User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:02   #1
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
advice needed

right. im building a new gaming machine. i have set a budget of £150 for a new graphix card. wot should i get. please tell me the price and where to get it online please

snaarffie
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:31   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
For that price, you're looking at a GeForce4 Ti4200 or Radeon9500 Pro.

There's a lot of online PC component stores in the UK, a few good ones are http://www.overclockers.co.uk, http://www.ebuyer.com and http://www.komplett.co.uk.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:32   #3
SnaarffiE

okie

which is the better o the 2?
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:38   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'd go for the 9500 Pro.

It normally performs about equal to a GF4 Ti4400 (which would probably also just fit into your budget), with a slight advantage for the Radeon9500 Pro. However, when you turn on Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing, the R9500Pro blows even the Ti4600 away.

This would be a good choice, in my opinion.
And this would be my second suggestion, if you can't wait until the R9500Pro above is in.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:44   #5
SnaarffiE

so thats the graphics card sorted. now i got a old 20gb ill keep for now

i need a sound card (mine dont work now) so again - which one but for a budget o max £75
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:47   #6
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Get the best soudblaster you can for the price. Or just go for a bog standard SB if you're just gonna plug regular speakers into it. I'm sure you can google for soundblaster
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:48   #7
SnaarffiE

hmm thats something speakers i have 1 :P should (from a gaming pov) go for the surround or is it not noticble?
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:49   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I assume it makes a difference in FPS type games but I dunno, I don't play them and I don't have surround
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:50   #9
SnaarffiE

hehe ill just get bog standard ones
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:59   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by SnaarffiE
so thats the graphics card sorted.
Well, it's just a suggestion. You probably still want to look around for better prices, I'm no expert on UK PC component websites as I normally only check Dutch ones
Quote:
i need a sound card (mine dont work now) so again - which one but for a budget o max £75
Well, the sound card you'd generally go for is the SoundBlaster Audigy Player, which is the best card around atm.

However, the TerraTec Aureon (which I don't think is out yet either, but should be soon), listed at komplett.co.uk for about half the price of the Audigy is looking to be a promising card from what I've read about it.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 02:15   #11
SnaarffiE

k
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:14   #12
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont get a soundblaster.
Creative wouldnt know how to write a decent driver if they hired another million programmers. All their cards are absolute cack and inevitabley have something wrong with them.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:15   #13
SnaarffiE

so wot card would u sergest
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:24   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

I've never had a problem with an SB under Windows (admittedly linux is a totally different and much more depressing story) but have had problems with other cards so I tend to stick with Creative now. Everyone always has their own opinion though.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 19:17   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Soundblasters do indeed have terrible drivers and even worse hardware implimentations (SBlives hog about a 3rd of the PCI bandwidth even when idle, and this has been carried over to the audigy to some extent).
Oh and Gayle - what problems have you had with sb's in linux? My SBLive trundles along fine under MDK9, although admittedly I can't get it out of 2 speaker mode.

The problem is that there's not really that many other widley supported technologies out there. As this is a gaming machine, you'll find the 3d hardware acceleration most games support is Creatives proprietry EAX (now on to EAX3) system.
Oh and Gayle
As for surround speakers - at the moment, it's not really worth it for anything other than movies. However, (and I know this is fast becomming a cliche) Doom III will be using surround a lot, especially now ID finally re-wrote thier crappy sound engine to support something other than A3D. There'll no doubt be a flood of Doom III engine games following on from the big one itself, so expect better sound comming your way.
Whether you want to build a system now based on a single game which won't be out till at least March is of course entirely up to you.

BTW, there's a leaked alpha of Doom III around if you want to try it - it's probably available on Kazaa.
Myself, I'd rather wait for the full version (or at least the demo) rather than running an Alpha that's several months old and crashes loads.

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 19:45   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
As for surround speakers - at the moment, it's not really worth it for anything other than movies.
Thief, Thief II and the upcoming Thief III

Also, the TerraTec Aureon series should support DirectSound, Sensaura 3D, EAX 1.0/2.0, MacroFX and A3D 1.0, which means it shouldn't have problems with any feature
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:20   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Oh and Gayle - what problems have you had with sb's in linux? My SBLive trundles along fine under MDK9, although admittedly I can't get it out of 2 speaker mode.
I get lots of failed modprobes even though it's set up properly. Actually, I don't any more because I disabled it, seemed a bit pointless when I don't have any speakers plugged into it

Apart from that linux issue though I get no problems whatsoever with WinXP and my SBProPCI. Of course that's not exactly a new card but as any MIDI data is routed to a Korg X5DR GM module (did I mention I play keyboards? lol) it's fine for me
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 10:51   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Erm...
A) Matrox have effectively withdrawn from the gaming market and now make multimedia solutions.
B) Matrox cards were never that great for gaming anyway (they had 'amazing' proprietry technology that nothing ever used).
C) It's a gaming machine. No doubt someone's going to disagree, but what's he going to be doing in linux, where very few games have support?
D) If I were you I'd check the nVidia site if you're after a manufacturer offering linux support.

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 12:15   #19
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Myself, I'd rather wait for the full version (or at least the demo) rather than running an Alpha that's several months old and crashes loads.

I just upgraded to 512mb DDR from 256mb PC133 and it's stopped crashing : )
Was running out of virtual memory before, now it runs smooth and stable o.O
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 08:32   #20
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
I'm still using my SB128 and is satisfied with it, even though it's a bit old. Bought a Maxi Sound Fortissimo once, but that one's back in the box since it often gave me scratchy sound(Don't ask).

Loved the SB Live i had once, but i forgot to disconnect my computer before i went to sleep one time i were drunk. A thunderstorm woke me up later that night, but it were to late and my computer were dead
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote