User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 2 Nov 2002, 22:54   #1
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
the oldest most compatible rig i can make.

i want to make a new pc. I want it to be as old as possible,so it will work with as many old games (i.e pre 2k ) as possible. To this end i would like to know what you feel were the best bits of kits around then,that worked with the most amount of games. Os will be win95 with a dualboot of dos if thats possible.

oh,and whats VESA? i know its to do with graphics cards,but what is it exactly?
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 22:59   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
my pc

pIII 733mhz
384mb RAM
****ty Ati Rage Fury Pro 32mb card

put win 98se on it, and u have urself a decent machine to play games
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 23:09   #3
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
my pc

pIII 733mhz
384mb RAM

pre 2k? im talking about stuff like constructor,whos mimimum specs are as follows:

Windows 95
Pentium 75 Processor
16 MB RAM2x CDROM Drive
2 MB SVGA Windows 95 compatible PCI video card
4 MB Hard Drive Space
DirectSound 2.0 compatible Sound Card
Mouse

DOS
486DX2/66
16 MB RAM
4x CDROM Drive
4 MB Hard Drive Space
1 MB Vesa video graphics card
MS-DOD 6.0 or greater
SoundBlaster or 100% compatible soundcard

this is what kind of pc im talking about. an old one. very old.
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 23:43   #4
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
i ran constructor fine on my pc

why do you want an old pc anyway? get a decent one which will run old games aswell
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 23:54   #5
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

becuase im skint. i have no money. sothe oldere and hence cheaper the better. i might consider the graphics card you have.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 00:00   #6
Flavius

i did a benchmark on my system today

i get 430 3dmark points

some people are getting 12000 lol

depends on how much ur willing to spend too, and where the hell you live

look around on eBay
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 13:56   #7
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
You won't have to pay to get a machine like that
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 16:28   #8
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
http://listings.ebay.co.uk/pool1/pli...x.html?from=R4
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:46   #9
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
You won't have to pay to get a machine like that
this was the idea. get it dirt cheap.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:59   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by clarencetheclockworkcake

this was the idea. get it dirt cheap.
Find a company that uses computers, like data processing places or something, check their skips
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 20:07   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What you'll probably want to aim for (depending on the games you want to play) is something like this:

Pentium 166MMX
32Mb EDO RAM
3Dfx Voodoo Banshee 16Mb
1-5Gb Hard Disk
Sound Blaster AWE64
8-20x CD-ROM Drive
15" monitor

This should enable you to play any old game without overkilling it. Program such as Mo'Slo or Turbo can help if even the 166MMX makes them run insanely fast.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 20:19   #12
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Program such as Mo'Slo or Turbo can help if even the 166MMX makes them run insanely fast.
Play Theme Park on a 1GHz + machine, it's funy
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 21:15   #13
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk

i've tried that....was disappointed
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:02   #14
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
VESA is an old video chipset type.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 22:02   #15
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
my pc

pIII 733mhz
384mb RAM

You'd be surprised at how many games refuse to run on anything later than Win95, or any CPU made after the PII. I was quite annoyed to find that even if I dropped back to my oldest version of Windows, my Athlon would not play Space Hulk, while my sister's ****ty Cyrix machine ran it happily.

: /
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:13   #16
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Cyrix 0wn0rs you X
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:46   #17
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk

Hi-Octane is truly absurd. Turn all the graphics detail off and you're racing around at around a mile a second.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:56   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Heh - I remember that game.

It was too fast on a P200, never mind todays stuff...