User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Mar 2004, 21:33   #1
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
posting a thread about new computers and is this a good price because i need a new co

mputer.

P4 3.02Ghz w/HT
1Gb DDR
120Gb HDD
4x DVD drive
Radeon 9800XT
17" Black TFT
XP Pro
Motherboard, Wiring, Case, Power Supply etc

for £800
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2004, 21:39   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: posting a thread about new computers and is this a good price because i need a new co

You'll be lucky
[edit]

Especially bearing in mind that the processor, the graphics card and the monitor (assuming you want a reasonable one) would come to about £800 on their own.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:10   #3
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Re: posting a thread about new computers and is this a good price because i need a new co

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Especially bearing in mind that the processor, the graphics card and the monitor (assuming you want a reasonable one) would come to about £800 on their own.
which means the rest is cheap arse stuff
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:15   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When you say 4x DVD drive, are we talking DVDR/RW here?
You'd be hard pressed to find a DVD-ROM that's under 16x these days.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:21   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
which means the rest is cheap arse stuff
What's the point of having the best graphics card currently in existance if you have a crappy mobo and ram?
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:28   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
mputer.

P4 3.02Ghz w/HT
1Gb DDR
120Gb HDD
4x DVD drive
Radeon 9800XT
17" Black TFT
XP Pro
Motherboard, Wiring, Case, Power Supply etc

for £800
Are you building it yourself or prebuilt? In either case can you give us more details, mobo model, ram speed/make, HDD make etc...

Do you mean 3.20ghz? or 3.06Ghz or 3.0ghz?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:37   #7
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

The HD is 5400 RPM proably. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 00:55   #8
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
When you say 4x DVD drive, are we talking DVDR/RW here?
You'd be hard pressed to find a DVD-ROM that's under 16x these days.
its to complement my existing DVD Writer

anyway, i don't know much of the technical details but i trust the guy building it not to give me something shit.

and luckeh, 3.02 with hyperthreading.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 01:08   #9
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What's the point of having the best graphics card currently in existance if you have a crappy mobo and ram?
exactly my point
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 01:26   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

mobo is more important than anything else.

this is the judgement of JJ

supreme counsiler of Computer shit
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 01:45   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
its to complement my existing DVD Writer

anyway, i don't know much of the technical details but i trust the guy building it not to give me something shit.

and luckeh, 3.02 with hyperthreading.
no such thing, only 3.0, 3.06 and 3.2 Ghz (soon to be 3.4ghz) P4 exist in the region of the 3ghz.

btw, which person building it? to me he's cutting corners somewhere since he's putting together for so cheap and surely he's looking to make a profit aswell?

i'm assuming he's supplying a case aswell? no speakers though right?
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 02:56   #12
BlacK_Bengudo
Slap Machine

BlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
The HD is 5400 RPM proably. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
yes, probably...
BlacK_Bengudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 03:11   #13
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You didnt include mouse/keyboard, so thatll be another 100 or so on the price.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 03:47   #14
Intrepid00

Is your keyboard and mouse gold plated and coved in diamonds?
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 04:17   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The keyboard and mouse, along with the monitor, are probably the most important parts of a normal computer (ie not firewall/workstation/server or anything like that), since youre going to be using them whenever you wish to interact with your machine.

Whats the point in buying an expensive computer then ruining the experience of using it because you have to use a shitty $10 mouse or whatever? A decent mouse/keyboard combo will cost around 100 pound, probably slightly less. A good mouse is 30 pound minimum, and decent keyboards start around the 25 mark.

You should be using something like that for your mouse (or if you want to play FPS games, one of these), and a decent keyboard. Maybe 100 pound was an exaggeration, but youre still looking at around 70-90. If youre paying 1000 pound or so for a computer, why ruin everything by being too cheap to buy decent peripherals? Drop your processor speed if you cant afford it - the difference between a good and an average mouse is far more noticable then the difference between a 2.6ghz and a 3.2ghz CPU. It really comes down to whether you want to actually be good at games, or just have them look pretty.

Last edited by Nodrog; 11 Mar 2004 at 04:35.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 08:54   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I use the Microsoft Intellimouse/Microsoft Media Keyboard combo, and that only cost about £60-70

[edit]

You don't actually have to drop the processor speed to make it cheaper.

Get a Barton 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ (Which can be done quickly, easily and safely), and get a Radeon 9800 Pro instead of XT, which all in all will save you about £100-200 on just those two components, with no noticable loss in speed.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 11 Mar 2004 at 08:59.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 11:34   #17
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

get a dell
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 12:13   #18
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
I use the Microsoft Intellimouse/Microsoft Media Keyboard combo, and that only cost about £60-70

[edit]

You don't actually have to drop the processor speed to make it cheaper.

Get a Barton 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ (Which can be done quickly, easily and safely), and get a Radeon 9800 Pro instead of XT, which all in all will save you about £100-200 on just those two components, with no noticable loss in speed.
I vote this too,

I use an Intellimouse and MS Internet Keyboard, both are very cheap and do the job well, also optical mice are far over-rated, but debateable.

You could keep the CPU as is, or even drop to a P4 2.8C, but there is no real need for an XT apart from bragging rights, which just turns you into some sort of geek that has no clue
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 12:40   #19
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I bought a keyboard for £3...

That was fine.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 14:15   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've got a wireless keyboard + mouse combo thingy here, it's pretty good.

Just a note, if you go for anything wireless DO NOT buy IR (InfraRed) wireless gear - the reciever has to be within line of sight of the equipment for it to work.
Get RF gear (Radio Frequency - also advertised as 2.4Ghz wireless sometimes cos that's the wavelength it operates on). That will happily operate with the reciever tucked away under the desk and you in a chair on the other side of the room.
If you're feeling really fancy you could get BlueTooth kit but then you need to buy a bluetooth module for your PC, whereas RF stuff just comes with it's own reciever.

Choices choices...
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 15:49   #21
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
The keyboard and mouse, along with the monitor, are probably the most important ....
I would go for the Logitech 500 MX, if you are a gamer, the cordless ones are shit tbh.
Also like L said, the Radeon 9800 PRO, will be good enuf for now....and buy some decent RAM pls its all that matters!
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 17:58   #22
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

the RAM Brand is 'Kingston'

you;'re quite right, it's 3.06, sorry, im an idiot

i already have decent keyboard/mouse; we have plenty of okish components lying around so ill just stay with the wirelessness

i dont really understand motherboards and suchlike but when i asked he explained it and someone else who does understand motherboards said it was good so i'll trust them. i remember him saying it has 5 PCI slots, is that good?

ps the DVD drive is 48X

and he said that if i go with an equivalent graphics card it would cost 850 quid instead but hey

it doesn't come with the case because im going to buy a cool custom case at a computer fair instead but it does come with all the stuff to go inside it

i really envy the guy doing this because he actually makes about 50k a year building/selling computers and i dont know how seeing as they're like cheaper than all the components cost

but hey
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 19:33   #23
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

would be good if you can get the mobo model
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 19:41   #24
Intrepid00

Quote:
the RAM Brand is 'Kingston'

you;'re quite right, it's 3.06, sorry, im an idiot

i already have decent keyboard/mouse; we have plenty of okish components lying around so ill just stay with the wirelessness

i dont really understand motherboards and suchlike but when i asked he explained it and someone else who does understand motherboards said it was good so i'll trust them. i remember him saying it has 5 PCI slots, is that good?

ps the DVD drive is 48X

and he said that if i go with an equivalent graphics card it would cost 850 quid instead but hey

it doesn't come with the case because im going to buy a cool custom case at a computer fair instead but it does come with all the stuff to go inside it

i really envy the guy doing this because he actually makes about 50k a year building/selling computers and i dont know how seeing as they're like cheaper than all the components cost

but hey
The computer fair use to be cool around me, then it became overloaded with craptastic vendors selling shitty hardware and mobile phone accesorrys.

BTW, Goodluck with the ricing up of your computer. I should increase the speed 10 fold.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 01:05   #25
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
would be good if you can get the mobo model
QDI or somesuch

although he said it would only be a fwe quid more for something which was better in an unspecific way
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 01:38   #26
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I built a computer similar, but with more ram, hd, and a few other bits for £2100
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 08:28   #27
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Where's the floppy drive??
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 09:42   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Where's the floppy drive??
Computers have floppy drives?
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 09:52   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A floppy drive is useful to have access to, just in case, but I wouldn't want to ruin a shiny new computer with one.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 17:41   #30
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Bah. If there's no floppy drive how do you hope to boot into (pure) DOS and play cool old games?
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 18:02   #31
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

that's what the 286 is for!
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 18:26   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Bah. If there's no floppy drive how do you hope to boot into (pure) DOS and play cool old games?
You can boot off USB Pen Drives, although I've never tried installing DOS on one.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 20:16   #33
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I have, it works.
However, your pc's bios has to support it and you need some software to get the image in a bootable form onto the flash memory.