User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:44   #1
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Ebuyer

Are these any good with regards to the stuff they sell?

I'm going to buy a few of their round cables (has anyone got them?) for about £10 which is about the cheapest I've seen.

This question probably has a really obvious answer but I want this case (Cube) and it says "Side open Type Pentium" - now I have an XP2.1 processor... so won't my processor be compatible?

Ta, Syph.

Last edited by SyPh0n; 17 Jan 2003 at 16:01.
SyPh0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:54   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
They sell a lot of the same stuff as anyone else so in that sense they aren't any different, do a search for ebuyer on these forums as I seem to remember a thread about their CS not long ago.

Case link is broken but if it's a ATX case it should be fine for Athlon or P3/4/whatever.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:59   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Ebuyer apparently has a ****e returns service, I only learnt about this AFTER I bought a GFX/mobo/PSU from them, lets hope my stuff last till its obsolete.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:05   #4
SyPh0n
supadupafly

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Ebuyer apparently has a ****e returns service, I only learnt about this AFTER I bought a GFX/mobo/PSU from them, lets hope my stuff last till its obsolete.
Can't be any worse than Scan. After sending me the most bent motherboard in the world (seriously, it was a very visible curve) I sent it back, they took their time diagnosing it was bent (3 weeks) and sent me a new one without any cables or instructions.

I gave up after that.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:25   #5
SyPh0n
supadupafly

BTW:

These cables... is that 3 connectors or 2 I see?

Last edited by SyPh0n; 17 Jan 2003 at 16:49.
SyPh0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:47   #6
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by SyPh0n
BTW:

These cables... is that 3 connectors or 2 I see?
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /P0036351_C0000024_P0000000.jpg on this server.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:49   #7
SyPh0n
supadupafly

Dammit... links should all work ok now fs.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:50   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I think it is one end connects to your mobo, then you got 2 connectors for your magnetic and optical drives
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:54   #9
SyPh0n
supadupafly

Thats what I'm hoping, as I have 3 drives.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 17:41   #10
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
a week ago I prasied ebuyer for its reasonable cheap prices and wide number of products, but now I would say fk em..mainly because I had to wait 4 days just for them to tell me they didnt have 2 of the 3 things I was buying in stock. I would however recommend overclockers.co.uk, after cancelling the ebuyer stuff I ordered it from overclockers, the total price was cheaper and it was delivered the next day! I've never had anything off the internet that quick so it was a big shock to me to get something so fast. Everything was in perfect condition too. Also alot more overclocking stuff (naturally) in the form of cooling which I've ordered today which looks good.

Btw I saw the case and yes you can put your amd 2.1ghz processor in it, I take it the cpu is actually an amd 2600xp then? I think the saturn looks better tbh though, similar to the 1 I got

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 23:11   #11
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems I've had with Ebuyer:

I wanted to order some stuff but my gf pay for it. They wouldn't accept her card on my account, which I suppose is fair enough. But when trying to create an account for her, we were denied as there was already an account at this address (mine). We couldn't actually get in contact with Ebuyer at all to tell them about this without going into my account (they insist on using this stupid enote system, they don't accept outside emails). We were then told we couldn't register two accounts at the same address. It wasn't so much the nature of the problem (which was frustrating enough) but the way in which we were handled - replies was sneering, dismissive one liners "The system will now allow you to open another account at the same address - Thank you, Ebuyer." That's hardly my problem, is it?

In October I ordered a 256MB DIMM, which didn't work in the motherboard. So I contacted Ebuyer for a replacement, and they authorised my sending it back. I never quite got around to it, eventually discovering that the RAM did actually work - it was the board at fault (in the end both the board and RAM worked so wtf the problem was I don't know). I often buy from Ebuyer so in early November I sent them another enote asking whether I could have credit off another item rather than a replacement, as I had other RAM by then.

A week passed, and I got a reply saying "There is a delay in the booking in of RMA's. This is only a temporary problem and you will be emailed when this done." I waited, and waited, and waited, until finally at the beginning of January I sent in another enquiry about the status of the return, only to be met with "Dear Customer, we do not offer refunds, credit notes, or exchanges for different products over thirty days old. Regards, Ebuyer. " Luckily for me, the DIMM did work and is still installed in my PC, but if it didn't I'd be £%&#ed.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a floppy drive for a mate along with some other stuff for me. The floppy drive never worked, I've created an RMA request but so far they haven't moved on it.

Summary: Ebuyer are extremely cheap, have a wide selection of stuff and the best website of any computer parts seller I've ever seen, but their customer service utterly stinks.
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 20:12   #12
SyPh0n
supadupafly

Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow

Btw I saw the case and yes you can put your amd 2.1ghz processor in it, I take it the cpu is actually an amd 2600xp then? I think the saturn looks better tbh though, similar to the 1 I got
I wouldn't mind, but it's the price of it

I put 2.1 as it's a 2100... that's just the way I've shortened it. However, I wish it were a 2600
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 21:18   #13
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
tbh I dont think you'd notice the difference

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 21:54   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ebuyer are fine so long as you don't have to send anything back.
Don't know about scan, I've never had to send anything back to them. They tend to be a bit expensive for some items though.

I quite like www.kustompcs.co.uk - they're quite a small site but sell some good stuff at reasonable prices, including a nice bundle set of round IDE cables that are a good length (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=1814) which are what you're looking for I think. I bought tha bundle and they're very nicely made and having the round cables makes it so much easier to get inside the case.

Unread 21 Jan 2003, 12:57   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you're going the Ebuyer route (as I pretty much always do) do not buy your ram from them. Every single time I've bought ram from them there's been a problem, I go to somewhere like dabs, I buy branded ****, it works out with no problem at all.

Only two other problems I've ever had with them:

They sent me a processor with a bent pin (luckily on the outside row), unbent with a screwdriver, works fine =)

They sent me an IBM hdd with a 'Servicable Used Part' label on it. 6 months later it no longer spins up.

BUT

They're:

Damned cheap
Stockists of 'a lot of things'
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 18:23   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[advertising]
Yeah, I always buy my ram from Crucial.
[/advertising]

Seriously though - its worth paying for quality with ram; it is the most volatile and error prone component in your machine which you can actually do something about, so DO do something about it.

Unread 21 Jan 2003, 20:40   #17
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
ebuyer have crap prices anyway
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 22:50   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
ebuyer have crap prices anyway
No.

or to put it another way, 'where else'?
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 23:02   #19
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
No.

or to put it another way, 'where else'?
I personally only use OCstore or OCers as I rate them to have the best after-sales service, in my opinion anyway.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 13:42   #20
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
I only buy crucial RAM, and the cheapest place to get that from is www.crucial.com/uk

On the ebuyer front, I've bought from them twice.

First time, I bought a 19" monitor, 100 CD-R's, TV Card, NIC anda DVI-VGA adaptor.

The monitor was supposed to be a 'used' rma one, showed in stock when I ordered, in stock the next day when I got my confirmation email, then 2 days later I got an email saying it was out of stock. I ended up getting a new one, but by this point the 100 CD-R spindles were sold out, so another phone call to get them to send 2 x 50 spindles.

Just last week I ordered a belkin 5 port switch and a PCI USB2 card, they arrived on monday (as I had specified) both fully working, and for a ridiculous price.

PS

Androme you dont half talk shit.

OCstore doesnt have either of the products I needed, plus their prices are a joke.
OCUK's cheapest switch (a bloody netgear ffs!) was over £10 more than I paid for mine, and the only USB2 card they have is over £35 more, all in all, about twice the price I paid.

ALSO

Theres no such thing as 'free' delivery. It just means your components cost more.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 13:56   #21
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I've bought from the a few times and it's been on time and at a good price too.

Shame they charge for delivery on orders over £100 now though

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:03   #22
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Well they actually charge per weight now, which is a good thing. If you buy some amazingly expensive doofie for £200 that weighs 50g, you will only get charged £1.99 delivery. Before, it would have cost £210 at least, to account for the delivery charge. Free delivery is a false economy.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:08   #23
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
I only buy crucial RAM, and the cheapest place to get that from is www.crucial.com/uk

On the ebuyer front, I've bought from them twice.

First time, I bought a 19" monitor, 100 CD-R's, TV Card, NIC anda DVI-VGA adaptor.

The monitor was supposed to be a 'used' rma one, showed in stock when I ordered, in stock the next day when I got my confirmation email, then 2 days later I got an email saying it was out of stock. I ended up getting a new one, but by this point the 100 CD-R spindles were sold out, so another phone call to get them to send 2 x 50 spindles.

Just last week I ordered a belkin 5 port switch and a PCI USB2 card, they arrived on monday (as I had specified) both fully working, and for a ridiculous price.

PS

Androme you dont half talk shit.

OCstore doesnt have either of the products I needed, plus their prices are a joke.
OCUK's cheapest switch (a bloody netgear ffs!) was over £10 more than I paid for mine, and the only USB2 card they have is over £35 more, all in all, about twice the price I paid.

ALSO

Theres no such thing as 'free' delivery. It just means your components cost more.
They do have higher prices than Ebuyer, and Ebuyer does cater for alot of things, but the times that I had problems with ordering products or after sales support they are both (OCstore/OCers) very efficient and actually look after you, Ebuyer happens not to give a sh1t after they take your money...