User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:00   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Kate Moss Fired

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4263792.stm

OK, im not even going to pretend, I don't give a damn what happens to Kate Moss personally, it's just an excuse to talk about attitudes to drugs. So let's:

It is absolutely absurd that someone can be dropped from a contract (or whatever happened) just because they choose to spend their time getting high. Obviously she is still capable of doing the work, she has done recently, and afaik there were no problems before this.

The prevailing and mythical attitudes and laws towards drugs are harming people every day; certainly to more of an extent than legalisation would. True, she isn't likely to be arrested or anything, but in a way that just adds to the hypocrisy of the law. By and large, the people who actually enforce the law care very little about recreational drug use (or even dependent, if you can afford it, as she obviously can) but most of society is still anti-drugs, at least on the surface.

It's the myths and attitudes pushed by the social right and the tabloid media that cause this imo. I saw an article in the sun a couple of weeks ago called something like "Killer pills cheaper than ever" about E's being sold for 50p each (). The fact that they can get away with calling them that, and the polemic in the article itself (which was even worse iirc) is utterly disgraceful. It's exactly the kind of negative reporting to shock and enrage the uneducated masses and middle class daily mail reading arseholes that i hate so much.

OK, that'll do for now.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:14   #2
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Kate Moss Fired

"In 1998, the model spent time in the Priory clinic after admitting that her party lifestyle had taken its toll.

She has a daughter, Lila Grace, with her ex-partner, publisher Jefferson Hack. "
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:14   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4263792.stm

OK, im not even going to pretend, I don't give a damn what happens to Kate Moss personally, it's just an excuse to talk about attitudes to drugs. So let's:

blah blah
I think you'll find that she wasn't dropped for doing drugs, she was dropped for doing things that were directly opposed to what the company in question supported. It could have fly fishing she did and the advertisers have a policy against fly fishers.

Frankly if i was paying someone to advertise for me and then i found out they were doing something I didn't like and was the opposite to policies i'd spent a lot more money on, I'd drop them too, because as the person paying them, that's my right.

Stop going off on one as soon as drugs and 'bad mmmkay' are mentioned in a sentance Henry.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 21 Sep 2005 at 13:21.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:18   #4
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

unfortunately the opening post wasn't "from a cannon into the sun"
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:21   #5
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
I think you'll find that she wasn't dropped for doing drugs, she was dropped for doing things that were directly opposed to what the company in question supported. It could have fly fishing she did and the advertisers have a policy against fly fishers.

Frankly if i was paying someone to advertise for me and then i found out they were doing something I didn't like and was the opposite to policies i'd spent a lot more money on, I'd drop them too, because as the person paying them, that's my right.

Stop going off on one as soon as drugs and 'bad mmmkay' are mentioned in a sentance henry.
Additionally.

If I was shamed for being a drug addict publicly I would also be fired.

Bringing the company into disrepute.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:22   #6
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think you'll find that she wasn't dropped for doing drugs, she was dropped for doing things that majority of the advertisers audience don't approve of. It could have fly fishing she did and the advertisers target hate fly fishers

Frankly if i was paying someone to advertise for me and then i found out they were doing something I didn't like, I'd drop them too, because as the person paying them, that's my right..
Actually that's what im upset about, i thought i made it fairly clear, but obviously not clear enough. It's the fact that the advertisers audience care about it so much that H&M would drop her that annoys me. I don't actually mind that they dropped her, it was probably the sensible thing to do given the social climate. It's the fact that the social climate is the way that it is that saddens me so much

Quote:
Stop going off on one as soon as drugs and 'bad mmmkay' are mentioned in a sentance henry.
The way i see it, it's a huge injustice in our society, causing misery and pain to thousands of people every year. That certainly makes it something worth "going off on one" for. Your kind of attitude is just as bad as someone telling gay rights activists (when it was still illegal) to stop "going off on one".
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:26   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Actually that's what im upset about, i thought i made it fairly clear, but obviously not clear enough. It's the fact that the advertisers audience care about it so much that H&M would drop her that annoys me. I don't actually mind that they dropped her, it was probably the sensible thing to do given the social climate. It's the fact that the social climate is the way that it is that saddens me so much

The way i see it, it's a huge injustice in our society, causing misery and pain to thousands of people every year. That certainly makes it something worth "going off on one" for. Your kind of attitude is just as bad as someone telling gay rights activists (when it was still illegal) to stop "going off on one".
no, my attitude is that you do this (whing, not start threads) EVERY TIME someone mentions drugs in a negative light. perhaps people are ALLOWED THEIR OWN OPINIONS and don't want to change.

If gay rights activists start stupid rants every time someone said the word gay i'd tell them to stop being stupid too.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:30   #8
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Quote:

It is absolutely absurd that someone can be dropped from a contract (or whatever happened) just because they choose to spend their time getting high.
She is a role model (believe it or not) to younger generation.

Companies will fire people like Kate to state they will not tolerate that behaviour as it isn't "acceptable" to today's society*

What I don't agree with was it WASN'T in a public place where she was doing said drugs and it wasn't harming anyone but her.

There is still a career for her coughDaniella Westbrookcough

*instead they will abuse/exploit little children in the middle east to make their clothing

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:32   #9
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
no, my attitude is that you do this (whing, not start threads) EVERY TIME someone mentions drugs in a negative light. perhaps people are ALLOWED THEIR OWN OPINIONS and don't want to change.

If gay rights activists start stupid rants every time someone said the word gay i'd tell them to stop being stupid too.
what the **** man?

WHAT THE ****?

You can have your absurd opinion if you want, but that's no reason to bitch at me for having mine. If i feel strongly about something why am I not allowed to whine about it?

when was the last time i did this though, seriously? It's not like it's the only thing i ever talk about, its just something i care about and something i like to talk about now and again.

Could you really not guess what this thread was about from the title and the user posting it?
Did you really have to click on it?
Did you really have to reply?
Did you really have to reply to my reply?
Do you really have to reply to this?
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:35   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Yeah, couse it had been so much better if H&M and the rest of the world told Kate Moss that "We like your style, your cool, and every mother should be allowed to do coke without any form of social reaction to it".

Actually, Im quite glad my mother didnt do drugs (and still doesnt). Im also quite glad she didnt drink while I was beeing "made" either. And Im quite glad she didnt drink in front off me while I grew up.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:36   #11
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Could you really not guess what this thread was about from the title and the user posting it?
That one was pretty obvious. I figured you'd be going off on one about drugs and how peoples attitudes suck etc when drugs aren't especially anything to do with why she got fired.

Did you really have to click on it?
boredom at work dictates so

Did you really have to reply?
see previous reply. I figured you'd be dragging a drugs angle into a story that wasn't particulary to do with drugs.

Did you really have to reply to my reply?

see previous previous reply. Also it'd be rude not to.

Do you really have to reply to this?
see previous previous previous reply
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 13:53   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No-one is disputing the right of the company to fire Kate Moss for whatever they want. However, the argument is whether their policies (or prejudices) are justified in any way. I agree with Henry, some of the coverage of this in the newspaper is hilariously bad.

Let's imagine this wasn't about drugs or Kate Moss. Let's imagine it was about Heidi Klum getting pregnant by a black guy (Seal or whatever his name is). If I was a corporation owning tycoon let's imagine I sacked her because my company had a policy against miscegnation. Would I have the right to do this? Yes, certainly*. Would I be torn a new arsehole in the press? I should bloody well hope so.

Companies acting in a bigoted/irrational manner because that's the current vogue is kind of unhelpful imho. It leads to circular reasoning and a lack of progress in social thinking.

* = Well, probably not - if you actually did this you'd get sued to oblivion, but I presume we mean "rights" in the general moral sense.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:01   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think your example is inaccurate Dante.
It isn't illegal to be impregnated by a black guy.
It is illegal to use drugs.

This thread is simply asking "Why do drugs have such a bad stigma attached?" and will turn into "Why are drugs illegal?" and we will have the same discussion as per usual.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:04   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I think your example is inaccurate Dante.
I never said it was the same situation, NB3 said they had the right to fire her for whatever they wanted. I agreed, but I'm saying if it wasn't a 'good' reason (for other reasons) we'd be more annoyed.

And besides, I've not followed the story but has she actually been found guilty on any drugs charges?

edit : Would she have been fired if people had found out she downloaded MP3s?
edit2 : enby's first example was fly-fishing, which also isn't illegal.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 21 Sep 2005 at 14:12.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:11   #15
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ok, I think NB3's point is that they can sack her for something that is "socially unacceptable" (I can't think of a better way to describe it)
The point of this thread is basically "Why are drugs socially unacceptable?" of which we've had plenty of discussions.

If she downloaded mp3's and the media made a big deal over it then i'm pretty sure she would have been sacked for that too.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:16   #16
Danae
loved

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

when was the last time i did this though, seriously? It's not like it's the only thing i ever talk about, its just something i care about and something i like to talk about now and again.
http://pirate.planetarion.com/search...earchid=220359
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:18   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

exactly, the 9th of september, thats quite a break
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:23   #18
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the whole Kate Moss thing is a waste of time. there was no reason to publish the article in the first place, it wasn't in the public good or whatever it's called. It was just about trying to destroy someones career to sell newspapers and then blame her downfall on drugs.

"Oh but she's a role model blah blah blah"

So what? A lot of super models take drugs, fact. Exposing her coke usage (rather than ignoring this non-story) has not helped anyone except to maybe teach wanna-be supermodels to be more careful when snorting coke.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:36   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Apparently Naomi Campbell injects heroin between her toes so you can't see the needle marks on her arms/legs/etc.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 14:43   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Kate Moss Fired

The whole thing is a little ridiculous.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 16:21   #21
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
how did you extrapolate "thousands of people every year" from one fired supermodel

(and btw she'll probably get the money anyway because of her contractual rights)
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 16:23   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
you probably shouldn't admit that you've turned yourself into a one dimensional Gimmick Account ...
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 16:36   #23
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

she was being paid to represent the values associated with the brand, not just look pretty in their clothes.

snorting coke from your lesbian lovers belly doesnt really go with the clean living trendy young girl image that H&M was paying her to portray.
am sure that a few of the board of directors have powdery noses now and then, but they arent paid to sell their image to teenage girls.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:32   #24
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think it's entirely right that there's a media stigma about this, I think drug use SHOULD be discouraged because it's already so heavily glamourised, and I think it's perfectly reasonable of H&M to drop her on the back of this.

I don't, on the other hand, believe there should be a police investigation, because I think that narcotics should be legal - just strongly, strongly discouraged.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:37   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
I think it's entirely right that there's a media stigma about this, I think drug use SHOULD be discouraged because it's already so heavily glamourised.
Ignoring the moral issues, it's debatable whether the current media stigma actually succeeds in encouraging anyone not to take drugs. This whole charade seems to have just publicised the fact that glamarous, successful people take drugs. If it had been quietly ignored we'd be in a slightly better situation.

Companies pay a lot of money to have their product associated with "stars" and in the media, and this Daily Mail bullshit has just achieved the same effect for drug dealers absolutley free of charge.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:40   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Ignoring the moral issues, it's debatable whether the current media stigma actually succeeds in encouraging anyone not to take drugs. This whole charade seems to have just publicised the fact that glamarous, successful people take drugs. If it had been quietly ignored we'd be in a slightly better situation.

Companies pay a lot of money to have their product associated with "stars" and in the media, and this Daily Mail bullshit has just achieved the same effect for drug dealers absolutley free of charge.
"fall from grace attributed to cocaine"
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:43   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
"fall from grace attributed to cocaine"
She's still far richer than you and I or will ever be (probably).

This is hardly a fall from grace is it? Even if she died of some sort of overdose tomorrow she'd still be seen as some sort of cool icon because of it all.

Ignore these people and they will eventually go away. Giving them the oxygen of publicity justifies their existence.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:54   #28
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Apparently Naomi Campbell injects heroin between her toes so you can't see the needle marks on her arms/legs/etc.
that's so hot
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 17:58   #29
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm unsure what to want.
I'd like to see her jailed just because.
But then, she's attractive.
Oh, what to want.
[edit]
actually, **** it, jail her.
her boyfriend pisses me off too much.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 22:50   #30
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Btw, totally on the side:

Is it just me, or have others too seen far prettier girls than Kate Moss?
I have a couple at my courses in uni, who I think looks far better than Moss.
Unread 21 Sep 2005, 22:53   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Kate Moss isn't very pretty. But she's supposed to look more "unusual" than pretty.

She's nothing special even by the relatively low standards of Croydon (where she's from).
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 09:53   #32
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
It is absolutely absurd that someone can be dropped from a contract (or whatever happened) just because they choose to spend their time getting high. Obviously she is still capable of doing the work, she has done recently, and afaik there were no problems before this.
unfortunately while she is capable of doing "work", her "job" in this case is to provide an image for the company. If she does not provide this image that the company wants, then she cannot obviously do the said job for the company. it's like if someone had a job as a model for a brand of shampoo, and then they shaved their heads, obviously they are not going to be providing the correct image for the company and cannot work for them anymore.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 11:32   #33
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Btw, totally on the side:

pretty and photogenic are quite different things.
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 11:43   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
unfortunately while she is capable of doing "work", her "job" in this case is to provide an image for the company. If she does not provide this image that the company wants, then she cannot obviously do the said job for the company.
I think the point Henry is making is that it's a bit arbritrary. Why do H&M even care about drug use? Is it anything to do with their business? If she worked for the Body Shop (or PETA) and then she was seen wearing fur then fair enough, but it's a little stretched imo in this case.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 10:09   #35
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
how did you extrapolate "thousands of people every year" from one fired supermodel

(and btw she'll probably get the money anyway because of her contractual rights)
Like i said, i don't actually care about kate moss, its the whole attitude in the country (world) that upsets me. I don't know how many times i have to say it in this thread before you supposedly intelligent people get it. The whole Kate Moss thing was an excuse, i said that, i can't quite work out why only Dante seems to have grasped that.

Quote:
you probably shouldn't admit that you've turned yourself into a one dimensional Gimmick Account ...
I know I have a certain reputation around here, but like that thing that whoever it was searched for earlier in this thread, the last time i mentioned drugs was the 9th; and that was just the word.

If you (not just you of course) view me as that, then its only because of your own inherent laziness and need to put me in a category rather than actually think.

P.S I do realise that ive just replied far too much to a throwaway comment, but it does start to get to me.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 10:21   #36
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I think the point Henry is making is that it's a bit arbritrary. Why do H&M even care about drug use? Is it anything to do with their business? If she worked for the Body Shop (or PETA) and then she was seen wearing fur then fair enough, but it's a little stretched imo in this case.
H&M have to consider their image and possible market impact as a result of their association with a higly publicised drug user. If they think that this association is going to cost them reputation, damage their brand and lose sales, then Kate is not doing her job, which is to improve the brand, reputation and sales of the firm.

I would find it difficult to believe that this accusation (and that is all it is at the moment) would have no effect on the public image of Kate Moss, and therefore no impact on firms who associate themselves with her. Realistically, since this is only an accusation at this stage and not a conviction, they shouldn't, but people will judge her well before the trial and the advertising firms have to take that into account.

The relevance of the offence to the product is largely immaterial in this case, since Kate is there for her image association. It's like Craig Charles when he was accused of rape (later found to be innocent) - he lost a number of jobs over this because of the negative association, and it was the same kind of thing. the Rape claim had nothing to do with the jobs he was doing, but it damaged his image and hence would have damaged the images of any firms working with him, resulting in lower viewing figures etc.

Unread 23 Sep 2005, 10:22   #37
madi
a little bit broken

Quote:
Like i said, i don't actually care about kate moss, its the whole attitude in the country (world) that upsets me. I don't know how many times i have to say it in this thread before you supposedly intelligent people get it. The whole Kate Moss thing was an excuse, i said that, i can't quite work out why only Dante seems to have grasped that.
she didnt give another story to keep this one quiet.
a newspaper man with nothing else to write that day will have phoned her up and said 'do you have anything juicy i can write up instead of printing all this stuff i have about you snorting cocain from your lesbian lovers belly while your daughter experiments with crack in the other room? ' or some such
and she would have said 'sod off greasy, i am far too busy snorting cocain from my lesbian lovers belly to worry about such things'

the world cares about crap and rubbish like that, it sells magazines, why else do you think there are 27 Hello clones out there, trashing beautiful people makes fat ugly layabouts feel better about themselves.

she got dumped because a druggy image is not one a clothes retailer advertising to young girls wants to project.

what is there not to get?
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 10:28   #38
Radical Edward

Quote:
but in your initial post you said that (and I paraphrase) "it is absurd that someone could be dropped from a contract because of this" - but it isn't really absurd, because of the effect that this accusation will have on the images of the people and groups involved. the rest of your point was reasonable and I have no major objections to it, but if there is a flaw in part of what you said, then shouldn't it be pointed out, just because it was not the central point of the post?

Unread 23 Sep 2005, 10:34   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
but in your initial post you said that (and I paraphrase) "it is absurd that someone could be dropped from a contract because of this" - but it isn't really absurd, because of the effect that this accusation will have on the images of the people and groups involved. the rest of your point was reasonable and I have no major objections to it, but if there is a flaw in part of what you said, then shouldn't it be pointed out, just because it was not the central point of the post?
OK, point taken.

perhaps i wasnt clear enough there, i dont actually blame H&M for firing her. It just annoys me that the social climate is such where it is acceptable and even expected for them to do this.

It isn't their fault that they had to do this, Im sure ive already said that, but i might as well reiterate
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 11:27   #40
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe the one of the companies that fired her was worried about her image was already being damaged by being with Pete Doherty. Realising that this was giving their image a negative effect yet aware that it was not enough to fire her. One innovating young soul in the company realised a simple solution to this.

Contact one of her outer-edge associates (or send in someone undercover) and pay them to take photos of Kate snorting Coke and then send them to the tabloids with a trashy story.

this would then allow the company to sack her and help defend their image

[/conspiracy]
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 13:35   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
she got dumped because a druggy image is not one a clothes retailer advertising to young girls wants to project.

what is there not to get?
There's a small danger here that people might actually believe that H&M really give a shit about what lifestyle they're inspiring young girls to emulate. If the negative press didn't exist H&M wouldn't give a flying ****.

Anyways hooray for the freedom to take drugs and such!
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 13:51   #42
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
There's a small danger here that people might actually believe that H&M really give a shit about what lifestyle they're inspiring young girls to emulate.
H&M promote what I call the "lets don't eat and develop problems with eathing"-syndrom among girls trough they're commersials and they're small sizes.

Sadly it' accepted in todays society that helping pressuring young girls into having problems with they're own boddies, is legal and not frawned upon. On the other hand it wouldn't help anyone if doing coke was added to the "accepted-list" would it? (like Deepflow seems to suggest)
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:01   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd like to see young people educated about liberty and personal responsibility. I'd like to see children learn that while they are free to do many things once they reach their adulthood there are always negative effects with the positive ones. That's just me though.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:04   #44
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Sadly our society **** them up well before they reach 18, JBG.
Not all of them ofcouse, but quite a lot of them.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:05   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

Hay I'm down with the fall of western civilisation
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:20   #46
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Hay I'm down with the fall of western civilisation
I'm sure you'll cause it.

By accident.

when drunk.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:21   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
On the other hand it wouldn't help anyone if doing coke was added to the "accepted-list" would it? (like Deepflow seems to suggest)
Does it help anyone that it's not? Aside from the people who sell it, because prices are so high, but as the risk is pretty high that's unsurprising.

Anyway, who cares. Apparently up to fifty thousand people in London could be using / addicted to crack, let alone coke. As someone else I know pointed out, almost all the newspapers who have got hysterical about this shit will have a reasonable number of journalists who use / have used cocaine before. So have your hysteria and moral panics. Have you hypocritical rantings in the gutter press. It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference anyway.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:43   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Kate Moss Fired

Is the answer to simply ban fashion and beautiful people, thus eradicating 'cool'?

This moderator thinks so.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 14:55   #49
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Quote:

If you could just answer the question that would be super.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 15:42   #50
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Let's imagine this wasn't about drugs or Kate Moss. Let's imagine it was about Heidi Klum getting pregnant by a black guy (Seal or whatever his name is). If I was a corporation owning tycoon let's imagine I sacked her because my company had a policy against miscegnation. Would I have the right to do this? Yes, certainly*. Would I be torn a new arsehole in the press? I should bloody well hope so.

Companies acting in a bigoted/irrational manner because that's the current vogue is kind of unhelpful imho. It leads to circular reasoning and a lack of progress in social thinking.
Firstly, the 'stigma' attached to drug addiction is largely justified, so you cant really compare it to interracial marriage. Getting addicted to coke/heroin isnt like putting your penis inside a black women. Secondly, these companies were hiring supermodels to advertise their products. This in itself indicates that they are highly concerned about their public image - if they werent wanting to promote a specific image of themselves they Kate Moss wouldnt have got the job in the first place. Hence she can hardly have any complaints that she is being fired because she is no longer the person who portrays the kind of image they want. Its not like she was a company secretary who was being hired for any reasons above and beyond the perception that people have of her. Her image is her career, and she ruined it. When you decide to essentially base your entire life around what 'the public' thinks of you, these are the kind of risks that you incur.

Last edited by Nodrog; 23 Sep 2005 at 15:48.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote