User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Closed Thread
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 22:19   #1
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Unhappy Oops..

spilled Orange Juice on daddies Laptop

spent a couple hours opening it up, and cleaning every single bit i could

monitor wasnt touched, nor was the ram, motherboard or harddisk

havent found the exact location of the graphics card...

some background: i have a password on the computer, so i have no possible way of finding out what keys are being sent to the computer.. i only see *****'s

now for the question,

when i press a key, some 4 or 5 *'s appear, like if i was typing 4 or 5 keys at once. Escape either sends out a *, or clears the screen.

Enter is located somewhere between the PageDown and the Arrows, all of them produce a return key at random intervals

Caps lock only lights up the LCD when pressed hard, or at random intervals

if i dont screw the keyboard back in, it beeps at me, and if i move it around, the beeps stop. Sometimes it even writes *'s without me pressing any key

Anyone experiences such thing? My belief is that the keyboard still has orange juice in it, so when i press a key it sends the electric output to the other keys around it, making it appear to write several keys at one

Im gonna call the technician tomorrow, and get him ready with a new keyboard by the 24th when my dad returns to portugal...

just had to share this
laugh at will ..
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:06   #2
Cocaine

heh

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:31   #3
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
ahahah cant be fixed

- Q
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:51   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You poured a nice sticky semi-conductive substance all over your keyboards electricity triggered switches.[edit]god that sounds terrible now i think about it[/edit]
A new keyboard is the best bet.

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 00:27   #5
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

yeh i also think its the keyboard

i really hope so ...
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 00:47   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Can't think what else it could be.
a) its acting like keys are stuck down
b) if he'd got it on the motherboard I'd be pretty surprised if it even turned on (well, turned on for any length of time before going "fizzle").
Oh - the reason you can't find the graphics card is because it's almost certainly integrated on the motherboard.

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 00:53   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
somone's gonna get spanked tonight...
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 00:56   #8
Flavius

i was smart enough to turn it off as soon as i spilled it ..

then i opened (damn thousands of tiny screws on those laptops), cleaned it, dried, put it back together..

i think there might be some juice still between the metal board and the thin rubber cover under the keys

ill just get a new keyboard..

luckeh - dad helped me clean it actually, and he gave me the number of the technician .. its an accident ffs
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 04:26   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
On the bright side, a new laptop keyboard will only be like £200.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 04:59   #10
Lord211

last year my roomate spilt shandy over his laptop and had to have the keyboard replaced

oh how i laughed

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 06:52   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Because he spilt his drink or because it was shandy?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 11:24   #12
Flavius

i washed it with water over night, and managed to remove most of the orange juice

plugged it in 5 mins ago, and managed to enter the password on the boot screen, im fiddling with notepad now

seems to be working now, except for a random space that comes out when pressing x, w or enter

i should search for a laptop keyboard tho, is it that expensive ?
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 12:26   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
A keyboard might be an electrical virquite, but is usually no more than a set of switches. And switches don't break easilly, even when liquids spilt on them. As long as there is no damage to the driver chip (which I doubt since all keys are still working) you should get away with drying it (very) thoroughly.
As for the random w,x,<enter> thingy: make sure you dried it properly. Try to dry it with a hair-blower (do you call those things that way?).

If that fals there might be damage/short cirquit in one of those lines (ya know, those conductive lines that run over the card) to.from your keyboard driver.
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 12:32   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
[BAnd switches don't break easilly, even when liquids spilt on them.[/b]
No, but soda drinks spilt over a keyboard tend to leave a sticky sugar coating when drying up - I'm sure you spilt coke or something on the floor once, and noticed that even after drying thoroughly the floor got rather sticky

It's the sugar which ruins your keyboard - as it can easily lead to those little switches getting stuck together - which creates exactly the described problems - keys randomly getting pressed when another key is pressed instead.

Also, the english word would be hairdryer
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 12:42   #15
Flavius

i lost the space bar

i havent touched the circuits, i believe there might be some residues between the rubber layer and the metalic board ..

anyone have any suggestions on how to remove orange juice from rubber and metal without ruining electric systems?
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 12:50   #16
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
use water? .. as long as you stay away from the chips

or you could always try the Cleansing Fluid-thingie..they work like charms;
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 16:44   #17
Flavius

wohooooo

everything appears to be working now, no more random keys output ..

the keyboard has lost that smooth touch of it, and unless needed, i can live with it like this
Closed Thread