User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 16 Apr 2003, 17:21   #1
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

N0VA is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask yourself why you are playing this game

I am always astounded when I come on these boards. All that I see is hatred. You hate who you attacked because they attacked you, and must have cheated at some point - because clearly they could not do better than you without cheating. You hate who is attacking you, because they are making you stay up late at night, will hurt everything you've worked for all round, and because they represent all that is evil.

The reason that I ask you all to consider your motivations for playing is that this game is really getting sick (and has been for awhile now). People resort to dos attacking, breaking any rule they can get away with (and some they cannot) in order to get ahead. But most sickeningly - whether you win or lose, you hate everyone else.

Picture a school setting with a bunch of children sitting around and playing the classic game "Trouble". Little Billy throws sand in Janey's eyes, so she cannot see what she is doing. Marcus breaks Tommy's hand so he can no longer press the pop-o-matic bubble. Suzy spends her time calling the other kids fat and ugly, while Bobby is always running to the teacher whining that there has to be cheating going on since he is losing.

The next time someone has a well planned attack on your alliance and emerges victorious, recognize what they achieved. If you say anything about it, let it be beneficial - not an attempt to bury their successes in other failures. The next time an attack of yours goes poorly, don't blame it on bot use or multi-ing - that is what the report utility is for.

Let's just try to finish round 9 with some dignity. There are two fairly evenly matched groups in the midst of a war, each one gaining ground and losing ground. Let's applaud each other for successes, and actually enjoy the remainder of the round.

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<RIT> yeh but It would rawk if you dreamt about lesbian orgies
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
N0VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 17:37   #2
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Where's the fun in that?
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 17:40   #3
Hardin

Hardin is an unknown quantity at this point
Can we group hug too?

R9.5 - ? - *NONE* - Lost Avengers returns!!!
R9 - 4:10:5 - *OLYMPIANS* - I hate NARWEET *Boohoo*...
R8 - 26:2:1 - *TITANS* - We wuz robbed - Hidden Dragons foeva!!!
R7 - 5:20:3 - *NONE* - Owners of C5 - Creation of Lost Avengers - PA's most leet BG
R5 - C28 - *ELYSIUM* - Lo Friederich, Hardcastle, CBK and all...
R4 - ? - *NONE* - Hapless noobie
R3 - ? - *NONE* - Hopeless noobie
Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 17:47   #4
Urkki

Urkki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hardin
Can we group hug too?
And then groupsex after some hugging?

Please?
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 18:19   #5
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
I have to disagree, I was talking to an Eclipse guy yesterday and we were having a conversation (I've never met him before) and there was no hatred at all, just general talking.

and my motivation for playing is that I cant quit.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 18:21   #6
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
im sitting here at TG with several of the 'enemy soldiers', and were having a good time tbh.

p.a is and will b teh number 1 game
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 18:23   #7
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough
easy there's an alliance u 'hate', hmm not call it hate just call it dislike, and there's one u like. u fight etc this is a 100% war game, hating/fighting/tactics is all part of game

it's right that that keeps me playing
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 18:27   #8
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
some people enjoy hating other people

this is the perfect game for them

personally i remember the old days where you could chat to your attacker, no hard feelings etc while he was incoming. these days the buggers usually just ignore you. the only time an attack spoke to me was Dreadnaught and that was only cos he was tyring to scare me into running... (didn't work)
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 18:55   #9
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Community, although i HATE AND DESTEST MOST, so a more refiend answer would be the "group" that i "hang/play" the game with.

-Necro
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:14   #10
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
I think the sooner we treat each other like people playing a game together, the sooner this game will be fun again. We should all be able to shake hands after a round. And then go into the next round just looking to have fun. That would solve alot of ills with the game in itself. I realize thats a pipe dream, but dreams can sometimes be worth something.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:19   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I think the sooner we treat each other like people playing a game together, the sooner this game will be fun again. We should all be able to shake hands after a round. And then go into the next round just looking to have fun. That would solve alot of ills with the game in itself. I realize thats a pipe dream, but dreams can sometimes be worth something.

Fury stole my roids six rounds ago and I'm still bitter about it! One does find it hard to believe how many people can get so emotionally immersed in what remains a game. Personally I think it's something to do with the basic nature of the game. A lot of the people playing PA don't imagine others to be actual normal people, or at least that's the overall impression given off.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:20   #12
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
You might want to start with yourself. I'm not saying you don't treat it as a game, but you have an uncanny ability to bring it out in others.

Jester
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:25   #13
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
You might want to start with yourself. I'm not saying you don't treat it as a game, but you have an uncanny ability to bring it out in others.

Jester
I think you will find that peoplse reactions to me have alot more to do with what they think of me/my allaince/etc than it has to do with what I write. Most of the time people assume ive said something I havent. I think this round is funny cause I havent even been pushing eclipse much at all. Im not as involved with them as I was with Fury.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:33   #14
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I think you will find that peoplse reactions to me have alot more to do with what they think of me/my allaince/etc than it has to do with what I write. Most of the time people assume ive said something I havent. I think this round is funny cause I havent even been pushing eclipse much at all. Im not as involved with them as I was with Fury.
==> you react to their reaction the same way as they react to what you've write (if you understand..?)

than we have a natural "devilcircle"

Come on Competition without hate/dislike is boring...

-Lupin

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:54   #15
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
==> you react to their reaction the same way as they react to what you've write (if you understand..?)

than we have a natural "devilcircle"

Come on Competition without hate/dislike is boring...

-Lupin
I dont hate any alliance in this game. I dont think people = alliances. I dont think that anyone in this game is evil, or that any group of people is worse for this game than any other group.

Wrong. Competition without hate/dislike is 100% better than competition with it. We arent rooting for sports teams here, we are the competitors. When watching a game hating can be fun, cause it doesnt sour the actual game. We are the game. We need to recognize that we are all in this together. We are just students/professionals/husbands/wives/sons/daughters playing a computer game for fun. The constant villianizing, dehumanizing, grudge making and general bad feelings around this game dont make it more fun to play.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 20:19   #16
Sad
TeamPies

Sad will become famous soon enoughSad will become famous soon enough
Hate is a big word
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 20:31   #17
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
I think alot of people go into certain situations (on ad especially) roleplaying it, then somewhere along the lines it's not roleplaying anymore and people just lose themselves in their emotions.

on a bit of a related note.. A thread I created a while back, I was incredibly harsh on some people, namely the_fish. I hope he understands I was just being a spaz for roleplaying's sake and am really quite approachable most of the time.

It's quite fun to excersize your emotions on here in a persona perhaps not quite yours'. Here it's percieved that you can get away with things you wouldn't be able to in a normal setting, but I think we should all remember that everyone deserves a certain amount of respect and we should make an effort to not always troll and degrade threads into hostility.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 20:48   #18
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sad
Hate is a big word
no, encyclopedia is a big word, "hate" is but 4 letters hehe ..

*fluffles sad
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 20:50   #19
Saitam
Tribologist

Saitam is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't it KW that keeps claiming nothing this is real?
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 21:19   #20
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Hate? *lol* My biggest and most true friend in PA is on the "other side". Most ppl I am friend with outside my own ally are in "enemy" allies.
Hate makes your mind working inefficient.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 21:34   #21
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by Lerxst
Hate? *lol* My biggest and most true friend in PA is on the "other side". Most ppl I am friend with outside my own ally are in "enemy" allies.
Hate makes your mind working inefficient.
I firmly believe that this game would be much much more fun if it was played as a political and tactical stretegy game. Where loyalty, grudgest, anger, and other emotions were left at the door to an extent. It would cut down on alot of the negative aspects of the game without us having to try and hinder the competition of the game.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 21:47   #22
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I firmly believe that this game would be much much more fun if it was played as a political and tactical stretegy game. Where loyalty, grudgest, anger, and other emotions were left at the door to an extent. It would cut down on alot of the negative aspects of the game without us having to try and hinder the competition of the game.
Agreed. If people analyzed how their enemies are beating them instead of passing it off as cheating or looking for ways to belittle the others victories, I think it would be a much more enjoyable game for all.

I also think that Power Block mentality stems a lot from hatred. The purpose of a Power Block is not to win, but to prevent someone else from winning. If people had a meaningful victory as their goal, they would seek minimum winning coalitions instead of behemoth power blocks.

I understand that it is a slippery slope situation as soon as any form of blocking occurs - but if as long as hc's keep the goal at meaningful victories instead of fear of loss, then it should bring an element of fun back into the game.

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 22:03   #23
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Saitam
Isn't it KW that keeps claiming nothing this is real?

~"What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see...then real is simply ... electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 22:03   #24
K-W
Bored

If allaiances cared more about winning a tactical war, and less about being loyal to friends and killing enemies, blocks wouldnt be so bad, as theyd never be too secure just temporary naps for strategic positioning. As much as we respect loyal allainces, they are a big reason powerblocks act how they act, right along with hatred. They are the duo of polorization. A loyal block is really just one giant allaince.

But there are two sides to this. One of the main reasons allainces are loyal is because of the anger and hatred against backstabbers. We as a community prize loyalty, punish backstabbers and condone hatred.

These are the three most powerful forces in causing large cohesive powerblocks.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 22:06   #25
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Re: Ask yourself why you are playing this game

Quote:
Originally posted by N0VA
Let's applaud each other for successes, and actually enjoy the remainder of the round.
NO !
Unread 17 Apr 2003, 00:52   #26
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
if you are all time happy than you dont know how to compute happiness..

-Lupin

Unread 23 Apr 2003, 01:26   #27
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I think the sooner we treat each other like people playing a game together, the sooner this game will be fun again.
Maybe you should start by treating people as equals and not as if you just wiped them off the bottom of your shoe.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 09:11   #28
Lyam
filmjölk

Lyam is an unknown quantity at this point
m00

This is "just" a game... there no reason not to treat people with respect... mmkay
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 13:07   #29
WipeOut
Playboy

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Must be an odd little world you live in.
I am inclined to agree with Scouse on this one, while we are all a bit cheeky when posting on these forums, you certainly are one of those that in my opinion cross the line between 'being cheeky' and 'getting personally insulting'.

You are sadly not the only one though.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 13:19   #30
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Ask yourself why you are playing this game

Quote:
Ask yourself why you are playing this game
Why am I playing this game?
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 13:27   #31
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by WipeOut
I am inclined to agree with Scouse on this one, while we are all a bit cheeky when posting on these forums, you certainly are one of those that in my opinion cross the line between 'being cheeky' and 'getting personally insulting'.

You are sadly not the only one though.
Sure I insult people who insult me, or who troll. I dont just sit around flaming people.

Meanwhile I dont sit around villinizing other people and trying use hatred as a political tool. I just toss insults into posts sometimes. Comparing the two is rediculous. Flaming on AD is not even close to the same level as feuling hatred of an entire alliance.

But if it really bothers you I can tone it down.

Last edited by K-W; 23 Apr 2003 at 13:34.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 13:29   #32
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
i only play cause ppl ask me too, but this was last round for me...

:e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick:
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:19   #33
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Actually I asked myself, and the answer came surpricingly fast.. I don't know.. It is boring, keeps me awake at nights when I should be sleeping. Hmm.. I think I'll just quit.. 3 years should be enough I think..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 20:33   #34
WipeOut
Playboy

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Sure I insult people who insult me, or who troll. I dont just sit around flaming people.

Meanwhile I dont sit around villinizing other people and trying use hatred as a political tool. I just toss insults into posts sometimes. Comparing the two is rediculous. Flaming on AD is not even close to the same level as feuling hatred of an entire alliance.

Most do not use hatred as a political tool, they use tools like misleading information, propaganda and twisted facts.

'Hatred' is something which in my opinion should be alien in an online game, and in a community like this.

Quote:
But if it really bothers you I can tone it down.

It does not bother me personally, but I could imagine others being bothered by it. I personally think that 'insults' are often used when people's backs face the wall, and they have nothing else sensible to reply with. In my opinion, you make yourself look weak by posting like that, whereas I am positive that you could respond more effectively to certain posting by counter-arguments instead of insuts.

But hey, do not bother, I am not AD's 'messiah of peace'.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 20:59   #35
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Most do not use hatred as a political tool, they use tools like misleading information, propaganda and twisted facts.

'Hatred' is something which in my opinion should be alien in an online game, and in a community like this.
Your just plain wrong. People have been cultivating hatred of Fury and Legion, and to some extent nos for rounds and rounds in order to build coalitions against them. Or to keep others from allying them. Or to maneuvere in some way politically. It is that that hurts the game because it causes polarization and puts a big clog in the politics and helps cause stagnation.

Nothing I could say about someone on AD could possibly do that.

I agree hatred shouldnt have a place here.

Quote:

It does not bother me personally, but I could imagine others being bothered by it. I personally think that 'insults' are often used when people's backs face the wall, and they have nothing else sensible to reply with. In my opinion, you make yourself look weak by posting like that, whereas I am positive that you could respond more effectively to certain posting by counter-arguments instead of insuts.

But hey, do not bother, I am not AD's 'messiah of peace'.
I very very rarely post insults alone. Most of my posts do not even contain insults.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 21:14   #36
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

It is also important to note that Fury and Legion helped to cultivate hatred against them. For multiple rounds, they reveled in the fact that they were the bad guys of Planetarion. They were very elitist yet very good, and let everyone be aware of both facts.

<Nova> that would suck
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 04:28   #37
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
It is also important to note that Fury and Legion helped to cultivate hatred against them. For multiple rounds, they reveled in the fact that they were the bad guys of Planetarion. They were very elitist yet very good, and let everyone be aware of both facts.
For example Zh|l's thread about 48:4...
also it may was fun that didnt make it better

but if you are against hatred/dislike you first should analyse the root of this problem and i think posts like "i'm/my alliance is 10 times better than yours etc.." could be a reason. i dont know if that exactly is the root...

-Lupin

Unread 25 Apr 2003, 04:42   #38
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

remember this is a war game and hate is a big motivation to kill which make it to a(n) (important) "political weapon"..., (if you play it the political/tactical strategic way)

i still don't get it why hate/dislike make PA in a way negative, especially because hate and fun are very near together
someone want to enlighten me?

-Lupin

Unread 27 Apr 2003, 04:32   #39
joaraddam
Baka desu

joaraddam is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Lerxst
Hate? *lol* My biggest and most true friend in PA is on the "other side".
:-(

I'm not even playing this round.

That aside, I think PA makes for an excellent preparation for a political carreer. Mark my words, the next World War will be fought because some people still are bitter that 'Legion stole their roids in Round 3'.