User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:12   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Psychology 101

I meant to post this the other day but never got round to it so here goes now.

"Has anyone else noticed that after Ian Huntley was concivted of the double murder the press stopped calling him 'Ian Huntley' and started calling him 'Huntley'?"

Now the title of this thread refers to what this post will become (me analysing in a basic fashion the psychology behind such actions).

Anyways "Why do you think this happened?".

My personal opinion is that it is an attempt to de-humanise* him.

'Ian Huntley' is a person.

'Huntley' is a thing.

I doubt it's a space issue (either in air time or in newspaper headlines or even in the newspaper stories themselves) which i reckon is the only other possible explanation because 'Ian' is such a small word to insert.

Anyways ... "What do you think?"

*forget about your "blah blah blah what he did makes him not human" arguments plsta cause they are shit.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:18   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Psychology 101

By newspapers do you just mean tabloids or is this present in broadsheets as well? Bar the bare facts of the case I've just skimmed over it whenever i'm reading the paper.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:23   #3
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

perhaps he is famous (notorious) enough that only one name is needed? eg like Beckham...
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:26   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
perhaps he is famous (notorious) enough that only one name is needed? eg like Beckham...

When someone says Beckham you don't think of the person though. Same with most (famous) footballers. They're these abstract guys who play football.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:28   #5
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
By newspapers do you just mean tabloids or is this present in broadsheets as well?

I'm pretty sure it's in the broadsheets aswell.

It wasn't there i first noticed it tho it was on the TV news.

It was the news which made me pay closer attention to the papers (to check).
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:28   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
who is ian huntley?

Your mum.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 03:58   #7
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

worthy thread - started at night error

paused until "the thinkers" wake up
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 04:24   #8
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

erm i think that most press have always called him huntley, or at least in most reports i saw about him.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 09:18   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't know if it's an attempt to dehumanise him, it's almost certainly not deliberate. But yeah, it is the abstraction of him (along with Hitler, or Saddam or whatever) they are referring to. No long Ian Huntley the man, Huntley the murderer. That's if they are doing it at all (I don't pay attention to details particularly).

It could also be a deliberate attempt to use less words on newspaper headlines or something shit like that.

p.s. Does anyone else think the coverage of the trial aftermath has been the usual utter toss of contemporary journalism?

I mean, it's idiotic. For a start they are trying to equate with him having sex with a few young girls with murder. "OMG, anyone who has sex with 15 year olds is obviously going to kill two little kids". If that wasn't bad enough, in the Metro newspaper they listed his various atrocities (including allegations of rape, etc). Fair enough. But they also included a non-payment of a fine for not having a TV licence. I mean, WTF?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 10:09   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no idea who Ian Huntley is but its probably because it makes catchier headlines, in addition to what Dace mentioned.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 13:42   #11
Work_Child
Banned

Work_Child is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Your mum.

My young apprentice.
Work_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 13:54   #12
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Some other bloke called Ian wrote into say he was getting beaten up because of the name being mentioned.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 13:55   #13
Work_Child
Banned

Work_Child is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
Some other bloke called Ian wrote into say he was getting beaten up because of the name being mentioned.
I feel for all men nation wide called Ian.
Work_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 14:29   #14
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

I doubt that psychology had anything to do with it. A more likely explanation would be the public familiarity with his name (which makes the forename unnecessary), while on TV programmes in which his name is mentioned repeatedly it probably does have something to do with space.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:29   #15
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I have no idea who Ian Huntley is

How is this possible?

The news has been saturated with the story for weeks.

HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING IN A HOLE IN THE GROUND IN EYERACK?!
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:31   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Real thinkers don't sully themselves with the drivel they print in newspapers.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:37   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Real thinkers don't sully themselves with the drivel they print in newspapers.

They should.

You can find out alot about humankind from Newspapers.

It makes you a better person.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:42   #18
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
How is this possible?

The news has been saturated with the story for weeks.

HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING IN A HOLE IN THE GROUND IN EYERACK?!
I dont read newspapers, I dont watch TV, I dont listen to the radio, and the only news I read on the internet is international (and normally American). None of my friends regularly discuss current events, other than international news.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:48   #19
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
None of my friends regularly discuss current events

That's probably because gerbils can't speak.