User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 17 Nov 2002, 21:26   #1
Rythms

Comp Problem

I kinda fecked my old comp in the try to put both of my comps into the same network.

on my oldcomp, i had no CD-Rom driver installed, so i put the HD of it and plugged it into my current comp, ofc the windows setup installed every hardware driver for my current comp, but not for my old one.
when i plugged the lil,old HD into my old comp again it didn't show me anything on the screen, and the monitor appeared to be fecked.

now my question: what can i do to restore the functionality of my old comp?
i want to use it for network stuff, maybe host a lil webserver for tests on it..

is it enough to plug out the bios battery or what can i do else?
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 21:59   #2
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a Comp Problem

tried formating it in your new comp?

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2002, 22:05   #3
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Comp Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Rythms
when i plugged the lil,old HD into my old comp again it didn't show me anything on the screen, and the monitor appeared to be fecked.
Does the PC go through POST (all the BIOS msgs and RAM check, etc.)?
Can it boot of a dos boot floppy?
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 09:16   #4
Rythms

AS i said, when i turn it on there's nothing at all.
the screen appears to be automatically turned off ..
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 10:17   #5
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
First time I ever took a hard disk out this happened to me. Check you haven't plugged any of the IDE cables (the grey ribbons) in upside-down. My computer at the time would not even attempt to boot if you got one the wrong way up - it looked very much like something major had gone tits up.

There's three ways to tell if you've plugged the cable in the right way up. Ideally there's a raised notch on one side of the cable which corresponds to a notch on the disk/motherboard connector, which makes it impossible to plug them in wrong. Failing that, there's a red stripe down the side of the IDE ribbon - this should line up with pin 1 (often nearest the power connector).

The third option is just to try them in all ways :O) If I were you I'd completely disconnect the ribbons from the motherboard to see if it boots without them. If it does, plug in one cable at a time, verifying each one works as you go, until the computers back to normal.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 10:53   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Also make sure you didn't accidentally hit any of the PCI/AGP cards... They might prevent your computer from booting too if they aren't stuck in correctly.

Last edited by Structural Integrity; 18 Nov 2002 at 11:02.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 14:17   #7
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
putting on the power cord have a tendency to help too....
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 09:08   #8
Rythms

So far, it's still not even doing that beep when the bios checks for the graphic card .. i turn it on, and both of the lights (yellow for hd keeps lighting) are on,and nothing happens...
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 12:54   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Try Re-Seating everything like others have said, CPU and memory included.

Failing that, it might be a bent leg (oo-er) on one of the IDE pin connectors on the MOBO.