User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Feb 2004, 12:58   #1
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
upgrading ME to XP

my boss doesnt advise it

but mostly she is a bit of a meglamaniac

why wouldnt i want to?
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:00   #2
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Re: upgrading ME to XP

Slow PC?
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:02   #3
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

i dunno but if you cannot upgrade to XP at least upgrade to 98 :P

Seriosally tho i cannot think of any reason why you cannot do this, from an os point of view it should be done xp is far supirior to ME, unless your boss is advising you from having tried and had problems with the actual upgrade ignore him/her and do it!! and if it is this reformat and instal xp freshly.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:03   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ME is probably the worst operating system I've used in the last 6 years.

XP is a vast improvement, as CjC says the only reason you'd not want to if old/rubbish PC.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:05   #5
nickhall
Naked & Profane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
ME is probably the worst operating system ever.

XP is a vast improvement, as CjC says the only reason you'd not want to if old/rubbish PC.
much better!
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:07   #6
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

my advise to her is

ME is rubbish
if need be go to 98 and then XP

but boss said 'oh no no no i wouldnt advice upgrading from ME to XP'
and girl thinks boss knows more about it than me
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:10   #7
nickhall
Naked & Profane

wtf how can anyone who has ever seen ME think it is ok to use!
lol!
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:24   #8
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
why wouldnt i want to?
1) Expense (assuming this is legit)
2) If it's not broken don't fix it
3) Compatibility issues
4) The level of control Microsoft has over what you can and can't do that's in all it's recent software
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:27   #9
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ME is a pile of Wank.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:33   #10
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
ME is a pile of Wank.
listen to the prophet Kurishima, for he is all knowing and all powerful

seriously, ME is shite....get rid of it now
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:42   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Any computer that can run ME can run XP. XP is actually properly scaleable.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:43   #12
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Apparently ME handles memory better than Windows 95/98, and works a hell of a lot better with more than 128MB, although it is limited to a 640MB maximum, any larger requires a configuration fudge as microsoft decided not to fix it.

However, I had 512MB on my machine with ME and it was hopeless. XP transformed my PC into something useable.
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:47   #13
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Any computer that can run ME can run XP. XP is actually properly scaleable.
XP uses more resources than Win 2000 (and ME), so 128MB is a bit limited for an XP system without constant paging occuring if you open even just a few apps. That said if you switch off all the fangled special effects and such XP runs a lot nicer on low spec systems.
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:50   #14
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point

is it possible to upgrade from ME -> to XP?

i tought it wasnt possible

anyway never upgrade its wank

just format and install again -> then take a ghost for future use

done
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 13:56   #15
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearhead
is it possible to upgrade from ME -> to XP?
yes
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:39   #16
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

dont upgrade, backup and install xp from scratch.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:39   #17
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I upgraded from ME to XP when Beefy finally got off his rotund arse and sent me a disc (yes, yes, OMG WTF DM USES W4R35, CALL THE POLICE!!!111) and it was a piece of piss.

Everything worked, all the drivers were OK, games were fine, mouse, printer, scanner, eveyrhting.

Tell the daft cow she knows about as much about PC's as I do about gerbil felching and get rid of that ME crap forever.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:43   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

and yes, its very, very, very worth it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:48   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I upgraded from ME to YOU
Chuckle brothers style puntasticness.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:54   #20
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

When I asked the man at Tesco's about this he said it would work fine and your boss is being a mouldy old flange.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 15:09   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
the man at Tesco's
is he like the man from Del Monte?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 15:13   #22
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
is he like the man from Del Monte?

Better. He is an Oracle.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 15:48   #23
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ME had a minor problem in 'reclaiming' memory once it had been used. I found to make it keep working for more than an hour at 'reasonably speed' i had to defrag my memory.

As i understand it programs would 'reserve' memory which windows was meant to actively take back ocne the program no longer needed it. However in ME it failed to do this or it did it very badly. This wasnt the case in 98 or XP.

tbh Xp is a shit load better than ME ever was....upgrade at once.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 17:42   #24
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhall
much better!
Somebody never used Windows 1.0
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 18:08   #25
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

So what are your boss´ expertise? How did she got to be your boss? Another sexual scandle? This humble posters thinks YES.
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 18:25   #26
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

i had me on my machine

i couldn't do a upgrade thingy to xp...

COS ME CRASHED 6 SECONDS AFTER BOOT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 20:09   #27
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

XP gave me so many problems that I said screw it and went back to 98. I like 98 and I am too lazy to back up my stuff and try XP again. Of course I had a non-legal version so that could have been the problem too.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 20:50   #28
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDrax
XP gave me so many problems that I said screw it and went back to 98. I like 98 and I am too lazy to back up my stuff and try XP again. Of course I had a non-legal version so that could have been the problem too.
have a rex
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 22:38   #29
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

"megalomaniac"
Unread 5 Feb 2004, 01:34   #30
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
my boss doesnt advise it

but mostly she is a bit of a meglamaniac

why wouldnt i want to?
Because it's your boss, and the boss is always right. couldn't you try to upgrade to XP, and make it look like ME. And there's probably screensavers that looks like ME bluescreens that you can download. But if it's worth it to make your boss look like a fool in order to get a better ms operating system, then do it.

As a last resort, you can alway ask him about help on ME whenever you get a problem, in order to make him change his mind. You won't even have to be creative in order to do so