User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:24   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Spinner

You wanted a new game, with new players and new fun. You got a new game, with few new players and erhm, well not too much fun(yet). Now this is not a complaint about how PaX works, as the game itself is not that bad. However, you have removed some extremely nice features from PLANETARION(r1-9.5)

1. Where did the Gal Status page go? The Overview is rather messy, and I honestly think keeping the old gal status page would have been ALOT better.

2. The Journal? I know alot of people used it, not only for saving scans and the such, but for info that they could fast and easily look up when needed, without having to go open a notepad document

3. Scheduled Launched are ruining the game. People whos constantly attacked have to sit up all night to get def, which is now even harder as there are not many people online anymore. Make the players having to do some effort to win fs, or the game wont be fun anymore.

4. Make the ingame alliance page USEFUL! Its crap. Only thing its useful for r the etas, so much for controlling the alliances eh?

5. The Shipsstats and etas aint much fun. Maybe atleast let people be able to research for the possebility to make their fleets attack and/or defend for several ticks?? The shipsstats r so not fun, compared to all the tactics one could use in pevious rounds.

6. THank GOD you removed the Advisor feature

I fail to see why you had to change it all, as there were so many good features already. The ENgineers and Ingame alliance are great ideas, same with the ability to name fleets. I personally dont like the score system, tho many does...

Now, dont flame me. Gimme some nice comments and opinions, maybe Spinner(and the other creators) decided to listen to the community for once?? We are the one paying their houses :P

Spinner, youve done a h*ll of a job creating THE BEST ONLINE MULITPLAYER GAME EVER, about 3-4 years? Why use 2 months ruining it??

Ive seen too many players quit, and I think about 50%-70% of the players I know are planing to quit after this round, just playing to see what its like, and most of them are dissapointed, and decided to give it up. Im here for my alliance atm, tho it will be impossible to ruining ones life for this :/

hope you can take this as constructive critisism
sincerely

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:49   #2
Hydrax

Hydrax is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Spinner

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
You wanted a new game...

*a long story*

...hope you can take this as constructive critisism
sincerely

-Jonas-
I completely agree. It's not so much that this game is crap, it's that the previous game was so much fun.
I'll have to wait before the reall battles start to give a well founded comment on this game though.

What I missed in Jonas' list is the unique features of the ships per race, like emp, cloak and stealing. Ik kinda liked that one, it gave an edge to the game and also resulted in fun tactics.
Hydrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:51   #3
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
well i'd agree with all that, with one minor alteration: scheduled launches, when you have one tick battles, are virtually essential for defence. allow scheduled launches for defence, then, and not attack?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:11   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
I like scheduled launches, but not cause i'm lazy and don;t want to stay up to attack. They make defending easier - say their is eta 11 incs, but your eta 10 person has to go offline, they can schedule and you get the call covered. I admit it doe smake life easy for laxzy attackers though, BUT it also means some people can attack when they couldn;t before due to school.work in the morning, annoying parents, wahtever.

Onto number of ticks for attacks, 1 tick attacks leads to some interesting tactical elements... we will probably see more fleet catching as people are used to setting fleets up for 1 tick hits... there is also the possibiltiy of attacking for 24 hours without def overlapping form tick to tick.... makes defending hard. That is the main problme with it really, it makes defending hard... however scheduled launches counteract that to an extent. Maybe research into spending more ticks at a palnet could be a possibilty for next round.

Ship stats - i like em myself, nice and simple, easy to calc with, sur eu ahve to guess the priorties of your enemy, but we had to guess in previous rounds - which fleet a xan player sent for instance. The fleet priorities add new tactics to the game, bcs will need new skills etc. So all in all i like the new comba system and the ship stats, but then I fo have a fuly functional bcalc to help me out

Journal was pointless... i allways used notepad, waste of resources to ahve it in PaX, so i'm gald its gone.

You are maybe right about the galstatus page - that should return, possibly though when you or your gal gets incoming the button should light up like the mail and news ones do.

In game alliance pages do need improving, but i'm sure that will happen for next round

Sorry for not replying in the right order.

One thing we shoudl all do is play the game for another few weeks before giving any real comments, we need to get used to it and how it works.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:52   #5
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1. Where did the Gal Status page go? The Overview is rather messy, and I honestly think keeping the old gal status page would have been ALOT better.

2. The Journal? I know alot of people used it, not only for saving scans and the such, but for info that they could fast and easily look up when needed, without having to go open a notepad document

3. Scheduled Launched are ruining the game. People whos constantly attacked have to sit up all night to get def, which is now even harder as there are not many people online anymore. Make the players having to do some effort to win fs, or the game wont be fun anymore.

4. Make the ingame alliance page USEFUL! Its crap. Only thing its useful for r the etas, so much for controlling the alliances eh?

5. The Shipsstats and etas aint much fun. Maybe atleast let people be able to research for the possebility to make their fleets attack and/or defend for several ticks?? The shipsstats r so not fun, compared to all the tactics one could use in pevious rounds.

ad 1. Well, it would be nice to at least get some kind of notice (preferbly in red) on top of the overview page that your gal have incomings. In that case it would suffice.

ad. 2 Hmmm, to bad you did not comment on the much more pleasant feature of stored scans that we have gained now !! Stored scans over journal anyday !!!

ad 3. I love scheduled launches. I have a fulltime job and decently active social life. Nightly launches just **** up my sleep rythm and it was one of the reasons for me to quit during round 6 when I got overstressed.

ad 4. Clealry the in game alliance features need a lot of work still. So I agree there buthave hopes for improvement and off course I do like the alliance rankings now.

ad 5. Well, the steal/emp/cloack features are missing now but you do have flleetcombo strategy still very heavily depending on race choice and when the round progresses the fleet priorities can compensate for he loss of the ships features. Mayby in future the races could get a special fleet priority research that only their race can use like stealth or steal. Of course it won't be a ships feature then but a tactical fleet choice.

ad 6. Agreed.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:23   #6
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
i only have 3 critisms.

1) the cap formula is ****.
2) the lack of public formulas.
3)wtf happened to gal stat ? (outgoing fleets is v important to some of us.)
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:34   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I'm going to wander in here and support the delayed launch feature - My school goes from 00:00 till about 09:00 GMT (as i live in Western Australia) and thus i have simply been unable to assist my alliance in either attacking or defending during this time in the past - instead i had to try and make it up at other (less favourable) times for me. With this delayed launch feature, not only to i get the oppertunity to assist my alliance when i'm not around, but it also allows me to be on much more even turf with everyone else.

In the past, launching raids at 23:00 or during the day tended to be of much higher risk, which is why in the last 6 rounds i have attacked perhaps 50 times, of which many ships were destroyed because i have been unable to recall them etc, which adversely effects my ranking and so on.

So, that feature gets the big thumbs up from me .

Pity about the ship stats though :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:23   #8
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts
Yes i must say i did expect PA to be much much better than this.

Spinner instead of giving us what we want you are telling us what we want which is not a good thing.

WAKE UP AND GET YOUR ACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:46   #9
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
I, for one, would'nt wanna play one more round of old pa. it's zzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:04   #10
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
I, for one, would'nt wanna play one more round of old pa. it's zzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It sure is

But this is not too exciting atm either.

Imo only a few things are needed:

Bigger differences between races.

More players (:P)

Maybe changing of the score system(not sure yet)
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 19:10   #11
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
Old PA was mainly booring because of the alliances. And with the good new features from PaX like engineering and The Con / Res system, + more I am sure it could get far moe interesting. Whats up with all ships costing the same now, its not mich fun

ah well, so far its been a good discussion keep it going ;D

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 20:57   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Agreed. It is so confusing having it all there. It was much clearer before. Much better to have something you can glance at quickly and work out.

Quote:

I don't see why this is such a big deal.
Start --> Accessories --> Notepad
It's an amazing invention...

Quote:

Indeed. Some sort of penalty should be imposed for scheduled launchers.

Quote:

Spamming the forums > *
Apart from that, yeah it's crap. Nice having -1 ETA though. Thats... about ... it.

Quote:

We haven't seen the shipstats in operation properly yet. Wait until we get some real resources coming in, so we can buy more shippies

Quote:

I don't know... it wasn't that bad.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 21:39   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Spinner

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
I don't see why this is such a big deal.
Start --> Accessories --> Notepad
It's an amazing invention...
Possibly; but not everyone uses Windows though and, more importantly, not everyone's accessing PA from the same computer all day. The nice thing about the journal is that you could keep all your important game information in the game; and whether you were at home, at work, at school, or a friend's house; you always had everything you needed with you.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 00:48   #14
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Re: Re: Spinner

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
Indeed. Some sort of penalty should be imposed for scheduled launchers.
Like having the ability to notice a schecduled launch being set, some sort of percentage of discovery or something

Retired
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 00:55   #15
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Re: Re: Re: Spinner

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Possibly; but not everyone uses Windows though and, more importantly, not everyone's accessing PA from the same computer all day. The nice thing about the journal is that you could keep all your important game information in the game; and whether you were at home, at work, at school, or a friend's house; you always had everything you needed with you.

E X A C T L Y

Retired
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 12:01   #16
HiHou
G4MER

HiHou is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Most of the things I now see in PaX are good and I really like the game now more than the earlier rounds.. but the 2 things I would like to see back are gal status page and race's special abilities (emp/cloak/steal). I know it's way too late now but for r11.. to keep the ppl playing this game and to keep PA alive.
I've had the feeling there's something missing, something! Now I think I know what it is. For the last rounds I've played I think the most interesting thing was to see how your galm8's attacks went and where they were attacking etc. Now there's no such exitement.
The shipstats now look quite boring.. if you could somehow get emp, cloaked and stealing back it would be great. I know there's now new stragegy and tactics possible, which I think are great. Those and the race's special abilites together would be tehh bomb!!! having emp back would propably mean getting initiative back though,t which will make the game more complicated for the n00bs. But for keeping PA alive, that's a small cost for that!

Really appreciate the work you've done to keep PA alive and running Spinner. Hope you keep up the good work and listen to what we players think and have in mind.

PS. no need for getting journal back
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 12:16   #17
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
i 100% agree on all points jonas.
you didn't even name some other things that bother quite a lot of players, like the ETA difference for 10 clusters around the one you're in, and the 1-tick landing.
spinner, we all know how much work you put into the new game and we appreciate it. but you have to see that on the whole PaX is simply less fun than the other rounds and that a majority of the playing community would prefer pa old-style above PaX.
i hope you can do something with this information.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 12:20   #18
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

I think its so that you can't see any of your galaxys outgoing fleets, which makes guess ing their alliance(if they hadnt toldyou already) hard

Also, if I send ingal def, it wont display on overview, well mine didnt atleast...weird thing

-JOnas-

Retired
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 14:12   #19
waassaa
unknown to all

waassaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think its so that you can't see any of your galaxys outgoing fleets, which makes guess ing their alliance(if they hadnt toldyou already) hard

Also, if I send ingal def, it wont display on overview, well mine didnt atleast...weird thing

-JOnas-
it shows on your overview as the "me" fleets
on your gal mates its shows normal.

Not in any alliance, but to be found in the #LCH channel amongst others. Just wanted that cleared up.
waassaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 15:59   #20
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
I am happy to give some replies here later tonight, have a little moving-in party to attend to, but will be back at my desk late tonight.
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 19:57   #21
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: Spinner

Quote:
Originally posted by HiHou
having emp back would propably mean getting initiative back though,t which will make the game more complicated for the n00bs. But for keeping PA alive, that's a small cost for that!
initiatives would collide with all ships stealing roids, but it could be done probably

just want to say i like the game very much, most of the things that are mentioned in this thread are minor issues except the combat ofc, i'd like more interesting ships back for next round too.

seems the main difference is some people say "new features are nice but the old game was better, include new features there". others say "new game is nice, include some of the old features tho". in the end what both want is the same. just the people who always whine use the opportunity to whine, while people who like to see things positive admit they like it.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2003, 20:12   #22
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally posted by Envious
just the people who always whine use the opportunity to whine, while people who like to see things positive admit they like it.

Well said.

Instead of criticising just because you don't like it, you should try to give alternatives to it.
Unread 21 Sep 2003, 11:48   #23
Twist
A Pro without Mercy

Twist is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Broken Promises

Quote:
20 Sep 2003 16:59 Spinner I am happy to give some replies here later tonight, have a little moving-in party to attend to, but will be back at my desk late tonight.
just one comment: typical
R7: 27:15:10 Jack Cartright of The Chantry Rank 95
R8: 31:10:2 TheRealDuke of The Bladerunner Rank 186
R9: 43:10:5 Galliard of Glasswalker Rank 556 at the time I did still care
R9.5 28:4:2 Ahroun of Get of Fenris Rank 67
Delenda est PAX !
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2003, 15:40   #24
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Envious
seems the main difference is some people say "new features are nice but the old game was better, include new features there". others say "new game is nice, include some of the old features tho". in the end what both want is the same. just the people who always whine use the opportunity to whine, while people who like to see things positive admit they like it.

This is no frigging whine thread, so go somewhere else unless you intend to discuss. I for one belive that Spinner should listen to the players. Get HCs of the alliance, or some people from the community to discuss with. Pools are useful etc...

There were once 180k players in this game(well planets anyway, probably 80k players) Now theres about 2k planets, and alot of them are on their last round. PA dont seem to be recruiting, so something is wrong. I find PA alot more difficult to explain to a newbie now, than before. Looking forward to Spinner's reply

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 21 Sep 2003, 15:43   #25
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
I am happy to give some replies here later tonight, have a little moving-in party to attend to, but will be back at my desk late tonight.

Must be some party.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 09:11   #26
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

I guess it went a bit far, that party. maybe he'll wae up and reply today?

Retired
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 13:40   #27
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
SPINNER!@$!@#
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 13:50   #28
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Looking forward to that. What i think, well I do like PaX more, although there have been some screw ups it has turned out ok. Removing good features was a bit useless though. Things like having races back would be nice ofc, also i think the alliance feature could be reduced to eta - 1 only as the rest don't make much difference now. Agree on most points basically
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 21:36   #29
evil one
banana

evil one is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
Looks like spinner has had 3 days of partying!
evil one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 08:34   #30
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

yeah, hes teh l33t party guy, hes been and all night and day

Retired
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 10:23   #31
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Patience is a virtue.
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 13:15   #32
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by WipeOut
Patience is a virtue.
Patience is a necessity in this case

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 00:34   #33
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Patience and stupidity are not the same thing...

I have patience, waited all night for that reply, you have stupidyti thinkin waiting 3 days for a reply said to be posted the same night is patience ;P

no offence, youre probably smart

Spinner will you sell the old Planetarion?

Retired
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 03:51   #34
Yan-Je

Yan-Je is an unknown quantity at this point
well, alot of you may think journals are now useless due to the introduction of stored scans. however, u can still store the scans in the journal, u can put a list of potential targets, store coords of enemies or those who tries to cov-op u time after time .
Gal status is definately important, it's just confusing some ppl and getting them overeacting when they see red colours in overview.
For effective defence, we do have to know outgoing fleets from the galaxy... why was that taken out?
Scheduled launches are great, but defence fleets should have some kind of advantage as the targets will only know of incomings when the fleet is sent which gives them 1 less tick to prepare for defence. this is of course balanced by the alliance travel of -eta1 but its surely cutting out almost any possibility of defence for ppl not in an alliance.
and finally there should be some kind of score formulae or a sheet which tells us how much each ship killed is worth in score and etc. at the moment, its too confusing. e.g i killed 4 times the ships i lost while defending against ppl only slightly less value than me and yet i end up loosing score?
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 11:01   #35
Borgoroth
Reunion

Borgoroth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I didnt bother to read the whole thread, so maybe someone has posted this already, but I use the in-game message system to store info I need by mailing to myself .
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 13:07   #36
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmz, where is spinner gone i wonder?! I also have this other crazy idea. Like special things one can only do once in a round. Something like a surprize attack where ur ships would appear on the targets scree only a tick before arriaval, something like a power attack. And different races could have different specials. That would make them more different. Also trading score for specials could be a possibility.. What do u think?
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 14:10   #37
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

I think the lemmings would abuse it for their roundly cliff jump on some poor furgion

Retired
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 15:04   #38
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think the lemmings would abuse it for their roundly cliff jump on some poor furgion
Nah,

that would make them survive the jump.
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 16:22   #39
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Yan-Je
For effective defence, we do have to know outgoing fleets from the galaxy... why was that taken out?
If you want to know outgoing fleets from your gal then organise it. I know it would be difficult to get the info from everybody and it would probably require to much effort to get it all organised but the info is available if a gal would want to go for it.

But for more basic measures.
Let everybody give regular fleetupdates somewhere and some info their most likely away (attack) fleets so you can have a decent amount of chance you know what a player might have home.
Also just make sure you get hold of your galm8 before ETA 5 so you can ask him and the gal can still organize something. make sure you overdefend a bit if possible so you have the ability to swithc some def in gal untill late.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 19:45   #40
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Ack, thanks to Leshy who reminded me I owe a reply here
------------------------------------------------------------------
You wanted a new game, with new players and new fun. You got a new game, with few new players and erhm, well not too much fun(yet). Now this is not a complaint about how PaX works, as the game itself is not that bad. However, you have removed some extremely nice features from PLANETARION(r1-9.5)

The main idea behind PaX was absolutely to change the game. All numbers were decreasing, we were very unsucessfull in attract5ing and keeping new players due to anything from bashing, complexity, time-requirement and cheaters.
And wether you agree or not, PA was becoming less and less a game and more and more a predefined alliance discussion forum (ok, I am pushing it here, I know)
As for change, I think we have done the right thing. Will it save PA? No idea yet.

Sure, this is your opinion, but I am not convinced it is horribly important to most people. Whether the info is on one page , or two as before, isnt really in any way crucial to the game. I personally prefer it on the overview, right along my own incs, and by the end of this round, I think we will all be used to it.

Our statistics showed that the journal was mostly unused for most planets in PA. So with all the prioritising we had to do, it fell out. Its not very hard to put one back in, I'll see what I can do about it.

[i]One of the things we had to change if we are ever going to be interesting for new players, is the awkward times, and the amount of time, required to play PA. PA should not be about who sleep less, or who lives in which time-zones, and if you thought "staying up late" and "skill" is the same thing, um, the "fs" back at you (:

As said, the alliance pages is there to provide a barebone minimum of required tools for organising an alliance. We try, by using ETA, to have alliances sign up ingame so that we can have some degree of control over them. But more importantly, a properly integrated barebones alliance site, makes it a lot easier, specially for new players, to join and create alliances. I am sure the future, if we have one, will have plenty upgrades in store for us.

Again, this was a decent attempt of simplification, and dealing with some problems with the old system (which you seem to have forgotten completely). The multiple tick attack / defense are big factors when it comes to the speed of growth, bash attacks being rewarded over 3 ticks etc etc. Who knows, it may return, but we wanted this round to be simple, with all the new things to consider. Also, I am sure we havent seen the last new invention in tactics in this system just yet.

It will return (-:

I fail to see why you had to change it all, as there were so many good features already. The ENgineers and Ingame alliance are great ideas, same with the ability to name fleets. I personally dont like the score system, tho many does...
Spinner, youve done a h*ll of a job creating THE BEST ONLINE MULITPLAYER GAME EVER, about 3-4 years? Why use 2 months ruining it??
Ive seen too many players quit, and I think about 50%-70% of the players I know are planing to quit after this round, just playing to see what its like, and most of them are dissapointed, and decided to give it up. Im here for my alliance atm, tho it will be impossible to ruining ones life for this :/

Yes, why did we have to change all that we have changed...
Why indeed...
It's not very hard to figure out actually. Planetarion has been "dying" for a long time, many many rounds. And it was a fairly easy agreement among "the top heads" behind PA that we needed massive change. Jolt bought it, and Jolt wanted change as well. As did a lot of the players.
With all numbers pointing downwards anuyway, it wasnt as big a risk as it might seem, but I share your opinions on some issues. Sure, it is a more "simple" game now. Sure, we wish we could have spent another month on improvement. Sure, we wish we could explain exatly why 9.000 of the 14.000 players in rd 9.5 cant be bothered to sign up for a free account even, to try it out.
Long have there been shouts for free accounts, we did a full free round for promotion, we revamped much of the game, we changed the look, we integrated a lot of the systems a lot better (support, payment, portal etc), and "logically speaking" noone anticipated the poor results we are seeing.
I don't know what the future may or may not bring, I dont even know if PA has one atm, but I will see the outline of a future plan within a couple of days.
Little good will come from pondering too much about the low signup numbers, time is better spent on the future development.
Some of the things you miss are very likely to return, some perhaps not.

hope you can take this as constructive critisism
Me too (:
And I hope you can live with these answers cause that's all you get this time (:
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 21:12   #41
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Thanks for replying(eventually )

Anyhow, Mr. Spinner. Iv esupported you on theese forums before, and I think youve done a great job with this game. However, something is not like it used to be. The most successive online web based game ever has been struggeling for a year and a half. The game we currently have, got some nice things, however it looks like a hasted product, where too much have been removed. AS suggested in another thread, can you plz have some polls?

I wabt to know asap wether to leave the community or to stay(which I will do if there are hopes for some sort of melting together the "two" games)

I know LOTS of people are wondering...Ive heard so many say that they only paid for this to check it out, they are dissapointed and will leave etc...about player numbers, the only thing I can say is that they look to be far worse next round if something isnt done...people are leaving everyday

Well, thanks anyway. Whatever happends, I wont forget the rounds you gave me so far

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 22:16   #42
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Well having no galaxy overview makes me overlook ingal incomming all the time. Something should be done to make sure idiots like me don't forget to check it.

2. Journal would be handy.

3. Scheduled launches is great. Too bad others schedule their launches as well, to attack us when people are fast asleep. :-)

4. Upgrades of the ingame system would be nice.

5. I think the shipstats have changed a bit too much. The effects of combat are unclear. The game has become a lot of gambling and guesswork. I want some 'skill' returned. Give out some info on combat and scoring. I can get on top because I've studied the formula's and know how to (ab-)use the system. That does not necessarily make me a good player.
Resource stealing is a bit too powerfull. Everything stolen over 10k resources/agent should be cut in half.
Score for normal attacks and defences have been limited. Resource stealing appears to be the only thing that has been overlooked.
Even though I might not make #1 in the end, I can severely damage a lot of good players and galaxies and mess up the top rankings for a while. It's not right that 1 player can have such an influence on the game.

I just hope PA can survive this harsh period.
I see Pa X improve all the time. I'd like to see communication about the changes improved though.
I like the fact the game has not been decided so far for the #1 gal and player. Things can still go in every direction. Alliances and alliance politics don't appear to be controling the game.

Most importantly: I'm having a lot of fun.

If there's enough time (a month?) and resources this game can get to a point where it's better than it ever was. From that moment on people will advise their friends to come and take a look. PA can then grow again. If only there is time.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 22:47   #43
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

by then most have quit :/

Retired
Unread 26 Sep 2003, 23:53   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
1. Well having no galaxy overview makes me overlook ingal incomming all the time. Something should be done to make sure idiots like me don't forget to check it.
A 'galaxy has incoming!' button would have worked nicely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
3. Scheduled launches is great. Too bad others schedule their launches as well, to attack us when people are fast asleep. :-)
The most active people in an alliance tend not to be the 'huge' players (they're either the ones with the most luck or other accounts), but the middling players, who need defense from attacks which just hit them by coincidence, rather than being a determined effort to take them down. The ones who offer the most defense, the ones who make up the backbone of the alliance. It is this group that scheduled launches (as things stand) hurt the most.

The problem is that scheduled launches are pointless, in an alliance context, and at worst hurt the alliance a great deal; this is because people should be awake at that time anyway, to respond to defense calls that the scheduled launches create. If people were only waking up to launch, then whilst its a good thing from a personal point of view, from an alliance point of view it sucks. And alliances is all we have left.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 19:45   #45
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

ABout the question whether we are likely to see a merge between PaX and old PA?
I think it is clear we have to allow back the much missed technology differences between the races.
Perhaps not entirely the way they were before (as they created some dangerous inbalances) but at least a lot more than now.
It will require a serious remake of combat, but I think we have known all along it would have to be done. (We even posted this in the beta forums on several occasions).

I am not all thrilled about re-adding ship-initiative, as it will make the new combat a lot more complex than the old one, with the new priorities, but that will be up to fudge to sort out (lucky me (: ).
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 17:29   #46
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
jeeze fudge does everything doesn't he
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 20:38   #47
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Quote:
Originally posted by King
jeeze fudge does everything doesn't he
Spinner makes the decisions !

Anyway, Spinner. Are there any chacne we will see other things being "redone" or "undone" like Eta and 1 tick attack def system?

And plz improve the galaxy forums?

anyway, good to see you might go "bacK" a bit, might consider playing next round

And btw, gimme Asteroidscans back! PLZPLZPLZ PRETTY(SPINNER IN DRESS) PLZ

Retired
Unread 1 Oct 2003, 01:01   #48
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute
If its a hybrid game and the numbers are 'decent' i will prob play as well

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote