User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Jan 2005, 01:01   #1
«Messiah»

«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice
Jobs (Placements) in IT

I'm planning on doing a placement year next year, between 3rd and 4th years of a Comp Sci degree, and was wondering if anyone had any decent suggestions for companies to apply for?

My only constraints are that it has to be in the UK, and while I'd prefer it to be in Scotland I wouldn't say this is essential. I've looked (and applied, in some cases) to a lot of the big names like Logica, Microsoft, BAE Systems, but feel free to suggest any you think I may have missed.

GD, I'm counting on YOU!

«Messiah»
«Messiah» is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 01:07   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Jobs (Placements) in IT

I hate to say it but you're about 5 years too late
Programmers and IT people are unfortunately in abundance now.
Your best bet would be to look for smaller companies who can't afford people with lots of experience.
Google would be your friend for that one.

But in terms of big computer type companies - IBM?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 01:11   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
He's in between his 3rd and 4th year.
Did you really have to be so mean?!

Whilst you're right, I get the impression there are still big breaks out there for some, but unlike in the past, not all. So if you're good, carry on, good luck. If you're average - rid your luck? If you're a bit shit with no passion for it then I guess start getting other skills.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 01:15   #4
«Messiah»

«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice«Messiah» is just really nice

Yeah, I know about the career opportunities (or lack thereof) at the moment, this is one of the main reasons I wanted to try and get into the industry now, I figured anything I can put on my CV is gonna help in the long run.

Fortunately, I'd consider myself at least fairly decent in the subject, and I have a fairly substantial CV already so here's hoping.

Thanks for IBM, I'd managed to somehow completely overlook them.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 03:02   #5
Spiderman

IB it like us London Wide Boys
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 07:17   #6
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all

Please , oh lovely forum admins.
i beg of you,

amuse me,

move this thread to the IT forum...........
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 09:17   #7
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I would agree. If you asked me a few years ago what I wanted to do then it would be IT profession or something. Now I don’t want much to do with it, class it more as a hobby than anything else.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 09:34   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

If you can go to London, then there are plenty of options for you- big banks/accountants/etc. all have IT departments, and most run internship programmes.
KPMG
Deloitte
PwC
Accenture
Merryl Lynch
Goldman Sachs
Ernst & Young
etc.

get a FTSE-100 list, and work your way down it looking for their technology placements, most will offer something.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 10:04   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Citigroup love students.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 10:25   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I got a placement interview at IBM but despite being accepted I turned it down in the end, as it required me to be in london on a far-from-great sallery.
Instead I'm on placement at Precision Drilling for the same sallery but significantly lower costs of living. Yay me!

For reference the job involves a variety of things - I've done a fair bit of DLL and application programming (Visual C++), and some more hardware orientated stuff like server maintainance. Like I said in my thread-that-should-have-been-a-PM we had Canadians running around earlier this week installing new Cisco gear (switches, router and a firewall) so I was with them learning how that was set up and stuff which was quite interesting, and at the moment we're finishing setting up a new rackmount server. We just have lug it's massive rack mountable UPS down two flights of stairs and get it mounted (bearing in mind it takes 3 people to lift it, or if you take the battery pack out then 1 person to the shell and 2 to the battery pack), and then power it all on.
The fun starts in a few minutes...
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 11:23   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by «Messiah»
Yeah, I know about the career opportunities (or lack thereof) at the moment, this is one of the main reasons I wanted to try and get into the industry now, I figured anything I can put on my CV is gonna help in the long run.
There are actually plenty of career opportunities, the current glut of talented IT people is a myth perpetuated by those who only think they're talented (script monkeys and paper admins).

For people with real talent and enthusiasm there are jobs out there, it's just a matter of finding the companies that want to pay the money for someone who really understands things rather than a button pusher.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 12:55   #12
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

SCEE offer a decent placement thing if you are into that sort of thing.
Its how I got my permanent job here.

http://www.scee.sony.co.uk/sceesite/jobs.html

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 14:52   #13
«Messiah»

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOY
Please , oh lovely forum admins.
i beg of you,

amuse me,

move this thread to the IT forum...........
Was wondering who'd be the first to suggest that

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall look into them.
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 20:15   #14
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
There are actually plenty of career opportunities, the current glut of talented IT people is a myth perpetuated by those who only think they're talented (script monkeys and paper admins).

For people with real talent and enthusiasm there are jobs out there, it's just a matter of finding the companies that want to pay the money for someone who really understands things rather than a button pusher.
Strange how the BCS disagree with you. There is a glut of IT people of a fairly high standard and with IT based degrees being more and more popular not to mention the other IT qualifications available its extreamly difficult to get your foot in the door. Even if your extreamly talented and really understand things its that initial step thats the stumbling block for many due to entry level jobs rarely requiring such in depth knowledge. If you can get your foot in the door and build up some experiance then it becomes easier to let any advanced knowledge you have play a part but that break is hard to get. Its basically all about experiance, experiance, experiance and theres a lack of oppertunities to get the experiance

I even found it very difficult finding an unpaid work experiance place after leaving uni. Having had a fair few interviews but being told the lack of experiance counted against me and the fact so many roles outside of helpdesk/support that are touted as graduate or junior roles required 1 or 2 years experiance I thought this would be a good opertunity to get some experiance when it was suggested by the job centre but they didnt want to even take even unpaid workers on as they want people only with proven experiance so they wont have to 'hold your hand' at the start.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote