User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Sep 2006, 18:59   #51
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Do You Like Drink While Gamming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
i dont care what egotistical ****s like you think tbh dace.

liar liar pants on fire
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 19:03   #52
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

I understand the expected quality of GD is higher than other forums but always understood it to be the fellow users who would remove said bad poster with a flaming critique.

however I have never modded a forum so can understand, if this was such a clear case of an advertiser/spammer account then gameboy81 would have not responded to that.

i'll leave it to the professionals (heh)
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 19:25   #53
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
i dont care what egotistical ****s like you think tbh dace.
Dace's ego went out for a bottle of vodka 7 years ago and still hasn't come back
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 19:40   #54
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
[01:09:26] (TomKat): furball why did you ban that user?
[01:10:41] (KoeN): yes :[
[01:11:37] (furball): it was an advertiser
[01:11:47] (furball): or at least was going to be one
[01:11:57] (KoeN): unban plz :[
[01:14:33] (furball): it's obviously a spammer
[01:14:42] (KoeN): hm ok :[
[01:14:47] (furball): i'm not unbanning when someone comes along fitting all of the characteristics of a spammer
[01:15:27] (TomKat): er
[01:15:28] (furball): and you only want him unbanned so you can flame him off GD anyway
[01:15:30] (TomKat): he didnt advertise anything
[01:15:48] (furball): spammer doesn't equal advertising
[01:15:48] (TomKat): and i'm pretty sure one post isnt spamming
No IRC logs. Delete thread, ban user.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 20:32   #55
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
if he hasnt broken any rules then i dont see why furball had any right to ban him.
This is the thing though. He did break the rules, just because none of you saw it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Furball was right, anyone who says otherwise is wrong, close this thread and let's move on
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 21:56   #56
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
This is the thing though. He did break the rules, just because none of you saw it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Furball was right, anyone who says otherwise is wrong, close this thread and let's move on
It didn't happen.

The only post that guy has made is in the first post.

Nothing has changed.
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 22:10   #57
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It didn't happen.

Nothing has changed.
the move was not unprecedented.

this is not the first time this kind of thing has happened.

I don't recall you moaning about it before.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 22:10   #58
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
It didn't happen.

Nothing has changed.
It wasn't in his post, it was in his signature. He onl posted for people to see the link in his sig
We shall remember them.
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 22:45   #59
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
i dont care what egotistical ****s like you think tbh dace. go eat some battered marsbars you scotch prick
If the original post in this thread deserved a ban, then this one certainly does.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 22:46   #60
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I wonder if a scotch prick is something like a scotch egg.
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 23:13   #61
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
I wonder if a scotch prick is something like a scotch egg.
no.

it's much smaller
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 23:50   #62
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
i dont care what egotistical ****s like you think tbh dace. go eat some battered marsbars you scotch prick
Internet PA player who enters online beauty contest calls someone egotistical. Hell reports mild frost. Buses arrive on time.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:02   #63
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...utf-8&oe=utf-8

itt tomkat shuts up
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:11   #64
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I think the recent actions taken by planetarion officials is a ploy to get us all to leave. Why?

So this forum can be less elitist and more "omg lolz i got the n00bstick" or whatever these online personas like and thus attract more users and money
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:12   #65
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You shouldn't ban someone before they actually commit an offence, it's a pretty basic moral law not to pre-emptively punish. I do admit that he was probably a spammer*, but he hadn't actually committed any offence up to that point. The only possible infraction he made was mentioning that he liked slurpees, and I believe (going from the first posts in this thread) that furball didn't ban him on that basis, but rather on the basis that he was obviously an advertiser and would advertise in the future.

Again, I'm not against banning people for blatant advertising, but banning them because you believe they will advertise in the future is fundamentally wrong. Punishing someone for a future crime (however inevitable) is not acceptable under society's laws and shouldn't be acceptable here. I wouldn't care if it had been a GD mod who did the banning (but would a GD mod have done? I haven't seen any indication of such a possibility in their histories.), as they are meant to make these sorts of sensitive decisions as they have been put in a position of power for the good of the community. Mods from other forums shouldn't take action (especially a permanent ban) if there is the slightest shred of doubt, and I believe there was slightly more than a shred here.

*actually it's certain, Phang pasted this in #forums, it pretty much seals the deal: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...utf-8&oe=utf-8

edit: **** you phang!
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:50   #66
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Just because he posted a shit thread on a bunch of other forums doesn't mean he should be banned.

Besides, you've found the evidence now. Furball didn't find it. He banned first and asked questions after. That isn't what mods should do.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:56   #67
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
I thought this looked familiar.
You might notice he hasn't been banned here and also hasn't come back to spam anything.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 01:00   #68
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
Now theres an elegant argument.
you're getting the hang of this insulting on the internet arent you.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 01:14   #69
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
You might notice he hasn't been banned here
He has actually, both accounts linked to the ip were banned for spamming/advertising. :)
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 04:01   #70
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I want to read the Minority Report on this issue.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 07:40   #71
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Again, I'm not against banning people for blatant advertising, but banning them because you believe they will advertise in the future is fundamentally wrong. Punishing someone for a future crime (however inevitable) is not acceptable under society's laws and shouldn't be acceptable here.
The people against the mods on this one are turning into Spastics R'Us
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 07:47   #72
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I was just about to point out that conspiracy is a crime.

Then I read Yahwe's link.

Thus ends my exciting story about posting on an internet forum.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 08:29   #73
Tomkat

Yes because I'm sure gameboy81 is conspiring to take down GD from the inside

Anyway you're all getting caught up in the details.

The facts remain.

1. He hadn't broken a rule.
2. He wasn't spamming.

Even if it was highly probable that he would in the future then he hadn't broken any of the rules of the forums so far. And even if he had, banning someone straight out for breaking the rules isn't "what's done".

Closing the thread would have been fine (and almost expected). It wasn't going anywhere.

Editting his original post would have been fine - it's a very "GD" thing to do.

Banning a user straight out is NOT what GD does.

If banning was the only thing furball could do to counteract this, then he should have waited for a GD mod to come on and fix it. It's hardy like GD would explode from the one post from the shit poster in the meantime, is it?

I think the icing on the cake is that furball made a point about Marv doing this, when in many ways what he has done is worse. Marv isn't a GD mod. Neither is furball.

Last edited by Tomkat; 4 Sep 2006 at 08:34.
Tomkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 08:40   #74
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Tomkat, although I agree with you, I think you've made your point now, so maybe it's time to move on?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 08:42   #75
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Tomkat, although I agree with you, I think you've made your point now, so maybe it's time to move on?
Somenoe with less spare time on their hands and more to do with their days probably would, yes
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 10:18   #76
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
The people against the mods on this one are turning into Spastics R'Us
I dont think that gameboy's original post in this thread constitutes anything more than a mere preparatory act, so your conspiracy to advertise charge would not be upheld :o
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 10:24   #77
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I dont think that gameboy's original post in this thread constitutes anything more than a mere preparatory act, so your conspiracy to advertise charge would not be upheld
The post was made simply to point out how crap Tomkat's initial analogy was. Not to perpetuate it.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 10:28   #78
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not really sure what Tomkat's problem is here.

Is it that someone who was blatantly an advertiser was banned before they advertised?
Is it that Furball isn't a GD mod but banned someone from GD?

I don't give a shit if he hadn't broken any rules yet.
An experienced moderator and frequent user of this forum recognised the signs of a slightly better spammer than usual and banned him after one post.

It's not like if this person was 'real' they couldn't PM someone saying "why was my account banned" or make a new account and post in this thread.

Oh and someone said he had something in his signature? Was that true?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 10:58   #79
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I'm not really sure what Tomkat's problem is here.

Is it that someone who was blatantly an advertiser was banned before they advertised?
Is it that Furball isn't a GD mod but banned someone from GD?
In the past spammers weren't immediately banned from GD. Especially if they hadn't broken any rules.

One of the wonderful things about GD is how lenient and slack the moderating is. A mod from AR rushing in to ban a user for making a thread which potentially could have branched off into a discussion about something is NOT what should be happening.

It's a slippery slope down to power-hungry mods.

It isn't about "what my problem is". I haven't DONE anything except object. It's about "what furball's problem is and why he felt he had to jump in as quickly as possible to ban somebody".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Oh and someone said he had something in his signature? Was that true?
I don't remember seeing anything in his signature.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 11:03   #80
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No it isn't.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 11:12   #81
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In the past spammers weren't immediately banned from GD. Especially if they hadn't broken any rules.
But advertisers have always been immediately banned, and gimmick accounts are banned immediately quite often too.
Now you can't argue this wasn't either a gimmick account or an advertiser especially when it's been round half the forums on the Internet making the same thread.

Quote:
One of the wonderful things about GD is how lenient and slack the moderating is. A mod from AR rushing in to ban a user for making a thread which potentially could have branched off into a discussion about something is NOT what should be happening.
Out of interest - who are the current GD mods?
DM hasn't been on since saturday morning and T&F is only around sporadically.
I have no problem with mods coming from other parts of the forum - especially if they are regular users of GD.

I hardly think this is an example of a forum being over-moderated.

Quote:

It isn't about "what my problem is". I haven't DONE anything except object. It's about "what furball's problem is and why he felt he had to jump in as quickly as possible to ban somebody".
Because he recognised it as an advertising gimmick.
That's perfectly understandable, but like I said - I can't really understand your objections...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 11:34   #82
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I dont think that gameboy's original post in this thread constitutes anything more than a mere preparatory act, so your conspiracy to advertise charge would not be upheld
More than merely preparatory means 'embarking on the crime proper'. Given that there is no turning back (as the thing is automatic) one could (although perhaps not certainly) well say that on a criminal basis, something more than merely preparatory had taken place. The preparatory stage would be coding/acquiring the program/machinery to do it, embarking on the act would be actually starting to post on the forum itself.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 12:41   #83
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I bet when this thread was created the bots creator would never have forseen the impact his actions would have on an unsuspecting community.

For shame.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 19:47   #84
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
you make a very bad lawyer

P.S. Can someone please tell tomkat that when sunday8pm left we didn't put in an order for a replacement
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 20:14   #85
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
It wasn't in his post, it was in his signature. He onl posted for people to see the link in his sig
i noticed this too, it sort of makes this whole argument pointless, because he was actually advertising at the time.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 20:25   #86
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy81
I prefer the slurpee so i get a suga high.....then i go CraZZZZZZZy!!!!!!

Especially online against all the NooBs!!!!...hahahaha "die noob die!!!!!"
Dearest Sir,

Whilst I have not partaken of online video game entertainment for many a moon, I do recall that my tipple of choice was nothing more than a steaming cup of Assam with a splash of milk and half a sugar to perk up the mind. To be sure, it's certainly not bright colours, nor full of sugar, and certainly not as radically spelt as a 'slurpee'! But each, my friend it seems, to his own.

I hope this electronic posting finds you in good health,

Yours
Paul

Last edited by pablissimo; 4 Sep 2006 at 20:36.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 01:12   #87
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
i noticed this too, it sort of makes this whole argument pointless, because he was actually advertising at the time.
Yes, but because Tomkat didn't see it, it clearly didn't happen and so TK is right and we are all wrong and gameboy should be unbanned at once
We shall remember them.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 09:19   #88
Tomkat

He wasn't advertising another game. Therefore wasn't breaking the rules.

Maybe you should read the rules about advertising dude.

Besides this whole thing is silly. I'm not even that bothered about it - I've just bothered to reply to each person individually who disagrees with me instead of just blanket-replying. So now it looks like I have a real problem with furball, when I don't
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 09:55   #89
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You know I'm with tomkat here.

I say this because time after time I see new people coming not only to GD but PD and trying to get involved. We all have to start somewhere. To be quite frank maybe it was a real account?

Maybe just maybe it was a new guy looking to post here.

We will never find out as we treat new people like shit.

This goes from banning them (which ultimately may have been correct but not at that point in time imo) to being damn right twattish to them.

If he was an advertiser, so what?

We are all old enough not to take notice of the shit when it begins, and im sure the mods are more than capable of cleaning up the shit that occurs because of it.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:07   #90
Ste
Bored

pig - he was an advertiser.
he had an advertising link in his sig.
he has advertised on other forums.
he has been banned on other forums.
people other than the regulars browse GD and might click on the link bringing more advertisers to this forum.
So no, it wasn't a real account, furball knew it wasn't a real account and banned it.

Why the hell is it even an issue?

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:15   #91
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
pig - he was an advertiser.
he had an advertising link in his sig.
he has advertised on other forums.
he has been banned on other forums.
people other than the regulars browse GD and might click on the link bringing more advertisers to this forum.
So no, it wasn't a real account, furball knew it wasn't a real account and banned it.

Why the hell is it even an issue?
If furball had identified those criteria when he made the decision, there wouldn't be (as much of) a problem. The point is that he only suspected that he was an advertiser and banned him without actually identifying any rules that he had broken. It's the same principle as "knowing" that someone has committed a crime but not being able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:20   #92
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It's the same principle as "knowing" that someone has committed a crime but not being able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.
Legal analogies are stupid because this isn't a court - it's a private forum where the people who manage it can ban people for whatever reason they want. Rule 1, etc.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:43   #93
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Legal analogies are stupid because this isn't a court - it's a private forum where the people who manage it can ban people for whatever reason they want. Rule 1, etc.
I was only using a legal analogy because the concepts and rules of law are normally fairly closely equated with justice. I see as high a level as possible of justice as a desirable characteristic for any group (from societys to our own little community). I wasn't (as I'm sure you knew) stating that because it is the law it is what we should do, I don't always agree with the law, but in this case I do. Innocent until proven guilty is a desirable tenet for any social group imo and in this case it was ignored.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:50   #94
Ste
Bored

if the punishment is simply to have your account that you just registered that day banned but it's possible to get it back or register a new one easily then it's hardly a big moral dilemma is it?

this is stupid, he was obviously an advertising gimmick, he's been proven to be an advertising gimmick and I hope that all future advertising gimmicks are banned on the spot as well.

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 10:56   #95
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I see as high a level as possible of justice as a desirable characteristic for any group (from societys to our own little community).
I agree with this to an extent, but I don't feel terms like "justice" apply here fully. If I say "I don't really want x in my house because I don't like them, I find them dull." that would be pretty "unjust" but it'd be perfectly valid behaviour. Trying to apply concepts of justice to social groups seems pretty odd tbh; "Well, I don't like them, but I can't prove they're shit so I guess I have to invite them to my birthday party. ".

As I've said many times, there should only be one rule* : Don't be shit. And the original poster broke that pretty blatantly and thus I've no problem with the ban.

* = I've no problem with some list of "Common Examples of Being Shit" (e.g. spamming, flaming, etc.) but that list should not be seen as definitive.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 11:10   #96
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I agree with this to an extent, but I don't feel terms like "justice" apply here fully. If I say "I don't really want x in my house because I don't like them, I find them dull." that would be pretty "unjust" but it'd be perfectly valid behaviour. Trying to apply concepts of justice to social groups seems pretty odd tbh; "Well, I don't like them, but I can't prove they're shit so I guess I have to invite them to my birthday party. ".

As I've said many times, there should only be one rule* : Don't be shit. And the original poster broke that pretty blatantly and thus I've no problem with the ban.

* = I've no problem with some list of "Common Examples of Being Shit" (e.g. spamming, flaming, etc.) but that list should not be seen as definitive.
The problem is that internet forums are somewhere in between normal social groups and a society with rules and laws. Neither one or the other, but with aspects from both. The rules are in place simply because it is difficult to self-police* internet forums in the same way that it can be done in normal social groups. This is due to the general unaccountability of the internet as a medium and the fact that it is very difficult to use normal common sense methods to change the behaviour of individuals who are making the forum a worse place. Therefore we have mods, a few individuals with powers to do things that others cannot.

My point is that such actions (especially bannings) should be seen as a last resort. I am far more impressed with a forum that can enforce it's rules and norms without actually having to use modding powers than one which relies on them as a first port of call. This may be just a personal preference.

* Or at least it used to be, when was the last time someone significantly bothered us and required a ban?**

** <3 Idi
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 11:11   #97
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I was only using a legal analogy because the concepts and rules of law are normally fairly closely equated with justice. I see as high a level as possible of justice as a desirable characteristic for any group (from societys to our own little community). I wasn't (as I'm sure you knew) stating that because it is the law it is what we should do, I don't always agree with the law, but in this case I do. Innocent until proven guilty is a desirable tenet for any social group imo and in this case it was ignored.
furball didn't ban this account for the sake of it, he clearly saw that this was an advertising/spam/bot account and banned it. Moderators are judge, jury and executioner - he gave reasons for his decision, he has shown evidence for that decision to people who were not happy. The forums could not possibly run as a democracy or a court - instead we have trusted individuals safeguarding the rules of the forum, who (while this doesn't apply to PA team as they appoint themselves) are appointed largely (but not exclusively) on merit.

Moderators do not have to justify everything they do because in their mind they assessed the situation properly and made a decision, but they do so because the legitimacy of their decisions are important to them and the users of the forum. They are well aware that 'trust' from the userbase is important.

The evidence has been laid before you, as you asked for it. furball, unsurprisingly has been proven to be right. To simply argue against his decision as some users think this chap or the other thread is 'entertaining' simply shows a disrespect for the rules in place and such selfishness cannot possibly be justified. To suggest furball wasn't acting justly is absurd; to use an argument based on justice to undermine his decision, even more so.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 11:38   #98
Ste
Bored

Quote:
My point is that such actions (especially bannings) should be seen as a last resort. I am far more impressed with a forum that can enforce it's rules and norms without actually having to use modding powers than one which relies on them as a first port of call. This may be just a personal preference.
That's fine.
Except when it comes to advertising bots who should be banned and deleted instantly.

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 11:44   #99
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
furball didn't ban this account for the sake of it, he clearly saw that this was an advertising/spam/bot account and banned it. Moderators are judge, jury and executioner - he gave reasons for his decision, he has shown evidence for that decision to people who were not happy. The forums could not possibly run as a democracy or a court - instead we have trusted individuals safeguarding the rules of the forum, who (while this doesn't apply to PA team as they appoint themselves) are appointed largely (but not exclusively) on merit..
I'm not saying that GD should be run as a democracy or a court, I do however think that there are enough responsible users for it to get by without intervention*, which I see as desirable.

Quote:
Moderators do not have to justify everything they do because in their mind they assessed the situation properly and made a decision, but they do so because the legitimacy of their decisions are important to them and the users of the forum. They are well aware that 'trust' from the userbase is important.
If furball was so aware that trust was important then he shouldn't have used his powers when it was uneccesary to do so. Especially on a forum where he isn't a mod. The more people see decisions being made without evidence, or, more importantly, where discretion could easily have been used without ill-effects - then the worse it is going to be for the "trust" GD users have for him. There are a significant number of users who have posted in this thread as dissatisfied with what has taken place, and if you don't see this as an undesirable outcome then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
The evidence has been laid before you, as you asked for it. furball, unsurprisingly has been proven to be right. To simply argue against his decision as some users think this chap or the other thread is 'entertaining' simply shows a disrespect for the rules in place and such selfishness cannot possibly be justified. To suggest furball wasn't acting justly is absurd; to use an argument based on justice to undermine his decision, even more so.
I never really doubted that he was an adbot, that doesn't change the principle. Tomkat and myself have attempted to explain this to you numerous times, both on the forums and on irc, so I'm not going to bother trying again.

To denigrate our protest by suggesting that we wished him to stay simply because he was "entertaining" is completely missing the point again. It's not about there being a positive outcome due to him staying, it's about the negative outcome created through the heavy-handed use of power.

I reserve the right to show a disrespect for the rules in place whenever I disagree with them, thankyou very much.

You're going to have to qualify your use of the word "absurd" before I address the point in your last sentence I think. If you pointed out what exactly was absurd about my argument, I'll happily reply.

*except in certain extreme cases, but this wasn't one of them.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 12:31   #100
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no doubt that most of you will be familiar with the board game "Risk", the game, as it states on the box, of world conquest.

A fortnight or so ago, I became introduced to a game called Britannia. I mention Risk because Britannia shares more than the odd passing similarity. The board design is similar, although obviously Britannia only covers Great Britain, as is the Reinforce -> Attack -> Move On turn structure. There are, of course, several differences, the two most significant of which are Britannia's dedication to an attempt at historical accuracy and the way in which a single player plays multiple factions, which rise and fall over the centuries the game is played under. Each of the 16 turns have different points scoring conditions for the different nations, and leaders and nations rise and fall.

All fairly straightforward stuff, at least if you pay attention to the rules. The game can, apparantly, be very changable; whilst there are some expected scores - the Romans, for example, are expected to get around 50 points before they bugger off again - there's also the capacity for upset. In the game we played, the Jutes (a northern, germanic people who came along at the same time as the Angles and the Saxons, but were somewhat crushed and so ****ed off back to Jutland) not only managed to survive more than a couple of turns and score points, but actually managed to survive to the end of the game, ending up with more control of England than the Normans. According to the owner of the game, the multiple ASNAC (Anglo-saxon, Norse and Celtic, a tripos subject at Cambridge) games that they had played of this had never resulted in such a situation.

Of course, during the game, we referred to different nations in the abstract. We called them, as you would, "nations". This appeared to represent a sticking point for one of our players, he being Giles's youngest brother Oliver. Oliver is a History/Politics undergrad at Newcastle, and when we started to call the nations nations he became agitated and whined at us. Why? Apparantly, we couldn't use the word "nation" to describe the factions involved. Why not? Because of some treaty in the 19th Century. What did that have to do with it, we said? An anachronism, said he. This rather confused us, as speaking English at all during the game would surely be counted as an anachronism. We pushed him for a definition of the word nation, but he merely kept on referring to different treaties and pacts without actually saying anything. In the end, I won the game. But that's neither here nor there.

Whilst there are of course instances in which the behaviour of an "outsider" is to be criticised or questioned, such as happened recently with the s|k/Marv incident, there are situations when you have to either clarify your argument so it actually makes sense. Complaining that someone else banned an account that was certainly, from the testimony of all concerned who saw the original post in its native habitat, an advertising spammer. Refusal of to recognise that the rules are at best an artifact of an earlier, more innocent age of the internet is another side of this, as is the fact that mods were granted power to ban in the first place so that advertising or spamming accounts could be gotten rid of without having to wait for an admin, or board specific mod, to wake up.

If you continue to ignore this, then you will look like poor young Oliver. Viz, a bit of a fool.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 5 Sep 2006 at 12:38.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote