1 and there you are

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 23:38   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
166 MHz

Its a cyrix, it probably wont even run reliabley at that speed. I had to underclock my cyrix 233 to 166 before I could do most things.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 00:32   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Our first 'fast' computer was a Cyrix 200Mhz.
It ran like a 100Mhz Pentium and fell over backwards every 3 hours or so.
On top of that, anything FPU intensive was even slower (ie. any application involving lots of floating point calculations such as GAMES for instance ).

Cyrix are the devil.

Unread 18 Nov 2002, 01:46   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
drill it with a good ceramic drill bit, and use it for a keyring \o/

also pull/sand those pins.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 10:23   #8
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
How fast is the chip? It could be underclocked.