User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 14 Nov 2002, 04:58   #1
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
This little thing is slowly dying

Its like a dying little puppy

I will try to give as much info as possible, but this thing is dying like anything

this is a athlon xp 1900+ running at a swift, yet underpowered, 1200 Mhz

"1200 Mhz?" you may say

yes, windows is pretty much reluctent lo load on 133 even though my motherboard can support it (its a MSI one, will get the model number if anyone would wish, i know its a arse make, but my abit went schitzo and i needed this for uni so a cheap mobo with USB was what i needed and what i got)

The thing is i heard it couble be to do with WIndows XP SP1

Now uninstalling this is a option, but i dont want to HAVE to install it later, and i would prefer to have the security updates it provides.

The other little problem is My SB Audigy card, but i think i may have fixed that problem, if not i will go into detail into it

The thing is i dont know of any fixes or workarounds for this 133 Bus Problem, if anyone has any ideas/Links then they will be appreicated

No GET LINUXSX!!! plz, it requires even more effort to get all these wonderful devices working, and the USB 2 compatibility is probably not there, due to limited driver support for things that may use it
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 06:20   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Usual questions...[list=1][*]What BIOS version are you using?[*]What model is the mobo?[*]What's your PSU?[/list=1]
Not that I'm overly likely to be able to help but I can almost guarantee those who can will want to know
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 09:16   #3
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
What is it doing, other than only running whilst underclocked? Blue-screening? Rebooting? When?
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 10:06   #4
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
GET LINUX!!!!

sorry cba to read the whole thread

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 11:18   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
GET LINUX!!!!

sorry cba to read the whole thread
maybe cos you can't read more than 2 lines
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 11:40   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Have you tried running another Windows??? 2k, ME, 98?

Certainly XP doesn't give you that many extras that keeps you from switching OS.
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 22:17   #7
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Have you tried running another Windows??? 2k, ME, 98?

Certainly XP doesn't give you that many extras that keeps you from switching OS.
What is it doing, other than only running whilst underclocked? Blue-screening? Rebooting? When?

Reboots while going into XP before the login screen

and bad slidey
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 01:00   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I assume you're usin DDR ram since I don't know an AXP motherboard that doesn't require it.
Some motherboards can be incredibly touchy about ram. Bluescreening/lockups/reboots trying to load XP is a classic symptom of the board not liking your ram.

Now, if you didn't know, your ram speed is linked to your front side bus speed - decrease the fsb to 100(/200) like you have done and you also bring the ram down from PC333 to PC266 - assuming you have PC333 ram.
Without getting too technical, in order to be able to support PC333 ram you have to effectively 'overclock' the bus between cpu and ram, since the max fsb speed is 266Mhz and we want 333Mhz. The get-around is a multiplier setting.
To support PC333, the multiplier is set to a 4:5 ratio ((266/4)*5 = 333 when rounded up). Why am I telling you this? Some motherboards allow you to manually controll the multiplier in case you want to bring down your ram to the slower speed. For example, on my Asus board there is an option in the bios called CPU/Memory Ratio, which can be set to 1:1, 4:5, or auto. If it is there and you have PC333 ram, set it to 1:1 to bring the ram down to 266Mhz.

While you may think this is going to impact your performance - think again.
Even if the ram is hopping along at 333Mhz, the processor bus speed is 266Mhz so the cpu can't keep up with the ram. Since throughput from the cpu to the ram and the ram to the cpu is the major deciding factor with ram vs. cpu performance, PC333 ram brings very little benefit to the system (it may be able to 'find' data slightly faster, but thats it).
I am running my Crucial PC333 ram at PC266 speeds because even my Asus board doesn't seem to like it at the higher speed - it doesn't crash during boot but does during games.
In fact, a couple of benchmarks on the system showed that ram performace was actually better at PC266 speeds with all the latency settings turned down to minimum (it's crucial ram so should be able to handle it) than at PC333 speeds at normal settings.

That may or may not be your problem, but it sounds quite likely to me.

ps. Most Asus boards should be ok with PC333 ram. However, I was daft enough to buy the board before reading the reviews, as it was on special offer. looking at the reviews, that was probably the reason it was on special offer.
Type Asus A7V333 problems into google and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 15 Nov 2002 at 01:07.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote