User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:59   #1
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
"Our customers will be pissed." - Gabe Newell

Hope no one of you cnuts went out and got yourself a new FX card.

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2003q3/valve/index.x?pg=1

Nvidia FX Cards, the K Cars of the Computer world
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:05   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I'm not building a ****ing supercomputer just so I can play one of the most hyped games ever. Not me.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:07   #3
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, when a video card costs more than a game console that's taking it a bit far.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:10   #4
Intrepid00

You don't need a supercomputer to play HL2. Also HL2 is hardly the most hyped game ever. Nothing was said till almost time of its release. Doom III and Duke Nukem Forver on the other hand are far more hyped.

Quote:
http://www.ultimate-gamer.com/halflife2/hl2.htm
The minimum system specs are currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-level video card TNT2 etc, meaning you won't need a supercomputer to run Half-Life 2.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:13   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Go go gadget Radeon 9700 pro
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:14   #6
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid00
You don't need a supercomputer to play HL2. Also HL2 is hardly the most hyped game ever. Nothing was said till almost time of its release. Doom III and Duke Nukem Forver on the other hand are far more hyped.

Yea, but that thar chart says my GFX 5200 will be lucky to hit 9 fps. Isn't 9 fps, uh, ****?

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:21   #7
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
Yea, but that thar chart says my GFX 5200 will be lucky to hit 9 fps. Isn't 9 fps, uh, ****?
You just need to run HL2 in mixed mode (something most game makers are not going to be able to do unless their big) or go to DX 8.1
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:22   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
At the given resolution (1024x768x32 I believe it said) and scaleable options, you foo' (and under dx9)
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:27   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
far as i can tell it says, to summarise

Quote:
nvidia's DX9 (and hence, HL2 graphics) is quite quite poo. ATI's is great, hence their cards do better. boo nvidia. yay ati
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:30   #10
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
bah

my radeon 9600 is teh suck
i need a new gfx card dammit

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:34   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
far as i can tell it says, to summarise
The only thing I currently require a geforce for is running Fifa 2k3, it doesn't like my setup on this computer, and it's simplest to blame the graphics card.

What a big loss.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:44   #12
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
there was a time that i had a gf2 GTS Pro
then i sold it and got a radeon 8500

im now buying a radeon 9700 or a 9800. it tells people something about performance
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:47   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
there was a time that i had a gf2 GTS Pro
then i sold it and got a radeon 8500

im now buying a radeon 9700 or a 9800. it tells people something about performance
That newer cards are better?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:01   #14
Muslim
Banned

correctamondo
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:05   #15
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I like my GTS Pro.

I like the way it smokes a pipe, gathers round the piano and sings about the good old days. the days before trilinear frameworks and dynamic shadows.

By jove, we remember giving games like MOHAA a damn good seeing to.

OVER THE TOP AND TALLYHO.

FOR FRAMERATE AND RESOLUTION...!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:09   #16
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
hey think my GF3 Ti 500 will be able to cope?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:13   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
correctamondo
Pity, I was about to put a voodoo 2 in this thing and watch performance SHOOT UP
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:24   #18
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Pity, I was about to put a voodoo 2 in this thing and watch performance SHOOT UP
how do you get to live with a girl?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:26   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
how do you get to live with a girl?
By being sexually aroused by RAM.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:26   #20
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
By being sexually aroused by RAM.
w00t?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:27   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
w00t?
mmm tft
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:29   #22
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
mmm tft
the forth coming
come to speak of it, does the girl that lives with you is kind of nerdy? It kind of struk me that she claimed to have read all my posts on my love life, which i have refrained to post for about 4 months now. and if she saw it all it could go as far as one year ago.

huuummmm

it makes more sense now

ah, now i get the RAM joke
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:32   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

What RAM joke

ps

she doesn't get sexually excited by ram
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:36   #24
Muslim
Banned

Quote:

she doesn't get sexually excited by ram
she doesnt? what kind of sick world we live in! what does she thins of when shes gettin it on?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:52   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Here's an HL2 effects video from Valve (press the big button with "téléchargement" on it). (116 MB!!!)
The demo doesn't seem to struggle here on my GF2 GTS and Athlon XP1700+. I'm not sure how much of the whole Halflife engine is put into this demo, but if this is what we can expect then it's going to be very pretty!
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 21:59   #26
Muslim
Banned

is dx9 required to play that?

:duh:
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 22:03   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Here's an HL2 effects video from Valve (press the big button with "téléchargement" on it). (116 MB!!!)
The demo doesn't seem to struggle here on my GF2 GTS and Athlon XP1700+. I'm not sure how much of the whole Halflife engine is put into this demo, but if this is what we can expect then it's going to be very pretty!
Surely that's a VIDEO, not real time rendering and the like......
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 22:10   #28
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

yup, its a self contained BINK video player/file...
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 22:18   #29
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
yup, its a self contained BINK video player/file...
oh the horror...the horror
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 07:20   #30
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Heh, i used to have two voodoo 2 cards in SLI.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 10:02   #31
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

Didn't know that... I thought it was a demo (as the source said it was)
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 11:39   #32
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

DaWoodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this mean i'll have to replace my trusty 8MB TNT card?
DaWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:02   #33
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

the movie is 2 mins long at most and it is 116mb
the game is going to be like...80 Gbs

( i know that it wont be big, cause of the rendering, instead of movie, im just disapointed...too much dl, too little movie)

and what a crap movie, not even a single crap shot is fired
shame on the demo
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:04   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
and what a crap movie, not even a single crap shot is fired
shame on the demo
If you want one with shots fired, why don't you download one of the ones that has shots fired?
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:46   #35

guest is an unknown quantity at this point
It has been reported that Valve have intentionally used misdirection with respect to the benchmarks to make ATIs cards look better. Now it is true that under DirectX 9 ATI are significantly faster than NVidia cards, but with the specific NVidia path written into HL2, which takes into account the **** drivers NVidia have for shaders, the performance is comparable to ATI.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote