User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 18 Jan 2006, 16:02   #1
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future
Exclamation Downloadable PA Guide

Well, i was trying to explain the dude at my side about PA and showed him the manual and i saw on his face the same face i had when mates invited me to play back on rnd 2. I didnt play at that time. The problem is that really a non-graphic game is not attractive today, and yet there is many info u must know to start playing this game, is not as some Diablo like game thatu just click the mouse over the monster and bit by bit learn the function of the buttons.

So i came up with this idea ( actually i had it days ago ). Why not develop a Flash-Based PA manual? I know some here dont like Flash etc, but definelly for newbies would be VERY helpful. How would it work? It would be an animation ( could be powerpoint-like, i want to make ppl play, not make graphic-revolution ) Showing step-by-step since the moment you create account until the moment you launchs an attack. The guide would show an animate cursor clickin on each section of the game and giving examples of what should you do. Would use some basic PA skin. I think this would make far easier assimilation of the basics of the game for new players, and that would reduce the first-time reading to some tips and brief explanations while the animation go thru the pages of the game.

I believe should be donwloadble cos explain all aspects ilustrated would make
big file for browsing and this way ppl who would want to ad the game just would mail it instead mailing the page. What would do many let to check the page later and ended up forgetting.

I think this wouldnt be costy for Jolt do and would definelly help addin new ppl into the community. I showed the game manual to some ppl here ( im on a cybercafe ) and explained them my idea and all agreed would be much more motivating to learn using my way

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 16:07   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Downloadable PA Guide

Great idea. I sure hope someone will have the time to make something like this
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 16:07   #3
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

very nice idea if someone can make a proper flash manual for it
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 16:09   #4
Intruder

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

I think since jolt wins money from more players comming it could not be bad idea pay someone to do it.

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Unread 18 Jan 2006, 16:12   #5
E.S.B.

E.S.B. is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea, now someone needs to do it. There would have to be a narrator too, so he explains what he is doing at that time. Maybe subpictures too (so ppl who are not that familiar with english, but read it, could try).
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 17:16   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm not sure that Jolt would be willing to do one specifically. To some extent this would really just be clicking through all the early game guides. I'd be more interested in people doing guides in other languages - I know there's one being written in German, and one in Dutch, but if anyone else wants to write a general "what is Planetarion and how does it work" basic guide in their own langauges, I'll make a place to put them on the portal / etc.

If someone wants to make one they're very welcome to though
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 02:54   #7
Intruder

I could do a Brazillian-portuguese version, but not soon since that takes time and i dont have PC at home atm. But i must confess that is extremely unmotivating to see that all initiative to increase playerbase must come from community. I remember someone ( if im not wrong idler ) offered to buy PA sometime ago and didnt cos they wanted too much money to sell. Sincerely, they dont do much to make the game rentable so why dont lower the price at that time and get rid of it? The way things are goin they will have to lower price someday.
The game will not grow without investing, specially cos there is plenty free options avaliable, or at least more popular ones. Time to someone at Jolt use the brains...

Coming back to Language's subject, multilingual skins surely would bring more players into the game... Apocco could see to that with Jolt ( tho i remember he was considering the subject ) many games with respectable playerbase i saw that offer this option and from what i noticed they dont have much problem admintrating a multi-lingual community. ofc this would make forum a little messy but moderators are here for that and definelly is better to have a bigger playerbase than an forum 100% readable

Channels:

Unread 19 Jan 2006, 11:57   #8
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
I could do a Brazillian-portuguese version, but not soon since that takes time and i dont have PC at home atm. But i must confess that is extremely unmotivating to see that all initiative to increase playerbase must come from community. I remember someone ( if im not wrong idler ) offered to buy PA sometime ago and didnt cos they wanted too much money to sell. Sincerely, they dont do much to make the game rentable so why dont lower the price at that time and get rid of it? The way things are goin they will have to lower price someday.
The game will not grow without investing, specially cos there is plenty free options avaliable, or at least more popular ones. Time to someone at Jolt use the brains...

