User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 18 Mar 2005, 04:25   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Discuss] CGI:IRC

This was an idea first brought up today in #beta, basically I work and I go to university when at both places I cant download mirc or use it, I know masses of people who like myself, have to search for a stable cgi:irc just to be able to connect to netgamers. I think it is acknowledged, that IRC is an important aspect of the game.

So my suggestion would be, replace the com unit with a pop up cgi:irc which connects to netgamers. It allows people to play pa from work or uni or school and do there alliance stuff on irc. I think it would help to build up the community of pa as well, I for one know that one of the main reasons im still here is because of the community and friends on irc.netgamers.org

So the idea could perhaps be, paid accounts get this cgi:irc addon, imo it would add real value to upgrading your account, and could entyce more people to signup and pay.
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 04:27   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Discuss] CGI:IRC

Absolutely yes.

Should have been done ages ago.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 04:46   #3
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Yes, yes and yes again. My replies have been seen by the relevant people in #beta, cba to write them here again right now at least

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 13:56   #4
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

excellent idea, com unit is horrible to use
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 14:19   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

There are 2 problems with cgi-irc I believe:
1) bandwidth costs for us
2) I believe each connection uses a significant amount of RAM up (signficiant in the sense that if a lot of people used it their would be a problem.

Also it came up on irc that it would be nice to have a comunit that u can us ebetween rounds, however if this was cgi based we woudl need to restrict it to PA players to keep costs down so this would really need to be a passport style feature.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 15:07   #6
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

Isn't there an issue with cgi:irc where you can't have two open connections to it on a shared lan?

I do agree it would a great service to offer, but in turn it may push the costs up for pa.

So its a balance between keeping entry cost down vs the importance of irc
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 15:46   #7
Zero
uber pe0n

Zero will become famous soon enoughZero will become famous soon enough

call me stupid but can u explain to us dumbasses what the difference between mIRC and CGI:IRC is?
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 16:51   #8
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

IRC is a 'thing'.

mIRC is just a windows client that you use to connect to IRC.

CGI:IRC is a web-based CGI module that allows you to connect to IRC via the website host and the interface is controlled by HTML

These are just two ways that you can connect to IRC, but there are other ways, just type 'IRC client' in google and have a look around
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2005, 17:15   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

to simplify it :
cgi-irc is a web page based irc
mirc ( and comunit ) are program based irc

some work places block programs from being used, cgi-irc gets around that
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 01:41   #10
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

Don't blame PAteam for com unit, they didnt write it !
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote