User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:10   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
New PC: won't boot

I received my new computer yesterday and I assembled it. After putting everything together I turned on the power, but it wouldn't boot.
All fans start (CPU, Case, Videocard), the CD-rom drive seemed to be staring by the flashing light, but that's it.
I got no video, not even a POST beep that the computer had been booted. Not even a series of beepsindicating that something was fishy.
So, I yanked everything out except for the motherboard and memory and tried to boot the motherboard alone. No success. No POST beep.
The odd thing is that the motherboard doesn't react on the on/off button either. So, I hold it down for over 5 seconds, but it remains on while it normally should shut down.

I'm thinking about RMA-ing the motherboard, but I'm not 100% sure it's the motherboard that's causing the problem. I have no way of testing the video card with it being a PCI-Express card nor do I have another case handy to put the motherboard in, incase the speaker is buggered (which seems unlikely to me).

So, what should I do? What else can it be? What else can I test?
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:09   #2
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough
Re: New PC: won't boot

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its sounding like your Mobo is dead.

One other option is that the mobo isn't grounding to the case properly, so check you have used every possible position to secure the mobo to the case.

Nevertheless, check the jumper settings on the mobo, and check the CPU was connected properly.

I've come across this problem quite frequently (I work as a PC repair technician, no boot from mobo/no beep occurs several times a week, and 98% of the time its dead mobo.)

Brimstone
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:04   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

OK, thanks, so most likely it's going RMA then.

What do you mean with "grounding to the case properly" BTW? I used all stands and screws that were specified in the case manual and motherboard manual.
Does the MOBO need to be grounded to the case in any way (as in electrical grounding)? I bought an EPIA board a few months ago and put it in a Nintendo case. I never grounded the board in any way as its sitting right on the plastic of the case but it runs just fine.
I will take the MOBO out tonight and put it on a plastic underground. That way I can make sure it's not a short circuit that is causing this.
Other than that (and the memory) I have no idea what else I could try.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 19:51   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I took the memory off the MOBO and took the MOBO out of the case. Still nothing.
Going RMA tomorrow.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 10:31   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you've covered the basics, just remember that when stripping the system back to a minimal system the following components MUST be connected to POST successfully:

motherboard
cpu
memory
video card (or onboard video is fine)
keyboard (it's a legacy thing, some newer boards don't care so much, but it'll avoid the BIOS whinging about no keyboard)
and obviously power

A lot of new boards no longer use a system of beeping to indicate errors, instead they resort to an onboard LED indication (in the form of either digits or a pattern of lights). Check your mobo manual to see what it uses.

I would try reseating everything including the CPU to make sure nothing funny is going on with the contacts.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 13:21   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
You sound like you've covered the basics, just remember that when stripping the system back to a minimal system the following components MUST be connected to POST successfully:

motherboard
cpu
memory
video card (or onboard video is fine)
keyboard (it's a legacy thing, some newer boards don't care so much, but it'll avoid the BIOS whinging about no keyboard)
and obviously power

A lot of new boards no longer use a system of beeping to indicate errors, instead they resort to an onboard LED indication (in the form of either digits or a pattern of lights). Check your mobo manual to see what it uses.

I would try reseating everything including the CPU to make sure nothing funny is going on with the contacts.
MOBO, CPU and memory are going RMA after having called the guys at Salland.
I'm aware of the basic components that must be connected (with the exception of the keyboard, didn't know that), but even if any of these are not connected the motherboard should warn for this, no? Atleast that is what I read everywhere. A series of beeps if anything is buggered.
The motherboard uses beeps I assume although it doesn't have a table for this. Except it has a textual table... I'm beginning to wonder if the bugger gives spoken POST messages (ASUS A8V-E Deluxe). I connected the case speaker to the motherboard so it should notify me of any events. Or the case speaker can't "speak" and only beep, in which case this spoken POST stuff is the stupidest invention ever.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 14:28   #7
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough

(Most) motherboards have an on-board system "chirper" (high pitch buzzer) for when things cock up. One of the things it normally complains loudly about is no memory. It should also give a single beep just after doing the POST.

As to grounding cases, the little silver (or occasionally gold) bits where you secure the mobo to the case are also earth/grounding points. Many boards require you to attach as many as possible to work correctly.

It has been known for people to Cut corners and only put the 4 screws in the corners of mobo's when securing them to cases. This is ok for quick testing if you are taking boards in and out, but as a rule you should always secure boards using all securing points.

If possible i would get Processor/Memory checked in another machine, but if this is not an option, get them RMA'd anyway just to be sure.

And always use some sort of anti-Static option when working with ESD sensitive devices (especially memory). Best (and cheapest) option is an anti-static wrist strap. If you do a lot of work with ESD stuff, invest in an ESD mat.

and NEVER sit a static sensitive item ON TOP of an anti-static bag.

Anti static bags work by take the static charge inside the bag, and moving it to the outside. Putting boards on top of the bags is effectively killing it.

For anyone curious as to my background, as i stated before am a computer repair technician, and am due to take my Comptia A+ exam as soon as my company gets off its backside to pay for it

Brimstone
Unread 3 Feb 2005, 15:17   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

They ordered a new MOBO for me, but I don't think they'll expect it anytime soon-ish
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:56   #9
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

you are not the only one with problems. my ram was broken, i send it back today, now im back to my old pc

i went to a shop today and the guy told me he never ever had any trouble with this kind of ram (Corsair Value Select 512...) whatsoever. im just not good with computers. whatever i order / install you can be sure that it either doesnt work at all or brakes pretty soon. i always have bad luck with this stuff.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:08   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

No need to get all depressed and stuff. Stuff breaks. Period.
BTW, did you send both back? I thought you had 2*512?
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:53   #11
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

no, you are right, but for me its ALSWAYS. i think i never bought anything that worked right away. my first cd-burner, a broken cpu, another cpu, graphic cards, hard disks, a notebook with a broken keyboard, ..., ALWAYS. have me buy it and be sure it wont work.

yes, both. the pc wont work with only one anyway and apparently i need two ram-thingies of the same set.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 23:48   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
yes, both. the pc wont work with only one anyway and apparently i need two ram-thingies of the same set.
If this is a new pc then there is no reason why it shouldn't work with just one. Also the "memory must be in matched pairs" thing is out of date - you don't even have to match the speeds these days (it will clock the ram down to the speed of the slowest installed module) never mind size.
Of course for performance it's best to match speeds.
Unread 6 Feb 2005, 01:08   #13
wu_trax

i put in the one that works and tried to boot, it just beeped a few times and nothing else happened.
Unread 6 Feb 2005, 12:16   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In that case I'd probably be pointing to a dodgy motherboard.
Unread 6 Feb 2005, 12:40   #15
wu_trax

thats what the guy in the shop also told me (and i just saw that it also says so in the manual) , but now everything seems to work fine. if it blows up another 512 MB ill send it back...
my ram was broken, i checked with memtest86 or something on two different boards, both with the same result. the only question is if it was broken when i got it or if my mb broke it.
Unread 6 Feb 2005, 14:21   #16
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

I have 3 different RAM modules installed, an old 64mb and 2 128mb, all of different manufacturers but all of the same (pci133) speed. Works perfectly. Now all I need to do is get that 256mb module and stuff it in the last open slot.

So far btw, I've blown 2 CD-drives, 1 DVD-drive, 2 of my own mobos (and lots of old 1s, but those where on purpose or by doing things they just shouldn't be doing (running a 66mhz CPU @ 200mhz anyone?), 1 CPU, but that CPU was ancient and 1 PSU, a 4 year old 1 at that.
Never broke any memory though

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 19:29   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I got my motherboard back today... hurray!!!

I installed it, and still nothing... bugger!!!
With the exception that it now actually shuts down when I hold the on/off button for 5 seconds.