Coming back to Language's subject, multilingual skins surely would bring more players into the game... Apocco could see to that with Jolt ( tho i remember he was considering the subject ) many games with respectable playerbase i saw that offer this option and from what i noticed they dont have much problem admintrating a multi-lingual community. ofc this would make forum a little messy but moderators are here for that and definelly is better to have a bigger playerbase than an forum 100% readable
All initiative doesn't come from the community, but why is it wrong that alot does?
i mean, we're all in the same boat, we all love the game, we all wanna see it with more players, so it all comes down to helping eachother.
The various free events are a great chance to increase the playerbase, but that does allso require "help" from the community, in like getting their friends to play. Seeing they don't have to pay and get to play a full round, they can easly test the game out, and get hooked

As for the multilanguage skins, one easy way of doing that is for ppl making skins to make the menulinks in the language they want the skin to be in.
As of yet planetarion doesn't support having one skin with multiple language "versions", but that isn't the most complex thing to code in if it gets decided todo so.

As for any more wide spread languagesupport i don't think it would be too good an idea, some things are best kept at a "commen ground"
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 12:04   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I remember someone ( if im not wrong idler ) offered to buy PA sometime ago and didnt cos they wanted too much money to sell.
If you're referring to BBW I think you can be happy they didn't sell
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 20:35   #10
Intruder

No one could do a worse job than Jolt :S

Channels:

Unread 21 Jan 2006, 20:41   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's not true. Planetarion is still running and is profitable enough to run a free round. The game is reliable and we haven't had any major problems for a long time now.
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 22:34   #12
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

While thats true furball, I, and alot of others I presume, haven't seen jolt do anything that I couldn't do myself. This is probably quite exaggerated, but they've been pressured into running a free round by PATeam, who were pressured by us, the players.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 22:48   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
While thats true furball, I, and alot of others I presume, haven't seen jolt do anything that I couldn't do myself. This is probably quite exaggerated, but they've been pressured into running a free round by PATeam, who were pressured by us, the players.
It didn't really take any effort at all to convince jolt that a free round was a good idea, we simply presented a compelling and convincing business case. It is a shame that due to illness within the team that we have let jolt and the community down. But jolt has shown great good will towards both PATeam and the community by continuing to go through with the free round despite the problems.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2006, 20:30   #14
Intruder

I hope then there was some more initiative from Jolt on advertise than just ask for votes on overview. Tho is cool a free rnd for us is no use to make a free rnd for current playerbase. This should be used to attract more players.

AND, as said above, the game is profitable. Why not invest some money to make it more and more friendly??

Channels:

Unread 22 Jan 2006, 20:37   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
I hope then there was some more initiative from Jolt on advertise than just ask for votes on overview. Tho is cool a free rnd for us is no use to make a free rnd for current playerbase. This should be used to attract more players.

AND, as said above, the game is profitable. Why not invest some money to make it more and more friendly??
The free round itself is an investment - it essence means jolt will have gone without income from Planetarion for 4-5 months which is a long period of time. However despite this jolt are working on increasing the amount of advertising for Planetarion - but as it has been said many times advertising is not really the best way to grow the game - word of mouth is.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2006, 22:42   #16
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

you could make the time in between rounds less so it's not constantly 4/5 months:P as has been said alot before aswell
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 12:51   #17
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Well, i was trying to explain the dude at my side about PA and showed him the manual and i saw on his face the same face i had when mates invited me to play back on rnd 2.
I maintain the Useful Links thread in Strategy, where under the 'Help Guides' section, there is a list of handy resources (both other threads and references from the PA Wiki) that are written by players for players in order to get people started.

However, its all in english, and its not animated either. I would imagine that a flash animation that is detailed enough to be useful would result in an immense file - it would have to be broken down into small chapters, and even then i would imagine it would take a while to download them all to view.

Anyway, the point of my post was that there are other resources other than the manual around, if your friend(s) is still looking for handy help guides .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote