User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:10   #1
Apoc

RAM problem

Since a few weeks I am having a problem with my RAM, windows keeps on bringing up a message that I have insufficient RAM, and I checked it and indeed 500/512 mb is used. Then I quitted all my programs and made sure there weren't any programs running in the background, and I monitored it again and it appeared that there was still about 450mb used. Even when I rebooted and quitted all programs it was still about the same.

Do any of you have an idea what the problem might be, and how to take care of it?

Thanks already,
Apoc
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:23   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
What version of Windows?
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:31   #3
Apoc

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:49   #4
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
win98 doesnt support 512mb ram

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:54   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
win98 doesnt support 512mb ram
no?

I thought all Win9x supported up to 512 mb RAM.... hence, that's why I have 512meg in my comp and not 1gig (for the win9x support).
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:02   #6
Apoc

Erm, win98 does even support 1024mb ram if needed, and it sure does support 512 too as I've been using this system for about a year now and I haven't had any problems till now..
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 22:24   #7
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Win98 barely supports 256mb of RAM.

I have 384mb, and upgraded to XP Pro because I allways had close to 360mb used.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:13   #8
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
get ram booster from download.com i usually use it before i put a game on or if im laggin from downloading and the pc's been on for hours
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:20   #9
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ideally, get a better version of Windows, as 98 is mouldy poo
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:38   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
My old system had 384mb RAM and often needed to reboot when I got those "memory is low" type messages.

I found no decent cure to it.

However, having said that, my new system only has 256MB ram w/ Win98SE and I've been running the same number of programs, probably a few more and I've not had desktop windows memory shortages....

games is a different matter though....
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 03:31   #11
Atheist

Atheist is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought that cutoff for win98 was 7-something? Anyway, thats a real odd problem. Take some **** off your startup menu (start > run > msconfig > startup tab) and reboot.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 10:54   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wrong forum - moved.

BTW, win 98 memory leaks left right and centre.
Also, putting larger ammounts of ram in 9x systems (such as 512Mb) actually slows them down.

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 12:11   #13
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Windows 9x memory management was written by someone with the coding skills of a below-average chimp. Get NT.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 12:24   #14
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Windows 9x memory management was written by someone with the coding skills of a below-average chimp. Get NT.
George Bush worked for Microsoft?
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 02:44   #15
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
Quarterdeck's magnaram was created and designed for exactly this problem,
unfortunately it stopped being made in 97/98.

have a look about for it on some dubious sites of file sharing worth..