E-mail dispatched for next step.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:05   #18
wu_trax

does your board have this sound-error-message thing? if so connect the speakers (i mean real speakers to the onboard sound, not the pc-speaker), try again and look if that helps.

if it works, sorry, i should have suggested it the first time around
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:15   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

You are my god...

I went to get some speakers and it says: system failed CPU test.
It's a bugger system though. Needing speakers to hear the POST.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:28   #20
wu_trax

took me a while to figure it out too, and i only did because my pc kept beeping all the time and i tried to find out what that means. it turned out that i put the memory in the wrong slots (A1 and A2 instead of A1 and B1). Again, sorry for not thinking of this the first time, i forgot that you also bought an asus-board.
But that still doesnt help you much, it could still be the board or the cpu...

and yes, its a bad idea. my old msi-board had some blinking lights and the usual pc-speaker sounds. that was fine and easy to understand.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:35   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
took me a while to figure it out too, and i only did because my pc kept beeping all the time and i tried to find out what that means. it turned out that i put the memory in the wrong slots (A1 and A2 instead of A1 and B1). Again, sorry for not thinking of this the first time, i forgot that you also bought an asus-board.
But that still doesnt help you much, it could still be the board or the cpu...

and yes, its a bad idea. my old msi-board had some blinking lights and the usual pc-speaker sounds. that was fine and easy to understand.
You don't have to say sorry. I didn't think of it at all.
Does you MOBO also talk to you? It actually spoke to me in a low womans voice "System failed CPU test".

Still, I asked for an RMA of the processor. I assume they replaced the motherboard (so they said in a mail), but kept the same processor, and they probably didn't test it.
I expect to have it back pretty rapidly because these processors they have in stock.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:48   #22
wu_trax

yes, she said something about bad memory and it was really difficult to understand .
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 16:24   #23
zarg

zarg is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe which only has voice POST messages (which you can turn on/off) which caught me out once. I changed the video card to an XFX GeForce 6800 and forgot to put the addition power cable in. PC just would not boot correctly. It was only after checking the manual for error messages that I remembered the voice POST messages, plugging in the speakers allowed me to find out what the problem was. Now at work, I always hook up speakers to a pc/server which doesn't boot correct - just incase
zarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 10:05   #24
Kan3
The Kan3 is back!

Kan3 is infamous around these parts

I'm a technical engineer at a successful company in Northampton, and from what you have diagnosed it sounds like your CPU is dead. Did you touch it without ESD protection?
Kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 11:22   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan3
I'm a technical engineer at a successful company in Northampton, and from what you have diagnosed it sounds like your CPU is dead. Did you touch it without ESD protection?
I was hugging the case whilst installing the CPU, so any static wouldn't have a chance. I was very fond of my new PC you know.

But I've come to realise that all this crap might be caused by my inability to read manuals. Somewhere hidden in the MOBO manual there was this tiny little paragraph that said to connect a 4pin 12V power supply cable that would feed the processor. Now, I, naive as I am, didn't read that very thouroughly that because I though I knew how to connect a PSU to a motherboard, having replaced numerous PSU's in the past.

So, all in all, the motherboard might have been working correctly after all.
And the CPU might have been OK too all that time because I never connected that 4 pin connector. So I might have been waiting a month+ for nothing.
FS. Next time I'll just buy a complete computer. Software people and hardware just don't go together well.
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 11:53   #26
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

isnt that the cpu fan cable? never heard of an extra power cable for a cpu before
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 12:04   #27
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
isnt that the cpu fan cable? never heard of an extra power cable for a cpu before
Me neither, but I downloaded the manual for the MOBO to check it here, and yes, it's for the CPU.
http://84.29.18.109/e1781_a8v-e_deluxe.pdf - for those interested, section 2-28 page 50.
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 14:14   #28
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It's due to the power requirements for PCI-e and the high 12v load of newer processors.
Unless you have an ATX 2.0 complient PSU you will often have to connect an extra molex or the P4 2x12v plug to the motherboard to deliver enough power.
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 22:30   #29
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I'm posting this post from my new PC.

Hurray!!! Hurray!!!