User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:25   #1
Asper

On a different note, my computer...

Something strange happened. was toying a bit with making the Netscrape window smaller, accidently hit the neat little X button, and when it disappeared everything seemed to just stall.

All the stuff on my desktop, or even my bar on the bottom weren;t there, so I looked at the lights, and it looked like the PC was loading stuff. Like 10 seconds later everything appeared again, weird.

I wonder what's up with this, I've build it myself and it's only like 6 months old.

Amd Athlon 1500 mhz, 256 mem, geforce 4 card (mx unfortunately...)

Any ideas as to what could cause this stalling? it wasn't the first time this happened :/
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:27   #2
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Windows at it's best ?
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:30   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Is Netscape the only application causing it?
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:32   #4
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Is Netscape the only application causing it?
No

I was playing this game that I'm betaing occasionally (ShadowBane)

When i quitt it hangs for like 3-5 minutes before going back to the Desktop

It might be that snotty Windows 98 SE I still have.

Netscape doesn't seem to the be cause at all but I'm not sure right now :/

/edit/

I installed Diablo 2 again a while back. I did the full frigging installation, yet when I try to start it up it takes like 5 minutes before I finally see the start-up screen *sigh*

I also noticed weird stalls when my computer plays in-game movies.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:38   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
MEMORY LEAK
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:39   #6
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
MEMORY LEAK

SOLUTION??????
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:41   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
NO IDEA OFFHAND
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:41   #8
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
NO IDEA OFFHAND
F*CKING GREAT MISTAH ALL KNOWING!!!!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:42   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I AM FAB ARENT I
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:43   #10
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Deep level format might fix it.

That fixes anything
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:46   #11
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
Deep level format might fix it.

That fixes anything
Been there done that :/

Hm, unless I'm forgetting something on that area, I remember having a class where this was explained into great depth.

Refresh my memory?
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:50   #12
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Alright
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:52   #13
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
install problem solved. linux
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:53   #14
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
Alright
Old

And I'm lazy
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:02   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Asper
Refresh my memory?
Heh. 'comedy gold'.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:03   #16
Asper

Quote:
Heh. 'comedy gold'.

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:05   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

PUNTASTIC
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:22   #18
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
You could try doing a Win98 install on top of your current one. Half the time it fixes the weirdest problems.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:27   #19
Asper

I formatted the entire thing yesterday, complete reinstall

Still having the same problems
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:29   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

So much for your Asperations of having a working computer.

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:30   #21
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Hm, odd.

Try asking on the P&IT forums. Maybe there someone will be able to help you.

And here we are!

Last edited by Leshy; 5 Feb 2003 at 23:41.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:55   #22
Asper

Quote:
Hm, odd.

Try asking on the P&IT forums. Maybe there someone will be able to help you.

And here we are!
Here we are??

Getting nowhere still (((((((
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 00:09   #23
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
After reinstalling Win98 did you reinstall and run (at any point) your beta game?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 01:07   #24
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
After reinstalling Win98 did you reinstall and run (at any point) your beta game?
Yeah I did.

I emptied my whole HD (I do have two btw...wonder if that can cause any problems)

Formatted it, reinstalled win98, redownloaded the beta version of that game, and reinstalled that.

There was a suggestion all the problems would be caused by me having Directx 9.0 on my computer. So after reinstalling I stuck with 8.1 didn't solve anything though

Kinda desperate :/
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 08:06   #25
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
]Originally posted by Asper
Yeah I did.

I emptied my whole HD (I do have two btw...wonder if that can cause any problems)

Formatted it, reinstalled win98, redownloaded the beta version of that game, and reinstalled that.

There was a suggestion all the problems would be caused by me having Directx 9.0 on my computer. So after reinstalling I stuck with 8.1 didn't solve anything though

Kinda desperate :/
Reformat and don't reinstall the beta. If that works then you not only know what caused it but you have a pretty major bug to report to them.

Beta software is always the first port of call in a screwewd system
das blinkenlights!!!

Last edited by Gayle29uk; 6 Feb 2003 at 09:32.
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 08:51   #26
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

It might be that snotty Windows 98 SE I still have.
If you're beta testing something you can better have an NT based system (NT/2000/XP) as they handle exceptions and leaks much better.

I've seen this before when I didn't get a single runtime error on a win98 box, but on my 2000 system it freaked out.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 11:56   #27
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
it *might* be mem problems.

See if you can re-arrange your memory config (switch mem sticks, use 1 mem stick, switch slots etc....)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 12:49   #28
Asper

Quote:
Reformat and don't reinstall the beta. If that works then you not only know what caused it but you have a pretty major bug to report to them.

Beta software is always the first port of call in a screwewd system

I had these problems before installing the beta software

Also my system resources when I've started up go to a grand max of 73% wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Does seem to be a problem with the memory... I have one stick 256 mem, I might just open up the comp for a bit.
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 13:32   #29
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
<snip>
Just install XP.

I make absolutely no recommendation as to where to obtain a copy though
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 16:38   #30
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Your original problem was that your Explorer shell crashed. When that happens, you lose your icons and your taskbar, but Windows is clever enough to detect when it's missing its Explorer shell, and immediately reloads it. This is the 10 second pause you described, followed by the taskbar reappearing.

I don't think this problem is related to your other hanging problems. It's not uncommon for Explorer to crash on any Windows system (quite uncommon for Win98 to be able to rescue it though :O), yet the other problems you describe seem more like driver and/or hardware.

Do wot Gayle said, and get XP
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 16:42   #31
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Explorer didn't used to crash all that often to me to be honest, the most common thing that made it go was having to End Task an Explorer window, so My Computer, Network Neighbourhood etc.

XP though. Even if I am using the Windows 2000 style theme =)
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 22:03   #32
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
i've had that ALOT with Win98SE, explorer would almost always crash after long period of use, then the only solution is either CTRL + ALT + DEL or reset button, the rare times it gets rescued, all my systray icons are gone but still running in the background

WinXP however, rescues it ALL the time so far (only happened twice as of yet) and WinXP refreshes the systray afterwards and my icons reappear.

/me huggles WinXP
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 22:08   #33
Asper

Quote:
Just install XP.

I make absolutely no recommendation as to where to obtain a copy though

PM?? plz???

*begs*
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 22:15   #34
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Have you installed any software that integrates itself with the explorer shell and that might be buggy?
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 00:15   #35
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadow
Have you installed any software that integrates itself with the explorer shell and that might be buggy?
Nope :/

I solve the problem with Diablo 2 btw, I think I might need to buy a new memorybank. *shrug* I'm just waiting for the inevitable crash