User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Aug 2003, 03:31   #1
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
So you are going to uni....

...but which one? I am curious. To all who got in to their Firm or Insurance choices, where are you going and what are you studying? And to those who didn't get it what are you gonna do now? Clearing?

Personally I am going to Leeds to take a BSc (Hons) in Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies :-/ Get Private Pilot Licence at the end of it too (though the final practical exam for that is done independant of the course, everything else is done and I will likely get sponsorship through to take my ATPL - all good :-))
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 03:35   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Cambridge for maths.

Are you a real person doing aviation studies or are you being funny referring to how HAL piloted a spaceship?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 03:37   #3
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
hahah no I am a real person and am gonna be a real pilot :/ I'll try not to kill anyone while I'm at it. Oh and well done by the way :-)
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 03:42   #4
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Cambridge for maths.
Ouch.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 03:57   #5
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to the school that offered me money.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 04:11   #6
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I went to the hometown school of insane difficulty and promptly failed out. Then I went back and nearly failed out. Then I went to the school I should've gone to in the first place.

But then I'm not like most people

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 10:08   #7
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Quote:
The university/college is satisfied that you have met the entrance requirements, this means that you have a place for the course shown.

University of Bath, B16

Business Administration (4 year sandwich), N100
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 10:16   #8
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Off to Aberystwyth to do International Politics.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 10:26   #9
Haer
Aquafresh

Haer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura about
Bath to do Physics.
Haer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 11:16   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Amsterdam - Ancient History.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 11:24   #11
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Amsterdam - Ancient History.
I studied there once

Still that crappy building in the Spuistraat with windows that wont open?

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 11:49   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
I studied there once

Still that crappy building in the Spuistraat with windows that wont open?
The other uni
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 11:56   #13
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPeach
(4 year sandwich)

?
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 11:57   #14
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Cambridge for maths.
Which college?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 12:03   #15
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
4 year sandwich.

It means instead of a 3 year standard course, that I do two six month placements, making it 4 years in total.

Course Structure Explained.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 12:25   #16
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
The university/college is satisfied that you have met the entrance requirements, this means that you have a place for the course shown.

Cardiff University, C15

Accounting and Economics, LN14
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 12:27   #17
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
The other uni
but but but then you dont get to walk past all the prostitutes on your way to class!

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 12:29   #18
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Quote:
Cambridge for maths.
do mathematicians earn a lot of money?

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 12:49   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
Which college?
Clare.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zar
do mathematicians earn a lot of money?

Zar
If they choose to.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 13:06   #20
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Quote:
If they choose to.
in what field, how much etc..? My brother has to apply to uni this year, and he is considering maths, in oxbridge, imperial etc.. etc...

i am the elder brother and im supposed to give him a little incentive and guide (cause he looks up to me apparently) so parents have requested i speak to him.

A little advice perhaps? Maths isn't my degree field.

thanks

Zar
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 13:26   #21
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Clare.
Good choice!
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 13:27   #22
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Zar
in what field, how much etc..? My brother has to apply to uni this year, and he is considering maths, in oxbridge, imperial etc.. etc...

i am the elder brother and im supposed to give him a little incentive and guide (cause he looks up to me apparently) so parents have requested i speak to him.

thanks

Zar
A maths degree is worth π/180 radians hohoho.

I wouldn't have a clue, I haven't researched it either.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 14:48   #23
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
what is it with the mods around here and aberystwith uni?
do they do a course in modding or something?
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 15:46   #24
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
there just isnt much in the town, so they spend all day modding
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 15:55   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Trinity College Dublin to read Philosophy and Political Science.

I'll be spending a large percentage of my education in the pub in other words.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 15:59   #26
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Politics with Economics at Bath.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 17:45   #27
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
no, i think it's the Planetarion Studies course they do
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 17:47   #28
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ah, my apologies, i see now

there again, i cant say anything, as i may yet end up doing a distance learning degree from aberystwith on library and information studies, depends wether i can prise 4 grand out of my tightwad bosses :/
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 17:49   #29
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
but but but then you dont get to walk past all the prostitutes on your way to class!
I know
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 17:51   #30
KaneED
Motherfracker

Quote:
ah, my apologies, i see now

there again, i cant say anything, as i may yet end up doing a distance learning degree from aberystwith on library and information studies, depends wether i can prise 4 grand out of my tightwad bosses :/
that sounds like a very interesting course

Unread 15 Aug 2003, 17:56   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
A maths degree is worth &pi;/180 radians hohoho.
If you can stomach the ****ney wide boy twats who infest the Square Mile, with a maths degree you can earn loads of money in the city. Apparently.

I'm doing a Housing/Social Policy Degree at the LSE.

But that's not an undergraduate course tho.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 18:40   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
If you can stomach the ****ney wide boy twats who infest the Square Mile, with a maths degree you can earn loads of money in the city. Apparently.
True.

ps.

Mathematics at Christ's, 2004.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 18:47   #33
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
that sounds like a very interesting course

surprisingly enough, it could be quite interesting, also, it will make about 10k a year difference as soon as i qualify, so i am very tempted, as i say, it depends on my bosses though atm :/
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 18:58   #34
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Playstation studies
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 22:16   #35
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zar

thanks

Zar
Depends how much you want to make, and what work you want to do; "how much do maths grads earn" is a pretty broad question. If youre prepared to do something like moving to America and selling your soul to an investment bank, you could easily be making overf $100,000 in a couple of years (some of them even give upwards of $80,000 as a starting salary). You could earn quite a lot in London too if you wanted, though probably not as much (especially when you take into account tax/cost of living etc)

Last edited by Nodrog; 15 Aug 2003 at 22:22.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 22:23   #36
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Depends how much you want to make, and what work you want to do; "how much do maths grads make" is a pretty broad question. If youre prepared to do something like moving to America and selling your soul to an investment bank, you could easily be making upwards of $100,000 within 3 years. You could earn quite a lot in London too if you wanted, though probably not as much (especially when you take into account tax/cost of living etc)
The trouble is, if he does end up working for an investment bank or whatever he may be making loads of money but he will very likely be seriously bored in his job! I got given an extremely good piece of advice by one of my flying instructors which he had been given by his grandmother :-/ "Take what you enjoy doing and find out how you can get paid for doing it". He took her advice and now loves his life (after leaving a very well paid job as an engineer). I have also taken that same piece of advice and have taken this course at Leeds because of it.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 22:25   #37
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by HAL-9000
The trouble is, if he does end up working for an investment bank or whatever he may be making loads of money but he will very likely be seriously bored in his job!
Well yeah, it would suck.

He's not even started uni yet though, why care about his career? He's got loads of time to decide.

[edit - oh, its not your brother]
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:24   #38
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Quote:
[edit - oh, its not your brother]
Please explain this statement......I am confused now!
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:25   #39
Nodrog

Quote:
I thought you were the person who had the brother doing maths, but its actually zar
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:26   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
My 'friend' has erection problems, kind of thing.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:28   #41
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
My 'friend' has erection problems, kind of thing.
Quote:
I thought you were the person who had the brother doing maths, but its actually zar
So why are you talking about Zars brother having erection problems?
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:30   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So why are you talking about Zars brother having erection problems?
I preferred my explanation, even though it's wrong.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:34   #43
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

lol

im studying economics atm... so i might be working along side my brother one day (if he goes into investment banking)

damn damn damn damn damn

Zar
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:39   #44
Nodrog

I was looking aruond google for salary stuff, and investment banking jobs in London dont seem to pay that much (most of the sites I looked at said the average was around £70,000 and not many people get over £150,000).
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:41   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I was looking aruond google for salary stuff, and investment banking jobs in London dont seem to pay that much (most of the sites I looked at said the average was around £70,000 and not many people get over £150,000).
That would qualify as a lot to most people.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:45   #46
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
heh - it depends on the job. If the job is a fixed salary job with bonus then salaries are usually a good average. (£50k-£150k)

Some people however take jobs which works purely on commission, those are the ones with the greatest scope to earn loads or in bad days you earn very little.

My boss in his better years earned +£300k, in some of his worse years his salary dropped to about £25k

Zar
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:45   #47
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
That would qualify as a lot to most people.
Most people are silly then.

£100,000 a year isnt that much for a job that sucks. Remember, the tax rate in Britain is extortionate, so youre not going to have much over £60,000 left after the rest has been stolen from you. From that £60,000, about £10,000 will be spent compensating for the incredibly high cost of lving in London, so you have about £50,000 effectively.

Someone with a maths degree who isnt solely chasing after money could get a job they love doing, and expect to take home about £20,000 after tax minimum. So in real terms, youre getting (roughly) an extra £30,000 a year in exchange for doing a job that sucks, and working 60+ hour weeks.

sounds great

If money is your main driving goal, then working in Britain is dumb.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:47   #48
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
that's life. everywhere, not just in britain.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:48   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

A good job outside london earns around £35,40k pa.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 23:48   #50
queball
Ball

Enough to cover the stress and risk. I fail to see how investment is boring.