User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:01   #1
FryingDutch.net

Goodbye to the TFD Thread

When you are reading this, the infamous TFD thread will no longer exist. With the introduction of a new Planetarion and a new set of forums coming soon, it's end has been reached. We have decided to end the
TFD thread's existence, as it deserved to pass at the hands of those who have kept it going for all this
time.

From the TFD Thread spammers,

-Goodbye.

P.S. It went out with one final bang

vBulletin Message
The Forums are down, due to the need to clean up the Database after the deletion of the TFD thread
Sorry for the incovinience
-Karm

Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:02   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The TFD Thread. A legend on the PA forums with only the TC (The Collective) thread and the 'Do battleships have toilets' discussion to stand besides it in the triumvirate of the large threads on the PA forums. The subject of discussion, frustration, admiration and annoyance among both moderators and users.

In 2000, during round 1 of Planetarion, someone came to the forums and created an account called 'Henk'. He made one single post on Alliance Discussions that had an impact on the forums all through the 3 years of Planetarion. It was a post entitled !_=-FryingDutch.net-=_! and in it he stated how TFD (The Frying Dutchmen) was a rocking alliance, and how everyone should join it. The first page consisted of some commentary on it, but it soon turned into a conversational topic between two other TFD members, namely Lyon and Basal, with the occasional interruption of another TFD member finding their way onto the boards. The thread continued with the support of then moderator MikeUK who, despite not speaking any Dutch, still managed to join in the conversation regularly. As the thread started to approach 1k posts, it was already a well-established and considerably sized topic on the forums.

Two other threads were started during those days that rivalled the TFD thread for the position of largest thread on the forums - the TC thread and the Toilets thread. Especially the TC thread did well, and with having a lot more people spamming it and interest in the TFD thread waning, it took over the crown as being the largest post. With MikeUK no longer being a moderator, and his position as TFD thread guardian taken over by Shadow1980, and Lyon and Basal posting less frequently, it seemed the TFD thread was dying a peaceful death, more and more often going to the backpages only to be revived for a quick post now and then.

That changed when a new group of people "discovered" the thread, namely mpr0733, HRS, Zapman and myself. Posting picked up, and once again the TFD thread cruised the front page of Alliance Discussions. It took ground on the TC and Toilet threads fast, especially when the latter two were finally closed. At this point I can only speculate to the reasons why the TFD thread survived, but having a guardian moderator, it pulled through those days. We kept on posting away on it, aiming for that far-away, elusive 10.000 post count mark. Then disaster struck. The TFD thread was just below the summit of that mountain, in sight of that mark we had spammed long and hard for, we were at 9.970 posts (or thereabouts) when Fudge decided to purge the forums of all old posts. The purge scourged the forums and struck into the TFD thread hard - the first 6200 posts were wiped. All memory of Henk, Lyon, Basal and MikeUK disappeared from the face of the PA forums forever.

We decided to hang on, however, and decided that we were going to make it. The road wasn't easy. When Shadow1980 quit as a moderator, he felt that there was no longer anyone to watch over the thread and his final act as moderator was to close the thread. At that point we approached JammyJim, who had then replaced Messiah as forum admin, and pleaded our case. It was discussed at the highest levels, and the verdict was that we were allowed to continue. The thread was open. Once again we were on our way, and once again the thread was closed. Several months later people started suddenly posting threads in all languages, complaining about the TFD thread disobeying the language rule. This time, a thread was opened asking the users about whether the thread should allow to continue or not - an overwhelming majority opted to keep this relic where it belonged, and Zeus himself granted the thread exception from the language rule, based on it's ancient heritage and the fact that it was around even before the language rule itself was created.

We resumed our posting, and after many more months of enjoying a small dutch haven on the PA forums, the 10.000 mark was finally reached. A shared account named !_=-FryingDutch.net-=_! created the very first official 10.000th post on any thread on the PA forums. Now, at roughly 11.000 posts, or 17.200 in truth, the TFD thread has at long last come to it's end. The forums on which it resided for so long, are being replaced by a new set. A net set of forums for a new Planetarion, a world in which there is no place for an ancient relic like the TFD thread. To quote Tolkien: "All things will fade and must sooner or later pass from existence."

By the time you read this, the TFD thread will no longer exist. Only the memory of it remains - one that can not lightly be forgotten by any who have used the Planetarion Forums over the past three years. Thank you, goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

Very special thanks to:
Henk, MikeUK, Shadow1980, Messiah, JammyJim, Zeus, Lyon, Basal, mpr0733, HRS, Zapman, without any of whom the thread would not exist today.

Special thanks to:
All the PD/AD mods and admins for resisting the urge to delete the thread, everyone who has ever posted on the TFD thread, be it in support, in admiration or in contempt, the guys from the TC thread, the guys from the Toilets thread and all the GD guys who created short-lived attempts to outgrow the TFD thread.

And last but not least, all those who voted in support of the thread when the issue was brought to the boards

-Leshy
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:08   #3
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough
We'll all miss the TFD-thread spammers....
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:26   #4
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
cheers to the tfd spammers
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:32   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Question

Just out of curiosity, why did they delete it now when they're going to nuke everything soon anyway?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:37   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
/me bets there will be another thread in the Pa X forums that will continue the fryingdutch.net thread.

Good things never die.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:50   #7
Karmulian

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Just out of curiosity, why did they delete it now when they're going to nuke everything soon anyway?
tbh i'm not really sure other than i was asked to delete it
and i like excuses for closing the forums

that and the pleasure i got from deleting the thread

Unread 9 Aug 2003, 19:55   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Karmulian
I'm comforted that you're in some position of authority.
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 20:33   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
tbh i'm not really sure other than i was asked to delete it
and i like excuses for closing the forums

Do you work in my company's IS department by any chance?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 21:46   #10
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

You are pure evil

BTW I suppose our postcounts have been lowered "a bit " too since it was deleted? Lol bye bye 900 posts
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 21:48   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
We wanted to end the thread's existence ourselves, rather than have it disappear with the forums. Besides, it was an excuse to post this thread
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 22:44   #12
HRS
TFD forever

HRS is an unknown quantity at this point
So… after more than 3 years and 16,000 (over 3000 from little me) posts this topic finally reaches it’s end.We were purged once, closed twice and moved... ehm.. a lot of times and we survived it all, but with the new forum coming in we decided to keep the honour to ourselves.

Our topic was unique because it was dutch and because it wasn’t (all) spam. I can remember interesting discussions about politics, history, soccer, reallife and sometimes even about TFD or PA!

To be honest i have no f*cking idea what to say now that this work of art is finally closed, it was a great topic and since i met some weird guy called MPR0733 in this topic back in round 2 pirate.planetarion.com was the first site i opened when i connected to the big bad internet, guess that’s over now:/

Many thanks to our “competitors” of the Olmit topic (shouldn’t have been closed) the TC topic and the IPC topic back in round 2 I also want to thank Henk for starting the topic back in may 2000 and MikeUK, Camelknight, Martok, Cliff, Basal, Lyon, Shadow1980, Killghost, Jammyjim, Spinner, Miereneuker, TFD and many others for posting in this topic or for allowing it

And offcourse special thanks to Leshy, Zapman and MPR0733. You guys pretty much made this topic to what it is now.. or what it was.. or something Well done and keep visiting our channel

Goodbye

HRS

PS. someone tell me if some weirdo ever makes more than 3000 posts in topic

<mpr0733> never underestimate the speed of a fryingdutch thread spammer

<Zapman> ja ik wil hrs stalken, natuurlijk, logisch
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 23:00   #13
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Did anyone save the excact postcounts in that thread since the last purge anyways?
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 00:02   #14
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
I wonder how long until we have 'save the Goodbye to the TFD thread' threads.
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 00:32   #15
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Banned
I wonder how long until we have 'save the Goodbye to the TFD thread' threads.
I'm more then happy to create one for you now to suit your cynicism.
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 00:50   #16
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
finally.....
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 09:45   #17
Karmulian

enough of the spam....

Closed Thread