User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Dec 2002, 09:50   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Networking and sheit

Alright.

I need to set up an ethernet in my house.. I have 4 computers, and I want the possibility of more. I know this requires a 5 port hub, but do I need any software (I need it so that all 4 comps can share the same connection)

Furthermore, I now have a computer without a monitor. Is there any way for me to remote access it, or set it up so it can share a monitor with another computer?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 12:47   #2
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
yes theres a software requirement, they must all have o.s's installed. If you want to access something remotely then maybe telnet into it?

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 12:52   #3
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Networking and sheit

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Furthermore, I now have a computer without a monitor. Is there any way for me to remote access it, or set it up so it can share a monitor with another computer?
To make it share a monitor you can use a KVM switch - it will also share the same kb/mouse using this method.

To get the command line remotely you can set up a telnet or SSH server.
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 15:15   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wont generally work if it's a PS2 mouse - if you 'unplug' them (ie switch it to the other machine) it won't come back on when you plug it back in again.

Allways a bit of a bugger, really.

Unread 1 Dec 2002, 17:07   #5
Lord211

Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
yes theres a software requirement, they must all have o.s's installed. If you want to access something remotely then maybe telnet into it?
wtf? NO! they must all be using the same network protocal, but it doesnt make a diference wtf os is insalled on each machine.

and there are many ways to remotly admin a machine, ssh, telnet, or vnc. vnc is particularly cool, as it lets you use a desktop on the machine you are vnc'ing to. worth a look.
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 21:32   #6
laney
Queen of England

laney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord211
wtf? NO! they must all be using the same network protocal, but it doesnt make a diference wtf os is insalled on each machine.

and there are many ways to remotly admin a machine, ssh, telnet, or vnc. vnc is particularly cool, as it lets you use a desktop on the machine you are vnc'ing to. worth a look.
where did he say that they needed the same os?
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 02:20   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Wont generally work if it's a PS2 mouse - if you 'unplug' them (ie switch it to the other machine) it won't come back on when you plug it back in again.

Allways a bit of a bugger, really.

That's why I have 2 mice on my desk Works fine for the monitor though and the keyboards ok as long as you don't flick back and forth too fast. Oh, and you'd best not take too much notice of the numlock light either
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 02:47   #8
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Alright..

The guys at CompUSA say that I need a router in order to share a connection, but my friends at school say I only need a hub. Who here is correct? Also, I want to dual boot linux and windows on one machine, and therefore I need to know how to set up linux to recognize the ethernet. How do I do that?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 13:08   #9
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
You don't need a router to share a internet connection. On Windows you can use Internett Connection Sharing, and it's possible to Share the Internet Connection on a Linux machine too.

If your going to install Linux, then check the Installation Manual to find out how to set up your ethernetcard. It's usually not difficult to set it up.

You can also look here for some Linux guides:
Linux Documentation Project
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 17:23   #10
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend
just attach one machine to the internet via a network card and the same one to your mini lan via another network card in the same pc
one would advise some sort of firewalling software on that machine though
set up this computer as a gateway on the other network boxes

depends which way you wanna do it
terminal services
vnc - doesn't care about OS as long as you got the corresponding OS version of the client installed - ie you can look at a linux box with linux vnc client installed from a windows box etc
screen for linux

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:56   #11
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
the guy who told you to get a router is a complete twat cause you dont, though you could use 1. A hub would be fine for a small network like yours, basically a router routes packets to computers on the desination port only so the other nodes arent flooded with packets and hubs broadcast it to all nodes, though its not a big deal unless you have alot of computers which you dont

p.s lord211 learn to read instead of making an ass of yourself

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 00:45   #12
Lord211

oops, must have been tired when i read that. :P

as for needing a router, as others have said, no you can just do

Modem -> computer -> Hub -> Other computers

in this case the computer attached to the modem is acting as a router. Im not sure if plugging a modem straight into the hub will work, im thinking it wouldnt.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:35   #13
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
the guy who told you to get a router is a complete twat cause you dont, though you could use 1. A hub would be fine for a small network like yours, basically a router routes packets to computers on the desination port only so the other nodes arent flooded with packets and hubs broadcast it to all nodes, though its not a big deal unless you have alot of computers which you dont

p.s lord211 learn to read instead of making an ass of yourself
iirc you are thinking of a switch. He still requires a router to share a connection, or 'route packets for other computers', whether that is hardware or software based is irrelevant.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 12:02   #14
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
iirc you are thinking of a switch. He still requires a router to share a connection, or 'route packets for other computers', whether that is hardware or software based is irrelevant.
correct

cheapest way is to just stick 2 network cards in one box
although remember that machine must always be on if you want packets from the internet on your other pc's

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote