User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:10   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
k...I'm gonna sound like a total n00b...but oh well

now, I know this should prolly be posted elsewhere....but no one reads 'elsewhere' so I'm posting it here.

here comes the n00bish in me.......

I have Windows XP....how do I format?

Don't laugh...be helpful, thanks
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:13   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
*sigh*

1) make bootdisk
2) boot from bootdisk
3) in DOS type: "format <drive letter (C: for example)>"
4) wait for it to finish
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 untill all drives have been formatted
6) Profit
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:16   #3
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
*sigh*

1) make bootdisk
2) boot from bootdisk
4) wait for it to finish
6) Profit
Thank you sir...now, I shall spend the next few hours backing up files and then format...with any luck I'll be back tonight sometime
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:16   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
get hold of a win98 bootdisk to boot into dos

winxp boot disks just boot the operating system and not into dos
(that's what i found anyway)
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:35   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
lol
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:38   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
nod doesn't a magnet just erase all the data?

or do these new-fangled magnets come with the ability to set hard drives to FAT32 or whatever? ;p
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:38   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
nod doesn't a magnet just erase all the data?

or do these new-fangled magnets come with the ability to set hard drives to FAT32 or whatever? ;p
We will destroy it all, and on the ruins we will build our temple.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:40   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
HO HO HO!!!!
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 20:44   #9
Dace

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
We will destroy it all, and on the ruins we will build our temple.

My body is a temple.
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 21:10   #10
laney
Queen of England

laney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura about
you can just insert the cd of the os and delete the partitions..
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 00:46   #11
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

HO HO HO!!!!!

after a few hours of good clean fun...I am back in business with fresh new copy of XP

still gotta reinstall just about everything tho (ICQ, mIRC, etc, etc, etc..) but hey...it's sunday night, what else is there to do right?
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 01:04   #12
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D

but hey...it's sunday night, what else is there to do right?
Sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 01:06   #13
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Helveticus
Sleep.
ya...but not at 7pm :\
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 02:14   #14
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
www.bootdisk.com is your effendi, comrade
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 03:03   #15
Natfly

easier way:

1.) Set cmos to boot from cd
2.) boot from win xp cd
3.) follow directions to format and install on that partition
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 05:20   #16
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

NightSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
*sigh*

1) make bootdisk
2) boot from bootdisk
4) wait for it to finish
6) Profit
a lot easier to make a xp boot cd with nero, it's not only faster but i've found a boot disk is more easily susceptible to becomign corrupt
<Blue|WORKING> they are all sitting on a LAN
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
<[RO]NightSinner> my mistake
<TomKat> Lithuanian Area Network
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 05:23   #17
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

Quote:
Originally posted by Natfly
easier way:

1.) Set cmos to boot from cd
2.) boot from win xp cd
3.) follow directions to format and install on that partition
once again this will only work if it is a boot cd and not if it is just a upgrade xp cd or anyother version
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 08:56   #18
Natfly

Quote:
Originally posted by NightSinner
once again this will only work if it is a boot cd and not if it is just a upgrade xp cd or anyother version
What other versions are there? There's standard XP Home/Pro which will boot from cd, and then upgrade cds (with which personally i have no experience) which won't boot. Also, if you are upgrading from 98SE or ME the CDs should also be bootable.
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 12:48   #19
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Natfly
What other versions are there? There's standard XP Home/Pro which will boot from cd, and then upgrade cds (with which personally i have no experience) which won't boot. Also, if you are upgrading from 98SE or ME the CDs should also be bootable.
Win XP Upgrade CD is bootable

it asks for a 98/2000/me CD before installation
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 14:49   #20
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
ya...but not at 7pm :\
Drink
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 17:03   #21
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
Win XP Upgrade CD is bootable

it asks for a 98/2000/me CD before installation
hmm dunno bout that but then again i suppose i got the "non-retail" version so i could be wrong but as said if u have no os at all and u've formated ure hd u can't boot from the xp cd alone unless it is bootable.....or maybe i dunno what the feck i'm talking about

/me sits in the corner and plays with a fork
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 12:23   #22
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
A Win98 bootdisk is a useful piece of kit to keep around, for those days when it all goes FUBAR

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 14:20   #23
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
A Win98 bootdisk is a useful piece of kit to keep around, for those days when it all goes FUBAR

M.
no good if u have a hd that is over 40 GB both 98 and ME can't recognise 40gb and over due to a bug in fdisk. Only 2000 and XP will recognise hd's over 40gb
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 14:35   #24
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by NightSinner

no good if u have a hd that is over 40 GB both 98 and ME can't recognise 40gb and over due to a bug in fdisk. Only 2000 and XP will recognise hd's over 40gb
heh heh.... is Fdisk a product from microsoft?
I remember a quote from Bill Gates:
"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

I wonder if he had the same thoughts about harddisks when he told people to make fdisk
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 17:47   #25
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong

M.

I often experience the delights of playing 'where da fook did I put that damn bootdisk now?'

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 20:06   #26
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
The bootdisk is the only decent bit of Win98