User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 19 Nov 2002, 13:07   #1
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
DDR memory and PCI cards.

I've just upgraded my machine to DDR memory (2x256mb 333Mhz chips, from Kingston), from SDRAM. But for some reason my PC will no longer boot with both the DDR ram and my PCI IDE card in. It doesn't even get to POST, no error beeps, no screen, nothing.
Works fine without the card or the DDR ram in, but not both together, which is sort of annoying when you have 6 IDE drives :-/

The mobo is an Elite ECS K7S5A, and the PCI card is this.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, and know of a way to fix it?

Last edited by xtothez; 19 Nov 2002 at 19:40.
xtothez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 16:26   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Sounds like something in the bios needs to be switched on or off.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 19:37   #3
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Sounds like something in the bios needs to be switched on or off.
It's locking up before the BIOS settings are even looked at...
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 21:50   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
First i've heard of it...

Your situation is odd, since both items work but just not together...

Maybe the PCI card has a DDR RAM allergy?

Sorry, I'm no help at all
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 23:32   #5
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Actually Lucky was closer than I first thought. Althought I didn't find a 'Stop Crashing When Loading IDE Card With DDR RAM" option in the BIOS, I did checkup on ECS' website. Turns out there is a known boot fault with RAID cards by the same manufacturer as my IDE card... and an updated BIOS ROM. 10 minutes later and I'm happily running with 512mb DDR, 4 hard drives, a DVD and a CD burner all in one happy rig.

: )
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 23:37   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

I r teh winnah! \o/