User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:06   #1
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all
i, robot

I have no idea if it has already been discussed (if so, i couldn't find the thread)

In this movie they didn't even bother to filter the brands a little, they just throw them in your face for 5 seconds. In the first 5 minuten i've seen jvc, all-star, audi and some other i can't remember.

Is this the future? Every brand that has sponsored the film needs to be at least in the shot every five minuten? And not just in the shot but the shot has to be about the brand?
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:27   #2
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: i, robot

oh noes product placement in a big hollywood blockbuster with an overpaid a-list celebrity loosely based on some book but more based on an epsiode of the Outer Limits I watched... (and somewhat remindful of what's been covered in 10000 japanese anime's....).

Seriously, I'll only start complaining about product placement in movies when I start seeing, Nike in Star Wars, Tate&Lyle in Schindlers list the digitally remastered DVD special release edition whenever that may be, so on and so forth.

If you are going to watch a no brainer over produced movie that rips totally from something else that enjoyed success on a non movie scale then don't complain about product placement.

With that said, may I add, Manchurian Candidate is an utterly ace movie that not even the trailers do justice too.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:36   #3
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

i found it funny (the product placement)
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:38   #4
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

well i've seen the james bond movies so i'm used to product placement. But I, Robot just takes it to a whole other level
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:54   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You missed out Audi (his car) and Fed-Ex, the robot he pushes out of the way at the beginning.

The concentration is on him liking "retro" stuff actually, not on going "look at these brands". It could be any brand there, they'd concentrate on it anyway.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 12:14   #6
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts

who cares wich products are shown in a movie. You are going for the story not to count how much brands you can see in 1 movie :s
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 12:28   #7
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future

heh well if you don't like advertisements then start a revolution, otherwise sadly you'll just have to live with it. I would have thought you'd be used to it by now... hey! atleast they didn't try subliminal advertising heh
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 12:46   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zword
who cares wich products are shown in a movie. You are going for the story not to count how much brands you can see in 1 movie :s
I care. If product placements are done badly (i.e. blatantly) they can spoil the rhythm of the film, are generally jarring, and as such lessen the "movie magic".

Also, it makes it even more galling when the movie studio's then go on about people ripping off their intellectual property, about how people should watch their art-form, etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 13:48   #9
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Some of the placement in I Robot was exceptionally bad, and served no purpose whatsoever. Why should we give two shits about his trainers, which serve no purpose to the plot at all? And the Fed Ex robot thing, wtf? I dont mind the Audi sign on his car, it was just there, it didnt interfere much, but those first two really pissed me off.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 15:27   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
You missed out Audi (his car) and Fed-Ex, the robot he pushes out of the way at the beginning.

The concentration is on him liking "retro" stuff actually, not on going "look at these brands". It could be any brand there, they'd concentrate on it anyway.

The trianers from 2004 mad init

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 15:39   #11
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: i, robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I care. If product placements are done badly (i.e. blatantly) they can spoil the rhythm of the film, are generally jarring, and as such lessen the "movie magic".
As opposed to bad acting or insipid plots?

I don't think people really notice product placements except in films that have far more serious flaws. I mean, with a good story and good acting--who's watching the products?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 15:40   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The only one that I found totally unnecessary was the JVC one which only really disrupted my viewing pleasure (lol) due to the fact the film had barely begun and no rhythm had been established yet.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 15:48   #13
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

What was the JVC one?
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 15:59   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When he was playing his stereo right at the beginning it zooms in and stays on it clearly showing the JVC label.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 16:00   #15
Rids
The Bad Guy

Ah yeah, they show that a lot too
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 18:08   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I don't think people really notice product placements except in films that have far more serious flaws. I mean, with a good story and good acting--who's watching the products?
Well, that's the point. If a product placement is done well you barely notice it. If it's done badly, you have to watch it as the camera spends an exaggeratedly long period of time focusing on a logo and so on.

Yes, most movies have worse flaws but just because your movie isn't perfect isn't an excuse for a free-for-all crapfest.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 22:33   #17
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

I usually ignore PP's but it was really hard considering how much he kept wanking on about the shoes.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 23:18   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So anyway. I'm off out to buy a JVC stereo. Later alligators.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:01   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Crappy Matrix-inspired movie. It's the robot revolution idea - where's this been done before? Hmm..."achu" - "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit" - exactly what this film is, although it's with a few funny 1liners, it's quite crap.

I was surprised to find that unlike many shit films, it had an ok ending to it - which most films don't - ie: Welcome To The Jungle.

Anyway, sorry for not reading any of your opinions but I doubt they agree with me so there.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:03   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Crappy Matrix-inspired movie. It's the robot revolution idea - where's this been done before?
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:36   #21
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Oh if only we could be ignorant of the sleazy shite that surrounds us... yeah, watch a decent movie. It will be more refined. And buy your records on vinyl, they're mastered better.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:18   #22
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light

20+ posts on this movie and not a single one telling me whether it's worthwile to download or not. Oh, and are the robot laws the only Asimov idea in this movie as I find Will Smith doing an Asimov story quite a disturbing idea.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:30   #23
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

It's worth watching, a few flawed ideas and annoying product placements, but it wont make you want to tear your face off.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:59   #24
Rids
The Bad Guy

I downloaded it, I liked it, I'll download the DVD-R when its out/

Unread 15 Aug 2004, 20:17   #25
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Seriously, I'll only start complaining about product placement in movies when I start seeing, Nike in Star Wars, Tate&Lyle in Schindlers list the digitally remastered DVD special release edition whenever that may be, so on and so forth.
IBM in schindlers list would have been better.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 00:45   #26
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
oh noes product placement in a big hollywood blockbuster with an overpaid a-list celebrity loosely based on some book but more based on an epsiode of the Outer Limits I watched... (and somewhat remindful of what's been covered in 10000 japanese anime's....).

If you are going to watch a no brainer over produced movie that rips totally from something else that enjoyed success on a non movie scale then don't complain about product placement.

With that said, may I add, Manchurian Candidate is an utterly ace movie that not even the trailers do justice too.
Product placement, if done right, can actually help a movie for it feels more real. If you just see products and services with no brands or names it seems like a fake world. Now, if you see brands you recognize it helps to draw you into the movie experience. Now, with that said I do understand that a film can over due it and make it feel tacky or forced. I have not seen I, Robot yet so I do not know.

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 02:14   #27
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadval
hey! atleast they didn't try subliminal advertising heh
i've got the strangest urge to go and buy an audi...
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote