User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Aug 2004, 20:17   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Laptop advice

Hi,

My trusty old Athlon 1ghz is dying a slow and painfull death. So I think I'll get a laptop to replace it. Trying to stick to £1000 or less.

I want one with a nice screen. It's got to be around 1280x1024 else it's not worth bothering, as I want to run Reason and Traktor on it. I'll settle for a lower resolutuion if it supports dual displays (so I can plug a monitor in).

The screen is my only real stipulation. Everything else will be at least 'sufficent' for that price (and probably better).

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 01:25   #2
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Laptop advice

i got a Dell Inspiron 1100 for £711. 2.4GHz Celeron, 15.1" screen (supports dual moniter output) 30GB Hard Drive and 256MB RAM. however, it does appear that Dell have stopped doing the 1100, so any of the Inspirons should suit your needs
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 03:19   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I always buy the most expensive Sony I can afford. I was given a Compaq Armada all singing all dancing thing with one job that lasted around a week before the hard drive failed. After the 2nd replacement had to go back because the screen failed I dug out my trusty F-807K from under the bed and refused all new machines until they got me a Sony.

I haven't decided what model to buy next. Probably a Centrino model when I get round to it.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 16:42   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

got a Toshiba satelite here, 2,4ghz P4 (not of those lousy celerons, 1 of those less lousy P4 mobile thingies), 220mb ram (don't ask me how they got it at 220, that's just what windows says). It supports dual screen, 1 CRT and the other being the LCD screen on the laptop itself.
oh and I got it for free :P

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 12:11   #5
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
got a Toshiba satelite here, 2,4ghz P4 (not of those lousy celerons, 1 of those less lousy P4 mobile thingies)
a Centrino is, i believe, the lousy mobile P4 of which you speak
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 17:24   #6
Mong
Forever Delayed

When I say "dual display" I mean like, so it can have the desktop expanded across multiple displays (I've got 3 CRT connected to my work box, each displaying different things :-) )

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 18:56   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

you'll be hard pressed to find a laptop that won't do dual displays. dunno if you'll find one that'll do 1280*1024 for under a grand tho.

i got my laptop, wierdly, from staples. so they might be worth a look

-mist
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 12:59   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
There isn't a CPU called Centrino... Centrino is the collection of wireless capability + low power consumption CPU, that particular cpu in a Centrino laptop is called a P-M, Pentium Mobile, you might hear people call it "Banias", AFAIK that is just teh codename for the P-M with speeds upto 1.7GHz. P-M's 1.8GHz and above are codenamed Dothan.

You can get P4-M, P-M, and Celeron crap.

Celerons are the worst of the worst, especially for laptops.

P-M's are fairly good compared to P4-M's, the main reason for getting a P-M is for low power consumption and these CPUs trump over the "desktop P4's in a laptop P4-M" CPUs.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 11:52   #9
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have a samsung, p4 2.6, 512mb ram, 40 gb hd etc etc, nice screen, nice laptop, works fast does everything all good, if I was you id spend a decent amount on the laptop as i know someone who got one from time or whereevr it is, and it kept breaking down, in all honesty if i had the money id probably stick with the laptop i got, as its got insurance on it so if it gets nicked or broken ive got peace of mind, btw get insurance for ure laptop means you can be less careful rnd it so u can enjoy it more
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 14:23   #10
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
220mb ram (don't ask me how they got it at 220, that's just what windows says
Some ranges of Toshiba use part of the RAM to shadow the BIOS (load the bios into the ram) to make them faster. There may be an option in the BIOS to switch this off if you really want to.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 15:14   #11
flapjack
crashed computer

I know what you mean, this option however doesn't affect what windows says the memory is at, nor does it change how much the BIOS says is in there.
I also noticed that the change in performance is minimal and that some games actaully run faster if the BIOS isn't shadowed, could just be me tough :P

Unread 24 Aug 2004, 15:53   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

its the main memory being used as graphics memory - its cheap and nasty

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2004, 12:58   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
You can get P4-M, P-M, and Celeron crap.

Celerons are the worst of the worst, especially for laptops.
Don't confuse Celeron with Celeron-M. Celeron-M is a very good option - pretty much the same performance as the P-M, but the battery life isn't as good (about 25% less).

Standard Celerys are pants, obviously.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 30 Aug 2004, 16:17   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Get a PC.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 10:51   #15
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Get a PC.
Get a new joke.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 31 Aug 2004, 18:45   #16
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mong
Get a new joke.
I was being serious.
----------retired-------
Unread 7 Sep 2004, 10:00   #17
madman2k30
Banned

madman2k30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
centrino is Intel's version of WI-Fi
madman2k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2004, 10:55   #18
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman2k30
it is the collection of integrated wireless and low power usage CPU
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2004, 10:57   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman2k30
No, it's not exclusively.
Centrino is a big sticker they put on components that meet the requirements of a mobile platform. This includes standards for WiFi, but also energy consumption and dimensions and probably some more things.

I can't really recommend a notebook, but please get a decent brand. In my three days in a helpdesk for notebooks (amongst other things) I learned that those cheap wannabe notebooks are made up of cheap and exotic, custom made components. The "exotic" and "custom made" part means that if the warranty of the notebook expires, and something goes buggered, you are royally fecked, because it is often the case that there are no spare part available anymore for your particular notebook. Also, often it is not possible to refit with standard components because it simply does not fit.
Unread 8 Sep 2004, 00:19   #20
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
No, it's not exclusively.
Centrino is a big sticker they put on components that meet the requirements of a mobile platform. This includes standards for WiFi, but also energy consumption and dimensions and probably some more things.

I can't really recommend a notebook, but please get a decent brand. In my three days in a helpdesk for notebooks (amongst other things) I learned that those cheap wannabe notebooks are made up of cheap and exotic, custom made components. The "exotic" and "custom made" part means that if the warranty of the notebook expires, and something goes buggered, you are royally fecked, because it is often the case that there are no spare part available anymore for your particular notebook. Also, often it is not possible to refit with standard components because it simply does not fit.
But aren't laptops generally much harder to fix anyway?
----------retired-------
Unread 9 Sep 2004, 09:38   #21
flapjack
crashed computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
But aren't laptops generally much harder to fix anyway?
Absolutely true, your best bet is to try and not break them.
So don't drop it, pour water over it, put it out in the desert while it's on, try to plug it into 230 volts directly, etc.

Oh and remember not to let destructive parents/brothers or sisters touch it, since at the very least you'll have to format it like I had to after my sister played on it for half an hour