User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 26 Dec 2002, 15:26   #1
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Building a new pc

What are all the parts im going to need to build a new pc eg motherboard, graphics card etc

also were would the best place to be to buy pc cases
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 15:32   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
a case
a motherboard + ram + cpu
a power supply unit
a couple fans
a sound card
a graphics card
a network card
a floppy drive
a cd-rom/dvd/cd-rw/cd-r/dvd-r drive
a monitor
a sound system
a couple fans
a mouse
a keybord
a box of floppy disks
a scanner
a box of blank cd's
a printer
a 2nd monitor

oh oh, im going overboard ..

soz
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 15:56   #3
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
You dont say what you want the PC for. Thats helps alot when speccing up a new one. Is it a normal desktop/general use type machine, would you need extra power for games, what sort of network/internet connections are required, etc etc...

Bare minimum:

Case
Mainboard
CPU + fan
RAM
Hard disk
Keyboard
Graphics card
Monitor
Mouse (maybe not bare minimum, but I am assuming you want to run a Windows desktop machine for now)
Floppy disk drive
CD-ROM of some sort

----

If you are more specific with what you want, I can be more specific with an answer. The 'bare minimum' above is that for a Windows desktop, some machines can run without some of that if needed).
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:03   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
technically, you dont need a case..
but i wouldnt wanna run a pc in bits on the floor...
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:35   #5
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
mostly for gaming and downloading and watching movies already have broadband so connection isnt a problem
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 17:32   #6
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
mostly for gaming and downloading and watching movies already have broadband so connection isnt a problem
It is if you need to know whether or not you need a Ethernet connection for a cable modem/router, or just a USB connection for an ADSL modem, etc.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 17:44   #7
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
It is if you need to know whether or not you need a Ethernet connection for a cable modem/router, or just a USB connection for an ADSL modem, etc.
usb modem it is
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 17:52   #8
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

what would be the best motherboard to get.
im thinkin of gettin an athlon xp 2000 for the cpu
and what kind of cooler would be the best for it
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:08   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
what would be the best motherboard to get.
im thinkin of gettin an athlon xp 2000 for the cpu
and what kind of cooler would be the best for it
Depends what you mean by best...

If you want quiet then apparently those Zafman thingamebobs are great. I just use a standard £10 fan/heatsink on my xp1800 and it stays cool but sounds like a jet engine. Or you could go for a full on watercooling solution if you want to OC it. Basically it all depends what you want to do with it and what your noise parameters are.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:09   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Mobo : Asus A7N8X Deluxe
CPU : A2100XP+
MEM : 2100/2700 DDR 512meg
Cooler : For Cpu try and just get the generic AMD one. comes with heat sink and fan and has a 3year warrenty so if your processor blows up (presuming you havnt overclocked it) theyll replace it immediatly.

Also for the case you might need fans. my thermaltake case came with 5 preinstalled and im using 3 of em (1 exhaust and 2 intake) however tbh i think you only need 1 of each. an intake and an exhaust unless you are planning on run top spec gfx card and top spec processor.

Recommend the Western Digital 7200RPM 8meg cache Caviar harddisks.

if your interested in a case i would highly highly highly recommend the thermaltake one.

look at www.scan.co.uk or www.thermaltake.com for more info.

its full tower so has plenty of room for moving about and the floppy and hdd bays are all detachable so fitting them is easy. also comes with case fans preinstalled so you are kinda saving money.
tis not the cheapest of cases tho but its built well and looks rather ace.

other places that i havnt bought from but trawled through looking at cases =

www.komplett.co.uk
www.caseheaven.com
www.ebuyer.com
www.novatech.co.uk

hope that helps
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:24   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
CCL have a windowed Nokia case in silver or blue for a touch under £30. One of my cases is just about falling apart so if you (or anyone else) fancies one of them you could let me know what it's like before I think about buying one
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:28   #12
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition 8MB Cache (OEM) (HD-000-WD)
Overclockers - Price: £78.00 (£91.65 Including VAT at 17.5%) <-- this week only
scan.co.uk - Price £80.75 £94.88
dabs - ex VAT £82.56 inc VAT £97.00

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Socket A) OEM (CP-019-AM)
Overclockers - Price: £58.00 (£68.15 Including VAT at 17.5%)
Dabs - Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHz SoA £62.50 £73.43
Scan - LN4244 AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHz) with AMD H/S/F 3 Yrs Warranty 62.20 73.08 or
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHz) Palomino Core 57.20 67.21
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 20:53   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
Mobo : Asus A7N8X Deluxe

you DID remeber to buy your DDR in two sticks, so you can get one of the main performance increases of that board didnt you ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 22:23   #14
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

• Case <-- still looking
  • Mainboard <--- dont know yet
  • CPU + fan <-- athlon 2000+ includin heatsink, fan + 3 year waranty (bought)
  • RAM <--- have a 256mb sdram probly gona buy ddr
  • Hard disk <--- 80gb western digital (bought)
  • Keyboard <--- optical one maybe
  • Graphics card <--- some agp card
  • Monitor <--- flat screen maybe or 17'' normal one
  • Mouse <--- optical one
  • Floppy disk drive <--- use current one thou only cost £10 most places
  • CD-ROM of some sort <--- ill use current one.
  • CD-rw - Might have to get a new one current one seems balls
  • Speakers - Complete new system
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:49   #15
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe -
nForce-2 - x8 AGP+Lan+6Ch Sound+SATA+1394+SATA-RAID+USB2

Scan - £102.75 ex. VAT £120.73 inc. VAT
Overclockers - Price: £107.55 (£126.37 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Crucial 256MB DDR PC2700 CAS-2.5 (MY-008-CR)

overclockers - Price: £52.50 (£61.69 Including VAT at 17.5%)
crucial - £53.99 ex VAT + free postage
dabs - £55.68 £65.42

would that memory work properly on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 12:07   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I cba to check but are you sure those memory prices are correct. Overclockers are normally at least a pound more expensive than Crucial on the memory and Dabs normally in the middle of the two
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 12:51   #17
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe -
nForce-2 - x8 AGP+Lan+6Ch Sound+SATA+1394+SATA-RAID+USB2

Scan - £102.75 ex. VAT £120.73 inc. VAT
Overclockers - Price: £107.55 (£126.37 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Crucial 256MB DDR PC2700 CAS-2.5 (MY-008-CR)

overclockers - Price: £52.50 (£61.69 Including VAT at 17.5%)
crucial - £53.99 ex VAT + free postage
dabs - £55.68 £65.42

would that memory work properly on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe

yes. the mobo supports speeds upto PC3200 and from what i can gather playing in the bios it allows pc2100 too. anything lower and im not 100% certain.

also with this mobo you no longer need to buy :

Sound Card,
Lan Card (has 2 installed already)
any extra USB ports

im not using its RAID or SATA support yet because tbh i dont need it and i cant be arsed working out how it all fits together. I still havnt plugged in the Game PCI thing so im missing my joystick and 2 extra usb ports but i dont need em. the only thing ive had a problem with is if i overclock the memory or processor using bios settings it will either crash on boot and you have to turn it off at mains and restart ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
it wont even boot and you have to remove the battery and the jumper to clear CMOS settings. However this was when i was trying to push the memory to 150% of its recommended settings.

if u get an unlocked cpu its perfectly possible to overclock with ease. as long as you have adequate cooling
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:49   #18
Androme

get something shoddy and not the best of every part is what I can recodmend to you - I almost what this mistake heh (hi RR)

Don't spend more than a £1k otherwise you'll be at loss when the 'next generation' component line comes out and any software etc. become dependant on that etc. etc. etc.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 20:16   #19
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
CCL have a windowed Nokia case in silver or blue for a touch under £30. One of my cases is just about falling apart so if you (or anyone else) fancies one of them you could let me know what it's like before I think about buying one

Pretty much identical to what I've got. I'm no expert on cases - it looks nice, and seems well made. My 300W PSU never caused any stability problems, although it died after 10 months so keep el receipt.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:43   #20
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Ok update

have my 80gb western digital hd so far
athlon 2000+ xp arrived today
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe should arrive next week

thinking of gettin a cheiftec case not sure what colour yet any suggestions

Last edited by cookiemay; 3 Jan 2003 at 18:59.
cookiemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 23:04   #21
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

• Case <-- Silver Chieftec Scorpio
  • Mainboard <--- Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2
  • CPU + fan <-- athlon 2000+ includin heatsink, fan + 3 year waranty
  • RAM <--- Still got to buy
  • Hard disk <--- 80gb western digital
  • Keyboard <--- Chieftec Cordless Silver Keyboard
  • Graphics card <--- Will probly get ge-force 4 one.
  • Monitor <--- Not sure probly flat screen
  • Mouse <--- Chieftec Cordless Silver Mouse
  • Floppy disk drive <--- Cheap
  • CD-ROM of some sort <--- Cheap
  • CD-rw - Use the one in my current pc seems to work fine again
  • Speakers - Use the hi-fi speakers have good sound qual atm
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:21   #22
Idi

Get an AMD 2400 XP.
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 02:00   #23
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
Get an AMD 2400 XP.
got the 2000xp cheap thou
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 02:45   #24
Idi

Quote:
got the 2000xp cheap thou
cant you ask them if theyll steal a 2400 for you instead?
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 11:45   #25
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Id advise you to buy a prebuilt PC rather than buying the parts individually.

[edit - oh, this is from like, 2 weeks ago. Never mind then]
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 19:44   #26
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Id advise you to buy a prebuilt PC rather than buying the parts individually.

[edit - oh, this is from like, 2 weeks ago. Never mind then]
prebuild pcs r ****e and slow and cost more
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 19:58   #27
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
they usually arent quite as good as a custom built pc but they are cheaper these days I beleive

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 22:53   #28
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
they usually arent quite as good as a custom built pc but they are cheaper these days I beleive
how many pcs do u see with the asus a7n8x mobo and a chieftec case pre built
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 23:03   #29
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
how many pcs do u see with the asus a7n8x mobo and a chieftec case pre built
hence why I said "they usually arent quite as good as a custom built pc's". And you cab get them built for you if you really need to have those parts

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 00:33   #30
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
hence why I said "they usually arent quite as good as a custom built pc's". And you cab get them built for you if you really need to have those parts
would probly have to pay double of what they actually cost me
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 01:33   #31
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road
Re: Building a new pc

Quote:
What are all the parts im going to need to build a new pc eg motherboard, graphics card etc

also were would the best place to be to buy pc cases
a small bit of advice if you dont know whatts in a pc i wouldent atempt to try and biuld one you may as well flush money down the toilet
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 19:41   #32
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

Re: Re: Building a new pc

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK_OPPS
a small bit of advice if you dont know whatts in a pc i wouldent atempt to try and biuld one you may as well flush money down the toilet
is a mouse inside the pc??
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 20:58   #33
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: Re: Building a new pc

Quote:
is a mouse inside the pc??
depends if you put cheese in it

and damnit, I want my smilies back :/
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote