User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 24 Nov 2002, 19:12   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Routers, NAT & dual monitor setups

At home here I have 2 computers which need to be connected to a cable connection. At the moment I have my own computer run win2k server with a NAT RAS service and have the other comp connected to it by a second network card.
All in all this works fine, but my computer is getting a bit cramped inside and I actually want a dual monitor setup.
I have no idea how to set up a dual monitor system but I guess I need a second videocard for that, so I need some place in my computer for that.
The plan was to throw out the second network card and place a few-port router here next to the computer that handles the traffic so I can stick a second videocard in the empty PCI slot.

The router has to run a NAT service though because I only have a single IP address. Is a NAT service standard in routers, or is this only something of RAS servers?

Ofcourse, I could buy myself an old computer and install a RAS server on that, but what is easier than plugging in a small box, that doesn't consume much power and doesn't make any noise?

PS, yes I have also considdered finding myself an old 386/486 and running a router from a floppy on that, but the "finding an old 386/486" part is a bit difficult.
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 22:22   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
you don't need two gfxcards for dual monitor setup if your GFX has the capability...

what GFX card do you ahve right now?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 22:35   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Most GeForce cards have dual monitor outputs, and so do several ATI Radeon series cards.
No second display adapter required.

Note: the second output is usually a DVI output, but you can buy a simple adapter to connect a CRT to it if you need to.

Unread 24 Nov 2002, 22:44   #4
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Netgear MR314 wireless router. It does NAT/DHCP & simple firewall, has a 4 port 10Base-T switch, wifi etc and costs about £140.

An alternative you could try (if you can do it under XP) is to allocate 2 IP addresses to the interface in the main box. As stupid as it seems a single interface router isn't that unusual and you have it all configured, just need a cheap hub to connect it all together.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:22   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I DO have a GeForce2 GTS, 64 meg, TV out etc etc.... I'll see if I can do it that way.

Still, the router part remains, as I constantly have fights with my little bro whenever I have to reboot or messing about (ie: disabeling his interface so his little game and MSN disconnects)
Also, I could charge him for the internet use that way, since he then has unlimitted access 24/7
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 08:36   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

oi, any more suggestions for routers with NAT ability?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 11:48   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
You can buy four port router/switch/firewall solutions for DSL connections with only one Auto-assigned IP.

I have one by a company called Linksys (www.linksys.com)

This one is without a firewall so is probably cheaper

This does all the NAT for you.

If you were to go for using the "Windows as a Router" approach, Im not sure if you can configure NAT on a DHCP enabled card (Ie both cards need to have Static Addresses - which means you couldnt talk to the modem via TCP/IP.

The "Other" way would be to configure your "Routing" PC as a Proxy server, using some sort of freeware proxy software (http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm is a good start). This will allow net surfing using the same modem but I think gaming might not work so well.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 21:03   #8
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
i bought a draytek vigor 2200 a while ago to share my cable connection. its easy to configure, i have never problems with it and it has NAT ability. they have 4 different routers, some also with isdn or wlan ability, so make sure u get the right one.

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:43   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
multimonitor is piss easy - I have a triple monitor setup here and I find it extremely annoying when I have to use a PC with just one monitor ..

IIRC the GF2 dont by default have dual outs - they started coming in more at the GF3 phase, and only regularly appearing in the GF4 range (altho you can still find a GF4 with only a single out). Otherwise, you are on a bargain hunt for a cheap PCI card. The second card in my box is a Matrox Millenium II 4MB - should be about £5 at a computer fair, if that. Ask your company if they have any junk PC's you can buy from them - they often do, most of my PC's come from cannabilised parts.

If you dont run win2k, dont bother. If you run linux, dont bother either

Unless you like 1/3rd of your total screen real estate being taken up by bloody widgets and toolbars, not being able to move windows between screens etc...

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 08:08   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
IIRC the GF2 dont by default have dual outs - they started coming in more at the GF3 phase, and only regularly appearing in the GF4 range (altho you can still find a GF4 with only a single out). Otherwise, you are on a bargain hunt for a cheap PCI card. The second card in my box is a Matrox Millenium II 4MB - should be about £5 at a computer fair, if that. Ask your company if they have any junk PC's you can buy from them - they often do, most of my PC's come from cannabilised parts.

If you dont run win2k, dont bother. If you run linux, dont bother either

Unless you like 1/3rd of your total screen real estate being taken up by bloody widgets and toolbars, not being able to move windows between screens etc...
Well, the more reason I need more room in my comp....
How do you mean I don't have to attempt this WITHOUT win2k (or XP I guess) ? Do win9x have such bad dual monitor support?
And I always believed Linux was quite decent with dual monitor setups!
I run win2k server ATM and don't plan on going back to any 9x version .
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 17:01   #11
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to have dual 15"`s on my old win98se machine worked fine irc in one window quake in teh other

i setup dual 17" flat panels on my boss`s machine the other day in win2k took about 5 mins to setup and works a charm
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 15:01   #12
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
win98 has very bad multimonitor support - its incapable of driving at different resolutions or refresh rates, Win2k is slightly better, but depends on graphics drivers more - matrox and ati win here. WinXP is ace for multimonitor - probably win2k would be also with SP3.

Linux is fking awful at multimonitor - why do you think I run XP? Basically, Xinerama (the feature that allows you to treat the desktop as one big screen) is supported very poorly by any windowmanager, including the latest and greatest. On top of that, Xinerama doesnt support disparate resolutions or refresh rates, so my 3 monitors all have to run at 1024x768. Next, DRI doesnt work with Xinerama enabled so you can wave byebye to any 3d acceleration.

Next, its very indiscreet with taskbars, tending to take up about 1/8th of your screen real estate with task bars and the like - well instead of getting that on one monitor, you get it on 3 monitors - oodles of wasted space.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 17:27   #13
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend
smc barricade 4 port switch and nat router - £90 - I use a couple of them here at work - they are very good and reliable - you can even plug a printer into it for the whole world to share if you like

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote