User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 11:00   #1
MasterAir

MasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura about
An Album that most people don't own but should own...

I am looking to broaden my musical horizons. Name an album and describe it in one line.

I approve of the sticky music thread but wanted a look at people's reccomendations for something that is a bit different.

I'd better start.

Mogwai: Happy Songs for Happy People
Mellow, haunting and interesting electronicish noise. Beautiful.

(I am well aware that this thread could seem pretentious, but I hope it generates some interesting new music for my CD collection.)
MasterAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 11:20   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: An Album that most people don't own but should own...

De-loused in the comatorium - Mars Volta

Organised chaos, emotional and raw.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 11:25   #3
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Apollo 440 - Electro-glide in blue, american edition including Raw Power

4 Very good upbeat songs (Aint talking 'bout dub, Krupa, Carrera Rapida and Raw Power) and a few almost opera style songs like Stealth Mass in F#m and Electro-glide in blue.

Never heard anything like it, nor will I probably ever.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:23   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Roger waters - Amused to death

The guitar on It`s a Miracle is spinechillingly nice
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:27   #5
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide Machines - Destruction By Definition - Ska punk from the mid 90's with some incredible, really original sounding, and incredibly skillful drumming.
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:30   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Seriously dude use the GD Music Wiki. its built up over several months/years now
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:36   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In order of accessibility (most to least):

Modest Mouse - Moon and Antartica. I'm not sure this qualifies as something 'most people dont own', but they dont seem to be as popular in Britain as they are in America. This is still a fantastically awesome indie-rock album though, and they have a highly distinctive sound.

Iron and Wine - Woman King. Relaxing and beautiful, a mixture of traditional folk music and modern instrumentation

The Mars Volta - Deloused. As mentioned above. Get this instead of their second albumn (FtM) because that one is pretty poor.

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring. Exceptionally unconventional classical music, without descending into the pointless wankery of the later 20th century. Has more pure energy than any other piece of music I've encountered.

Animal Collective - Feels. Difficult to describe, because it sounds like nothing I've heard before
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:48   #8
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Animal Collective - Feels. Difficult to describe, because it sounds like nothing I've heard before
jerome sent it to you as well?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:05   #9
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I love Techno Classics (3 disk)
Great techno compilation album (doubt it many people here will like it though )

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:31   #10
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
he said something that sounds different, not all the tracks sound the same:|
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:33   #11
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
I only enjoy I <3 Techno when I am actually in Antwerp, in the sportpalace, visiting I <3 Techno.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:39   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

you're so hardcore
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:09   #13
OneColourRed

OneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring. Exceptionally unconventional classical music, without descending into the pointless wankery of the later 20th century. Has more pure energy than any other piece of music I've encountered.
I recently watched Stravinsky-Firebird by the BBC Scottish symphony orchestra which i have to say was excellent. I'll need to find this one as well.

Terris had some decent songs on their 'Learning to Let Go' album. They disappeared after that though(probably split up).

One band that many people seem not to have heard of but have brought out around 8 brilliant albums are Fugazi. IMO they are the best punk band that i have heard. Be warned though much of their material is very political so if that bothers you avoid them.
OneColourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:15   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As the best selling album in UK history sold less than 5 million copies, there's no actual difference between this topic and "Name albums you like". Which we already have a sticky for.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 21:35   #15
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
Apollo 440 - Electro-glide in blue, american edition including Raw Power

4 Very good upbeat songs (Aint talking 'bout dub, Krupa, Carrera Rapida and Raw Power) and a few almost opera style songs like Stealth Mass in F#m and Electro-glide in blue.

Never heard anything like it, nor will I probably ever.
THANKS
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 22:28   #16
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Tchaikovsky - Symphony #4 - Absolutly devine.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 22:48   #17
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

an easy option would be Broken Social Scene - S/T

in all honesty, that album is one of the best i've ever come across. and i do really mean the words "ever", it's just so intricately brilliant. indie-pop/rock at it's VERY best. the beautiful melodies & unbelievably poppy parts are well hidden underneath walls of dense noise, you need several HUNDRED listens before your able to truly appreciate the depth of it's magnificence.

another one that comes to mind is: Help! She Can't Swim - Fashionista Super Dance Troupe
this one will not be for everyone, the 2 vocalists are fairly high-pitched and almost screechy in places but the witty lyrics & exquisitely pacy funk-filled tracks in the songs make up for the irritations in the female vocalist (i personally adore the male vocalist.)

i've probably got a lot more to add to this thread but frankly, my mind has been exhausted as of late so i won't bother to think about it.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 22:50   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Tchaikovsky - Symphony #4 - Absolutly devine.
If we're going for classical music, then I advise Lohengrin, by my (currently) great friend Richard Wagner.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 23:25   #19
Miliukov

Miliukov is infamous around these partsMiliukov is infamous around these parts

In with Dvorak. 8th and 9th symphonies in particularly, and I also rather enjoyed Rusalka.
Miliukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 00:22   #20
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if its been mentioned around here, but doe's anyone use www.pandora.com for new music suggestions?
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 00:51   #21
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

I do, and i've gotten a few things off it

What do you mean btw wu_trax by : THANKS?
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 01:12   #22
BlacK_Bengudo
Slap Machine

BlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura about

Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth, Travelling without moving (Funk, Black music, Acid Jazz)

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon, The Division Bell (Progressive)

Os Mutantes - Tudo que foi feito pelo sol (Progressive)

Extraction - (Greg Howe, Dennis Chambers, Victor Wooten / Fusion)
BlacK_Bengudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 11:12   #23
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I do, and i've gotten a few things off it

What do you mean btw wu_trax by : THANKS?
i completly forgot about Apollo 440. i heared some of their stuff a long long time ago, but never downloaded anything until you mentioned them
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 11:32   #24
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
he said something that sounds different, not all the tracks sound the same:|
I don't judge your musicstyle, you don't judge mine mkay?
It's a general misconception that all techno tracks sound the same, i have a nice collection of techno songs & i can personally guarantee you that they don't all sound the same.
Especially not on that compilation disk as it is the best over 10-years of I <3 Techno and the music has evolved alot in 10 years.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 11:33   #25
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

thats what forums are for, a difference of opinion, if i have one ill state it ty

edit: oh and judge my music taste all you want, cos to be honest its ****ing awesome
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 12:03   #26
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you like dance/electronica, then "Way Out West - Don't Look Now" is quite sublime.

Even if you only listen to 'Everyday', 'Fear' and 'Killa', it'll still make for a utterly wonderful experience.

WOW used to be a bit hardcore and hire singers by track, they've now got their own singer on board and it makes a huge difference.
If you want history, look for 'Domination', one of my favourites from years past, and 'The Gift'. Both trance classics.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 12:09   #27
Alki
Drink is Good

oh you dont own my compelation, but you should
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 14:09   #28
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I like Antony and the Johnsons, its a little whiny but I enjoy it
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote