User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 11:03   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
problems with ident in linux - rah

Right - this isn't exactly an ident problem, but it's the best way I can think to introduce it.
The bouncer i connect to requires the ident field to be "megla". My uni firewall blocks ident requests (well, it blocks port 113 anyways) so ident is filled in from the info given in the irc USER statement.
Under windows (with mIRC) this is not a problem, as mIRC presumably passes "megla" as part of the USER statement.
However, under linux (mandrake 9.0) it INSISTS on passing the name of my local account, which is "matt". I can't find any way out of this, and it does it under both xchat and KSirc - neither has an option to force this, that I can see. Every possible field is filled in as "megla" in both of them.
I can connect to it under linux via telnet, so it does work - but this has the obvious disadvantage that IRC via telnet is ****. I can connect to it with simply the NICK and PASS commands - USER is not required (its psybnc, as far as i know).

Any ideas?
Creating another local account called "megla" just to get on the bnc is not an option, btw.

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 12:14   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Re: problems with ident in linux - rah

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
...mIRC presumably passes "megla" as part of the USER statement...
Yes, its the prefix part of the email address you set in the options, megla@home.planetarion.com, for example. To connect to my different BNC logins I just change that part.

Maybe you could check for config files in those clients, some do have options to control automatic ident/usernames, etc. Maybe even check the source code and recompile.

On the other hand, you could always find a new client, rename the login for your bouncer, or even connect a bouncer to that bouncer with the login 'megla', heh. Which BNC is it btw?
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 14:12   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The official PA Team one (not that it'll be around for much longer heh).
Hence why I can't alter the login.

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:12   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
In xchat, the username can be set from the server list window (least unobvious), or using /set username, or editing ~/.xchat/xchat.conf.

The username in ksirc takes some digging to find, but here's the line in perl:
$username=$opt_u || $ENV{"SIRCUSER"} || $ENV{"IRCUSER"} || (getpwuid($<))[0] || $ENV{"USER"} || "blah";
So you change it by setting the environment variable SIRCUSER or IRCUSER.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:22   #5
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
kill identd if running.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 18:18   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Ta quey, i'll try that when i next happen to be in linux.

Inf - are you sure that would make a difference? Remember my client never sees an ident request as the firewall blocks it. Its definately blocked by the uni, as mIRC never gets an ident request either (hence I have the incredibly agravating wait for the IRC server to finish waiting for the reply before i can get on).