User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:06   #1
Erkenbrand
Moody

Erkenbrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Attention: Computer People

Right, I buy a game for my comp (128 megs of Ram), and for some reason the movies showing the developers and producers logos as well as the intro come across in a manner best described as jittery. This happens with every single game.

Its not a 'major' problem but it is seriously annoying me.
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:08   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
what are your comps specs?

what are the minimum/recommended specs on the box?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:09   #3
Karmulian

could be GFX card

btw we have a tech support forum for a reason
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:14   #4
Erkenbrand
Moody

I have the feeling its something very simplistic:

GeForce 3
128 RAM
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:25   #5
Bigchiefweale

got the latest drivers for it ?
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:36   #6
Erkenbrand
Moody

Uh-huh

This problem is happening with 3-4 year old games.
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 22:17   #7
Bigchiefweale

I had this problem aeons ago with i believe it was tomb raider 2. The Eidos? logo was jittery. Everything else was fine. Cant for the life of me remember if I fixed it b4 i upgraded
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:53   #8
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe you havea bad cd drive or havent enabled full hardware graphic acceleration or game cds are crap or need a new comb who knows

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 03:39   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
maybe you havea bad cd drive or havent enabled full hardware graphic acceleration or game cds are crap or need a new comb who knows
That was helpful

If anything, it might have something to do with your computer being too new, specifically your graphics card. I am personally unable to play several older games due to the fact that my video card doesn't register as a VESA compliant one.

It might be possible that the older games use certain outdated functions, algorithms or whatever, that your videocard executes in a not 100% compatible way.

If this is the case, you may want to do what many other computer users do: Get yourself a second PC, preferably a second-hand old box, just to play older games normally.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 04:00   #10
Bigchiefweale

When this happened for me it was on a new pc but the game had literally only just come out. So i doubt it was that :/

Since ive upgraded to a lot higher spec pc ive never encountered the problem
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 12:00   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
the sound card / sound settings might be the cause. I get that on some occasions because often each game needs to have the hardware sound acceleration turned all the way up or down.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:48   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigchiefweale
When this happened for me it was on a new pc but the game had literally only just come out. So i doubt it was that :/
According to Erkenbrand, his problem only occurs with games which are 3 or 4 years old. So dunno, heh
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 20:53   #13
Erkenbrand
Moody

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
According to Erkenbrand, his problem only occurs with games which are 3 or 4 years old. So dunno, heh
Apoligies for not explaining properly, but its happewning with newer games as well. I can't for the life of me think what it might be.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 14:04   #14
Cocaine

tried patches for the games ?
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 15:09   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
tried patches for the games ?
I doubt they fix the intro movies in patches, and have yet to see a game that has a fked intro movie.

Dunno what it could be, though. It sounds a bit like a driver problem, or a DirectX problem. Do you have problems playing movies in Windows Media Player?
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 15:34   #16
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
one game springs to mind, Conquest: Frontier Wars

the intro was fked up and jittery for me.

I just turned down the sound hardware acceleration and its now fine.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 20:41   #17
Erkenbrand
Moody

No I've tried turning off hardware accelaration and I have no problems with Media Player.

However I've been informed a couple of other people have been complaining about the combination of Win ME and a Turtle Beach sound card, which I have on this box.