User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Mar 2004, 17:47   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Is this just a Canadian thing?

the whole "green beer on St. Paddy's Day" thing...or is that common place throughout the world?
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 17:50   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Is this just a Canadian thing?

Guinness isnt green .
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 17:51   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Is this just a Canadian thing?

It's here in the US.

I don't much see the point though.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 17:53   #4
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Guinness isnt green .
no, it isn't...but I didn't specify guinness.

like....you take green food colour and add a few drops to light coloured beer such as Stella, thus turning it green
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 18:48   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People drink things other than guinness?

(This is a general, not a StP's Day question)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 19:54   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i heard st patrick was the patron saint of ireland

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 20:06   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
no, it isn't...but I didn't specify guinness.

like....you take green food colour and add a few drops to light coloured beer such as Stella, thus turning it green
Irish people drink Guinness, they dont drink green Stella. So its certainly not an Irish thing, nor a British thing that i have witnessed.
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 20:53   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

st patricks day is guiness. not green stella
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 20:59   #9
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeah drinking guiness makes you so Irish
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 22:56   #10
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
st patricks day is guiness. not green stella
st patricks day is March 17, not guinness
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 23:13   #11
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

who is st patrick?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 23:15   #12
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I have never seen this "green beer". However I drink guinness on an ordinary day, as well as St Pat's.

Here we had guinness, baileys and jameson on special offer yesterday. And that is what people drank to celebrate St Patrick's day.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 23:17   #13
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
who is st patrick?
St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity's most widely known figures. But for all his celebrity, his life remains somewhat of a mystery. Many of the stories traditionally associated with St. Patrick, including the famous account of his banishing all the snakes from Ireland, are false, the products of hundreds of years of exaggerated storytelling.
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 23:34   #14
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Green beer? Wtf? Sounds like that yellow snowcone someone once tricked me with...
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 23:54   #15
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity's most widely known figures. But for all his celebrity, his life remains somewhat of a mystery. Many of the stories traditionally associated with St. Patrick, including the famous account of his banishing all the snakes from Ireland, are false, the products of hundreds of years of exaggerated storytelling.
Thats not true that his life is a mystery. He cronicled his life story in a letter to the bishops of the Roman Empire in Roman Britan (where he was from). They summonsed him back from Ireland as his method of teaching the bible to the barbarians didnt sit well with them. He taught it in Irish instead of latin,encorporated and adapted many customs into his teachings etc.

He was caputred and sold into slavery as a boy. Ended up a shepard for 6 years in North-West Ireland. Heard the voice of God telling him he will get home,and it directed him,an escaped slave,across Ireland to where it promised a ship would await. A feat in itself crossing Ireland unprotected like that,the ship was there.

He returned home,the first person ever to escape from slavery in Ireland and get home. Decided to become a priest as the 'voices of the people of Ireland' continued to call him back to help show them the God that saved him in dreams.

Became a priest and then a bishop and took on a foolhardy task and a competley unheard of idea of converting a whole nation.

He arrived back in Ireland and used his knowledge of the language and customs to get the protection of the King then began to show the Irish christianity.

No-one had ever dared take christianty out of the Roman empire. This was unheard of. Eventually the Irish loved him and by the time he died in the mide 400's he was nationaly revered as pretty much a Saint.
There are many stories about him in his cronicle which are equaly as amazing as the snake stories but are based in truth. The man didnt need such stories to pop up,he was a truely incredible individual already.

He set up the Irish Christian Church and monastic settlements.Ireland became a place of learning. This was around the time when the Roman Empire was falling and the barbarans were taking over. The Dark Ages were about to hit and from all over Europe scholars brought aincent texts and artifacts to Ireland to save them from the hoards.
For hundreds of years Ireland became the centre of knowledge and learning in all of Europe. The basic premise of modern European customs and ways of life stem from Ireland,they invented many a way of life and ways of language in the monesteries.
They were the first to seperate words, to use paragraphs, to capitalise letters etc.

European conciousness resided and was born of Ireland all thanks to Saint Patrick.
He did more for this world than most could ever dream of.

And people still think of Saint Patricks Day as the day when the Irish drink alot and everyone copies them.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 00:10   #16
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Green beer? Wtf? Sounds like that yellow snowcone someone once tricked me with...
it''s nuthin all that special really...but I drink green beer every st. pats day

he's how it's done... http://www.sptimes.com/2003/03/12/photos/dish-BEER1.jpg
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 00:16   #17
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Plus NO-ONE here drinks green beer. Thats something you weirdos in North American thought up.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 00:43   #18
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Plus NO-ONE here drinks green beer. Thats something you weirdos in North American thought up.
well it's about time someone actually answered, thank you IncubusGod
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 02:53   #19
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Someone here (UK) mentioned Green Beer to me yesterday (St Patricks Day)
Can't remember who, or in what context though
I seem to remember looking at them like they were a bit mad though. Guinness is black, and it can't change colour. Admittedly the head could be made green, but that's about all. It would also look like something out of a low budget alien movie though.