User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 17:18   #1
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Laptops

Hello, I want to get a laptop for work purposes, and I dont wanna pay too much for something that is pretty but dont fly. Can anyone suggest and good UK based sites? I dont want it to run the latest games, but I dont want some 5 year old pile of trash either.

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 17:39   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Laptops are useless for gaming, full stop - you just can't get the graphics hardware in them.
One of my flatmates has an AthlonXP 1700 based one (well, whatever they call thier 'mobile' processor AXP equivilants) and it can run the original UT acceptably, but not much else.

For laptops generally, I hear good reports about Dell. You can check out what they offer on thier website - and buy online too, if you like.

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 18:26   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
my m8 bought a decent dell laptop online from that outlet section for about £1k and it was decent specced too.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 20:55   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
http://www.ajp.co.uk/

Really cant fault them. Great Prices, Great spec and great service.

And unlike alot of brands that you will see on TV or in your local computer superstore you dont pay for the name which results in a machines that regularry come out top in magazine reviews of laptops
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 22:58   #5
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
www.ebay.co.uk

Go to the last page of the laptop listings and work your way forward, looking for Buy It Now! deals that no-one else has seen yet. I saw a 3 month old 900Mhz IBM laptop for £750 the first time I had a good look.

If only :O/
Unread 9 Nov 2002, 00:31   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
that's a bit much, what were the rest of the specs?

the dell laptop my m8 ordered was a P4 1.9Ghz (512k cache), 256MB PC2100 ram, DVD/CDRW combo, ethernet/modem section, 2usbs, 30gb HDD, removable slot for another CD drive or floppy, 32mb Ati Mobile GFX, 15.1" screen, and some other slots/ports

all for just over £1k including delivery.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2002, 14:01   #7
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought a dell laptop over hte phone (i specced it online and then phoned them as im v. untrusting of using my cc on the net). it took about a week to arrive but it wasnt too bad

a lil while down the line its falling apart now.. the screws are falling out of the bottom, some of the keys on the keyboard are a bit dodgy and teh screen is filthy. other than that its been pretty good for me. their customer support isnt too bad either

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote