User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 13:53   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What the....?!

I was using my PC last night (had it playing music when we got back from a parteh). When I'd finished with it, I hit the suspend button on my keyboard as I usually do, and it went down fine (it goes into suspend to ram, so is basicly off).

I turn it back on today. Start up winamp, hit play. Nothing.
Hmmmm.
Check the system volumes - all on max. Try and play stuff in media player. Nothing. Try the radio on my TV/radio card - its very very quiet. I cranked up the volume on the speakers and could JUST hear a very corrupted version of the MP3 in winamp playing.

I figured that maybe the card didn't come out of suspend properly, so I shut the machine down, waited a minute, turned it back on, and waited for windows to start.
Try again - same thing.
Reboot and choose Mandrake instead of windows this time.
Still the same thing - so that rules out drivers.

By now I was suspecting hardware failure, so I shut down, opened the case, and looked at the card without taking it out - there was no visable sign of anything up with it (burn marks etc) and nothing against it that was shorting it.

I connected a second pair of speakers to channel 2 (its an SB Live 5.1) and booted windows again - this time I got sound, but out of both channels - so both sets of speakers were working now.
Sure enough, MP3s pay, all is fine and dandy etc.

For 10 mins or so.

When it starts doing it again.

I noticed it did it just as the fans on my PSU powered up a bit more (its a thermostatically controlled jobby). Afaik, the PSU fans run off seperate channels to the one the motherboard uses, but even so I figured maybe there was a power shortage to the soundcard. So I waited 10 mins for everything to cool down again, and started back up (windows), muttering profanities to myself.

I waited for the temperature to get high enough for the PSU fans to power up a bit more, and it carried on working.
It is still working now, 20 minutes since I powered back up for the final time, and the temperature is way above where it was when the failure happened for the second time (60C proc, 33 mobo - pretty standard idle temps for this machine in this room) - so that must have been coincidence.

So as far as I can tell, I've ruled out visible power shorts, low power, speaker faults, driver failure, and visible hardware failure on the card.

That leaves some kind of hidden power short (in the PCI slots itself for example, if that's buggered) or some wierd intermittant hardware fault on the card.

Incidentally, the PSU is 400W (not a cheapo one either) and should be more than powerful enough for what its supplying, which is:
Athlon XP 2000+
Zalman Silent CPU cooler, fan @1500Rpm
2 Seagate Barracuda IV harddrives.
Leadtek TV/radio card
Standard 10/100 nic.
GeForce3 Ti200 64Mb
And the bloody soundblaster of course.

I've only listed the "always on" stuff there.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused it? I don't like the idea of a randomly working soundcard.

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 13:56   #2
Cocaine

We should put your soundcard in the same machine as my 2 randomly sized hard disks.
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 14:01   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Random computing - the new way to keep techys permanently employed! \o/

Seriously though - any ideas would be appreciated. I've shut down, taken it out, looked at it closely and blown off the dust, looked in the PCI slot etc, and there was nothing visibly up with it.
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 14:07   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Have you tried replacing the sound card with another, or putting this soundcard into another box? That should give confirmation of whether it's your soundcard buggering up, or whether it's another component, like the mobo.
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 14:11   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I havn't got another box handy - I'm at uni and everyone else in this flat who owns a computer owns a laptop.

I would if I could.

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 16:13   #6
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Have you tried simply putting the soundcard into a different slot. When My machine decides to be an arse and juggles all the IRQ's around etc.. I just remove all the PCI cards and swap em about. This forces windows and the bios to go "Ooo, new stuff" and reload drivers and configs.

9 times out of 10 this works, however sometimes certain apps have to be reinstalled as the software doesnt see them properly (Firewall software hates net cards being moved).