User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Apr 2005, 14:41   #1
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

kamikaze69 is an unknown quantity at this point
[Discuss] Security Engineering rev reqd???

I had this idea while I was doing a covert op myself. How is it that I Zik (myself) with 20% sec centres (overkill) and 1st level Security Engineering cannot break a Xan with absolutely nothing in the way of defense bar probably engineering.

Personally, it's an area that you love to hate, whether you are on the recieving end, or the giving end. People hate it because they think it's not supposed to be a part of the game, to those of you who think like that, you are not alone, and welcome your objections to the following arguement. There are also people that hate it because it is absolutely impossible to be successful at it, to those of you who think this way also, I am totally on your side and welcome your support with this new idea (I know I am going to need it)

The Math:

Zik/Cat (best races at covert opping)
1st lvl Security (best bonuses offered) <--------note, this value has no significance at this stage
Random val(25) (assume max)
Total = 120

vs

Ter/Xan/Cat/Zik (all races get the same alertness lvls)
2nd lvl Security
No Sec Centres
Total = 120

I don't get that myself, that is hardly NO defense versus the BEST offense that this game has to provide as an attacker, and because of the equal value is score it will ALWAYS fail!!! Some revision needs to be called for there.

Now, I notice that there is text in the Engineering page that Sec Engineering provides a stealth bonus??? I am sorry, I don't see that bonus *tick* OH, there it is!!! It's a stealth regen bonus. How nice. But that isn't going to help me become a good covert opper. I think Securtiy Engineering should offer a stealth maximum bonus, exactly as it says in the engineering page, a 15% bonus can be now applied to my calcs and you will still see that it is possible to defend from those hostile covert oppers that some players out there don't like!!!

The NEW Math:

Zik/Cat
1st lvl Security
Random val(25)
Total = 135

vs

Xan/Ter/Cat/Zik
2nd lvl Security
5% Sec Centres
Total = 135

Now, hold on............is that still fair? you tell me, we can play around with these figures all day if you want, it's not going to be good enough until I see that a Zik covert opper can break par versus the ultimate defense ie. needing the above in defense but with 15% sec centres.

Perhaps some more revision is required across the board in the "concavity" of the bonuses given by engineering ie.

Security Engineering bonuses
Stealth Alertness
1st 25 30
2nd 15 15
3rd 10 5

I don't know, but I thin for R14, could this be a good idea!?
kamikaze69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2005, 08:55   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Security Engineering rev reqd???

Hmm

I am not sure about your numbers, but i am a Xan, and this is my security covert ops atm:
Code:
Current Alert Level : Excellent (92)
Engineering First Priority Mining
Engineering Second Priority Security
Engineering Third Priority Production
Security Centre (12%)
So, i dont think your numbers are adding up. I know that my alertness is crap but - according to your calcs - i should have something in the region of 120 and not 92. So, its not as invincible as it seems?

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 30 Apr 2005 at 08:57. Reason: w00t broken link, b0rked formatting...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2005, 02:26   #3
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

On the Covert ops screen, it tells you you BASE stealth and BASE alertness, your security engineering AND your Security Centres will NOT show up of the values that your Covert Ops page. The Calculation happens in the background, but since you have had those changes, I would imagine that NO covert ops have been performed on your Planet or they have failed because you have too much modified alertness.
Unread 1 May 2005, 02:54   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze69
On the Covert ops screen, it tells you you BASE stealth and BASE alertness, your security engineering AND your Security Centres will NOT show up of the values that your Covert Ops page. The Calculation happens in the background, but since you have had those changes, I would imagine that NO covert ops have been performed on your Planet or they have failed because you have too much modified alertness.
Hmm, i thought that the manual meant that the bonuses from sec centres and engineering were already incorporated into the value, and not shown seperately - like a bonus field as per the Mining page for example.

In that case, my security is rather high. Strange how people still manage to get through - hey :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 02:54   #5
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

On the otherside of the coin tho, you have me. I have already told you what I have in the way of Security related modifications, and yet I can't even break a 40% success rate!!!

I have wasted SO much in the way of resources to experiment with the system but it hasn't really paid off. Suggestions would be nice.

As for your assumption that your security is rather high, I must admit, that is rather much the point. Because of the way it is programmed atm it will always be rather high, and brings be back to the topic of debate, that Security Engineering requires revision.
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 15:50   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

covert ops do need a bit of an overhaul

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote