User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Jun 2006, 17:26   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Uni Grades Question

I've been predicted AAB for uni and I need BBB to get into UCL which is my firm choice and my insurance is Queen Marys with BBC (but I don't really want to go to QMs).

I know for definate so far I have an A in one subject overall. I just had maths and if I hadn't mucked up in one module I would have got an A/B overall but it's looking like I might just scrape a B overall in maths if everyone found C4 today hard across the country (Edexcel) - because I've got 88 (C1), 70 (C2), 79 (C3), 44 (S1) confirmed and I'm sure I got 70 in S2 and my 6th module today - C4, I've missed out on around 30 marks which would leave me with 45/75 which is a B if the grade boundaries are low otherwise a C for that C4 paper.

My third subject, computing, I'm already on an A with at AS level and I am aiming for a B in it on Tuesday although I should get an A in it.

If I get ABC/AAC, is it likely I could still get a place at UCL? If so, is it worth me sending them an e-mail or giving them a phone call saying I've gone titsup on one exam?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 17:29   #2
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Uni Grades Question

It depends on what the general marks are like. I know one person who had to get BBB and was turned down with ABC just as more people than expected had achieved the grades so they were over subscribed.

Others then though have been asked for 300 points and let in with 280. I imagine this is more likely.

I wouldn't bother contacting them to say you screwed up though.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 17:42   #3
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

I'm not sure of the current system but when I was appying (back in 2000) all my offers were based on the points total with a minimum grade in the subject I was looking to study.

The offer for my first choice, Masters in Physics at Uni of Bath, was 22 points (A = 10, B = 8, C = 6 etc) with a B minimum in Physics.

In your case BBB would be 24 points and if you come out as AAC you've got 26, so I'd think you'd be OK as long as the C isn't in the subject you're looking to study as your major.

Even if you fall a little short they may still take you, I was offered a place on 22 points, but I found out after I started the degree that some other's on my degree had offers of 22, 24 or 26 to get on the course. I.e. If they're prepared to accept someone with an offer of 22 they may let you slide if they offer you 26 and you fall a little short and get 24 for example.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 17:50   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Thanks both of you.

The points system I've been quoted has been in UMS as opposed to the UCAS points system that you are refering to Emprer Rozenski (but I understand what you mean nonetheless).

UCL have specifically stated that I need a B in each subject I'm doing at A2 where as Queen Marys have said I need 280 points = BBC.

The course I am applying for btw is Information Management at UCL (and at Queen Marys, it's computer science). UCL normally accept around 30 people for this course which covers computing, information systems and business management in one. Not much maths to it although it is integral to the first year... heh :|
----------retired-------
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 19:17   #5
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

You should be alright, something similar happened to me when I applied for uni. I needed ABB and got AAC. The admissions office waited a day before confirming my place in the course, but in the end everything was ok. One of my mates got into the same course with ABC. I suppose it just depends on the places available.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 19:18   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It really depends on the whims of the university. Whatever you do, get in touch as soon as you know your results - get to your school at 9am if necessary. The early bird catches the worm, etc.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 19:28   #7
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I needed BBB and got AAU.

5 Years instead of 4 but i got an extra year's drinking into the bargain so \0/

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 19:35   #8
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dont go to uni, too expensive now (is it really worth it?)
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 19:53   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Whether you get in depends on their overall position in terms of how many people have got in, etc. I failed to get my needed grades (for Queen Mary's in fact) but they let me onto a course anyway since they had a gap.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:44   #10
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Cheers everyone - Phalon .... how did you manage a U?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Queen Mary's
Now we have two things in common.
----------retired-------
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:56   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

my friend has QM as reserve!

most unis are responsive if you get in touch early. UCL are more competitive than most, presumably, but if you call/email to find out, you ought to be fine. I'm cacking myself for a different reason; after getting CDE last year, i'm predicted BBB overall (for PPE at lancaster); history looks like a safe B, economics might be an A, but my awful, awful american politics teacher has me cacking myself - honestly I feel I'd be lucky to pass. Actually, I should probably fire off an email of my own. Hm.

Anyway, good luck with your remaining exams. I have six to go (out of eleven - three resits) including three american politics ones, which should be 'fun'.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 21:05   #12
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Phalon .... how did you manage a U?
It's called not turning up to your Pure Maths lectures.

I wouldn't recommend it kids.

I got 3/100 on Pure 3 \0/

Not my fault they were always on when i had bball training and matches (Wednesday and Friday afternoons).

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 21:30   #13
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I played for england at under 16 level in basketball god those were the days!
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 23:05   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Anyway, good luck with your remaining exams. I have six to go (out of eleven - three resits) including three american politics ones, which should be 'fun'.
You too dude! Although you sound like you need it more than me :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I played for england at under 16 level in basketball god those were the days!
The american 'william penn fellow' we get every year - the guy here currently who's going to go back and a new replacement arrives at the school (although it's my last year so I don't care) but he has helped coach UCONN - University Connecticut aka division 1 uni champs out there.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:07   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
iif everyone found C4
What the **** is C4?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:12   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
What the **** is C4?
"C1 to C4 are based on the old P1 to P3 but there are significant changes"

http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/new.html
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:18   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
"C1 to C4 are based on the old P1 to P3 but there are significant changes"
Oh dear lord, are they trying to make Maths absolutely worthless for university candidates?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:25   #18
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Oh dear lord, are they trying to make every subject absolutely worthless for everyone?
Yes.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 10:07   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

You know, C3 & C4 > P3 in terms of difficulty. You might think splitting it up is easier - it really isn't. There are more 'hard' C4 questions if you get what I mean

The last C4 papers have had lower grade boundaries.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 13:18   #20
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

just do further maths like all the real people, it seems to be the only way left to get a maths qualification pre degree that actually means anything/teaches you any maths that you'll ever use again.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 13:22   #21
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I did Further maths in my 1st year of a-levels and i ****ed up - I was 1 mark away from a D grade so I've just done normal maths this year and I repeated AS maths in January.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 14:09   #22
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Heh. I finished with a 91 TER (means i beat more than 91% of the student population in that year) and i only needed an 83 to get into my Commerce course.

All this AAB ABC CBA stuff is amusing to read, as i have no idea what it actually means (though i can guess).

Interestingly, in Australia your Tertiary Entrance Rank is based on your top 4 subjects (inlcuding pre-requisite subjects), whereas it seems in the UK its only the top 3. An interesting difference...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 14:16   #23
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

In the uk most people only do three subjects from 16 to 18, how does it work in aus?
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 14:39   #24
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
In the uk most people only do three subjects from 16 to 18, how does it work in aus?
Not strictly speaking true. When we are 17 we do 4 subjects and then people normally drop a subject where the 3 subjects they do while they're 18 is what's needed to get into uni (explaining it to the Aussie).

A is the top-grade, B the next, C the next etc. where 'B' is considered good and C is average but poor so to speak.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 15:57   #25
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I got into UCL with CCC \o/
Do tell.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 16:25   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread contains way too many acronyms
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 17:19   #27
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Oh well. I went to the School of Slavonic & East European Studies (SSEES)which is next to UCL. It was a very tiny univeristy and they weren't all about the grades, at least not in my subjects. At the end of my first year UCL bought SSEES and so I graduated from UCL.

The main benefit is that on application forms UCL is shorter to write.
I see.
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 20:44   #28
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Hopefully you'll work out sooner rather than later that university is what you make of it. The institution of course makes a difference. However if you have a real love for your subject and you are there because you wanna be the best whatever it is you wanna be, then you will get the most out of it. This might not mean great grades or a great job, but a degree of knowledge and sensitivity which will help you innovate your thinking within a subject.
Thanks. Has helped me settle down a little. At the end of the day though UCL would look cooler on my job interview than QM (and that's the only reason) - oh, and you don't get common scum at UCL (at least I know 20 common scum going to QM).
----------retired-------
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 23:09   #29
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I didn't mean everyone that went there was !

I meant that's more than a bagful.
----------retired-------