User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 14 Nov 2002, 23:19   #1
Androme

2003 CPU's

Well I just read an article on P4 3.06GHz chip and it's made me think - will it be worth upgrading by the end of next year? (from roughly, gf2 64mb, 40gb hdd, 256mb sd, 1.8 p4)

article anyway -> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzg4 - *** SEE LATER POST TO SEE WHY THIS ARTICLE IS FALSE - or [ Click Here ]

if only it would cost cheap...
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 23:31   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
upgrading to what? 3ghz CPU and?

you'd need a whole new mobo, ram and stuff.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 00:11   #3
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
If you wait 'for it to be cheap', you'll wait forever.

Unless you're talking about graphics cards which do vary in price.
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 00:41   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
If you wait 'for it to be cheap', you'll wait forever.

Unless you're talking about graphics cards which do vary in price.
He means at the end of next year, Dec 2003.

But yeah, Intel cheap isn't the same as consumer cheap, look @ those prices for the celerons :eek:
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 01:20   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The old saying "buy what you need NOW" comes into play here.
I'm guessing you're thinking "****e, Doom III and all these other new games are on thier way and my system won't hack it" right?

Well Doom III ain't out until march 2003 or something - on top of that just about all the other games touted at E3 have been shoved back to Q1 2003 releases (Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Tomb Raider: AOD to name but 2) by which time the hardware required to run them will be half the price of what it is now, if not less. Buy the kit when you need it, not in advance.

However, I would point out some flaws in your system setup as it stands.
"256mb sd" - I assume by this you mean Single Data Rate SDRAM? If that is what you mean (I'd be surprised, but there you go) it will be dragging that processor down to about 2/3 of its proper performance. Fast ram is a must.
"gf2 64mb" - GF2 Ti or pro or whatever they called them, or GF2 MX? Either way, that is under powered for the processor and will be holding your games back. Consider a cheap GF3 Ti200 or an ATI Radeon 9000 if you really must upgrade right now.
"40gb hdd" - games are starting to clock in at 1gb or more now - you'll fast run out of space. UT2003 takes up 1.5ish, as does the newly released Rallisport Challenge. God only knows what Doom III will take, but put it this way; small, it ain't. If you upgrade that consider buying a decent 60 or 80gb 7200 RPM job with a good cache size to reduce loading times etc - Seagate Barracuda IV's are quite good (I own 2 of them). If you don't want to lose your setup you can use Norton Ghost to clone the current drive onto the new one and expand the partition to fill it - that way the new one can be your master and you can keep the 40gb one for MP3s/movies etc.

Thats it, I'm done.

As a footnote, I'm wondering if you've seen the Doom III E3 promo video? Just about everyone who's interested in Doom III has. That was done on a pretty standard machine by current standards, which just shows you how fast things have moved since then. Don't be fooled into thinking you're going to need an NV30 and a 3Ghz processor to run this game - when the game was into first tests, a GF3 was the height of graphics technology - so the game will run fine on one. Maybe not at super high resolutions, but it will run.
If thats not enough then a GF4 or Ati equivilant will be more than enough.

Unread 15 Nov 2002, 01:43   #6
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
"40gb hdd" - games are starting to clock in at 1gb or more now .... God only knows what Doom III will take, but put it this way; small, it ain't
As a footnote, I'm wondering if you've seen the Doom III E3 promo video? ...
I have a preview version of DoomIII. Weighing in at a 400mb zipped download (1.2gb unzipped), its limited to 640*480res with no options, and still looks stunning (when it doesn't crash). Plenty of tweaking to be done though. I get slowdown on my XP1700 / GF4Ti
: (
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 10:00   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez

I have a preview version of DoomIII. Weighing in at a 400mb zipped download (1.2gb unzipped), its limited to 640*480res with no options, and still looks stunning (when it doesn't crash). Plenty of tweaking to be done though. I get slowdown on my XP1700 / GF4Ti
yeah, apparently Carmack aimed for around 30fps on a Geforce3 Ti200 on max graphical settings @ 800x600, this game will be a system killer IMO.
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 13:31   #8
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

you mean the illegal warez version of DoomIII
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 13:57   #9
spanker

spanker is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

poke around in the config file and you can run any res you want in fullscreen. with some tweaking the game is almost playable =P
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 21:13   #10
Androme

I forgot to say really - should I upgrade for 2003 or would I be fine throughout the year - and thanks to Megla for answering most bits / me pokes megla`notaway - btw; the reason why I limited my stats there is because I've posted them a dozen times in this forum already so I was getting tired ;/

I have seen D3 movies - and the early alpha release is *lurking*cough* around the inet but it's too big for my modem atm : /
Unread 15 Nov 2002, 23:29   #11
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all
Quote:

I run the leaked alpha at 1280*1024 (change r_mode from 3 to 7)

If you look there are guides out there to tell you how to do things, like change the res, enable the flashlight etc etc

Have a look around.

My PC is a P4 2.53 @ 2.85GHz, 512MB pc1066 RDRAM @ 600MHz, GF4 Ti4600 @ 330/720, 240GB total space, the DoomIII alpha is on my best drive a 123GB 7200rpm drive with 8MB cache. Basically I have a very high spec PC, anyway, the alpha runs at around 20 fps on my comp at 1280*1024 with the medium graphical settings config loaded. If I load the high graphical settings it runs at 10 fps, except in the room behind the '924' door where it drops to 3-5 fps. I understand that this is a very early alpha, but if things don't change from now until the release you will need an uber PC to run it.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 01:05   #12
Bigchiefweale

things will clearly change. They just need to streamline the gfx engine. If anyone played the beta ut2k3 that appeared that would barely run on my machine. Was pretty much unplayable on medium settings (1.4 athlon, 256 mb ram, gf4 ti4200). The final release runs fine at medium spec, and I can even crank it up a little in places. It eats memory though :/
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 22:23   #13
Androme

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00187/

that P4 3.06 GHz article was a fake ...
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 13:27   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00187/

that P4 3.06 GHz article was a fake ...
there are plenty others though.

the 3ghz chip must be real though, since I've seen it today in a newspaper advertisement...
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 00:28   #15
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!

there are plenty others though.

the 3ghz chip must be real though, since I've seen it today in a newspaper advertisement...
I didn't mean 'fake' heh - wrong wording :/

it seems the [H] owners were doing some kind of scam or somein as the benchmark scores kept on changing for some odd reason and when ppl reported it, the threads deleted, users banned and other users deleted with a response like "do not annoy me" and stuff - it seems they were bribed by Intel most likeliest as of the 'big' banner that appeared only a few days ago
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 01:42   #16
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme

I didn't mean 'fake' heh - wrong wording :/

it seems the [H] owners were doing some kind of scam or somein as the benchmark scores kept on changing for some odd reason and when ppl reported it, the threads deleted, users banned and other users deleted with a response like "do not annoy me" and stuff - it seems they were bribed by Intel most likeliest as of the 'big' banner that appeared only a few days ago
I follow madonion, so I know