User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Nov 2002, 21:57   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Will this network set up work?

I have a Netgear Wireless Router, A netgear Wireless USB card and satellite internet (usb modem)

I'd like to get my other PC in the house on the internet.

Can I Run the satmodem into my USB and then from a LAN card > into the router and then from the router to the wireless card?

Would it work, or does the router have to be the first point inbetween a pc and the modem.

Thanks

Code:
[ CABLE MODEM ]
       |
       |
       V
+---------------+ lan
|      PC       | ----> [ ROUTER ]
+---------------+           |
                            |
                            V
                       [ WiFi Card ]
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 22:27   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
very off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
I have a Netgear Wireless Router, A netgear Wireless USB card and satellite internet (usb modem)
i love gaming lag oh oh oh
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 23:20   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ask a silly question, but why have you got the router there when there's nothing else connected to it?
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 23:55   #4
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
I just bought it.

I bought it because i bought it in a certain way that saw me get it and the card for around 30 quid.

i think i'll turn dhcp off so it acts as a normal switch, that should work a charm.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 00:20   #5
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
I got one of those, damn nice bit of kit.

Should be easy but you've basically got the wrong bit of kit for it and need to use it as a normal switch/hub.

Basically sat modem into PC, PC into wireless switch.

You then need to create a static route to 192.168.0.0/24 to use the dhcp'ed interface. This will prolly happen automatically when the address is allocated, not sure.

You will also need to set ip forwarding on your PC (the sat connected one).

As I can barely spell PC I dunno how to set IP forwarding on one.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote