User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 16:58   #1
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Vermillion or other smart history buff

Are there any sources on Russian/Soviet cryptography/analyis advances during ww2?

I seem to be having a problem finding any information on the period, is this due to a lack of effort on the ruskies part or a large amount of effort on the KGB's part to keep such things secret?

mucho thankos.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:01   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why bother encrypting Russian? No-one can read the bloody language anyway, especially the hordes of peasants living in the Urals.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:03   #3
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
Why bother encrypting Russian? No-one can read the bloody language anyway, especially the hordes of peasants living in the Urals.
I was thinking more of their breaking of German encryption, which was a rather important task given the whole 'Invading them and killing off lots of people' thingy.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:04   #4
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
I can read cyrillic, and I have three friends who all speak fluent Russian.
Well zippity-doo-f*cking-da for you*

*Plasma not Sarina.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:04   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
COMMUNIST!!
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:06   #6
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
ARE THEY RUSSIAN BY ANY CHANCE ?*

* No, I don't care I they are or not, in fact, don't bother replying, or I'll delete you for 'smugness'. Go me.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 17:11   #7
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
Go me.
in that motorised old peoples scooter of yours!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:16   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i was under the impression that the british cracked the german enigma code and the americans cracked the japanese codes.

seeing as we were good 'buddies' with the uncle joe and the reds at the time it would make sense to share this information.

ive never read that they broke the code tbh.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:17   #9
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
i was under the impression that the british cracked the german enigma code and the americans cracked the japanese codes.

seeing as we were good 'buddies' with the uncle joe and the reds at the time it would make sense to share this information.

ive never read that they broke the code tbh.
Good answer, to anything apart from Sarina's original question.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:19   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
I was thinking more of their breaking of German encryption, which was a rather important task given the whole 'Invading them and killing off lots of people' thingy.

read again old man.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:25   #11
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

But you still haven't answered her question, you've answered a question about what the Yanks and we did, but not what the Russkies did.

This is the type of thing that makes people fail exams.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:31   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

to my knowledge they didnt

however alot of kgb documents are still classified.
everything ive ever read would suggest the west broke the codes at bletchley and a couple of sites dotted around the states.

however whilst googling this i did find out that a top secret american project codenamed 'verona' inflitrated the kgb and found they were running spies around the united states for soviet political means.

even during ww2.

its only just been declassified.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 03:18   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

Sharing the info is (/was) not necessarily a good idea.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 04:51   #14
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
fact is that the only army in the world that could beat the wermarcht was the red one. singlehandly
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:31   #15
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point
From everything I have heard the Soviets always tended to rely more on actual agents with "boots on the ground" than electronic espionage. They had a crack spy in the German Embassy in Japan by the name of Victor Sorge. He not only predicted the German attack on the USSR but he had a date and time as well. Stalin ignored him, then sent him to die in a penal camp when his predictions came true. They also had a spy in Switzerland that corroborated this evidence (who was also "turned into camp dust"). During the actual war years some info was relayed to Moscow from Bletchley Park. However they had the "Red Orchestra" based in Paris where they got a lot of their info from.

So to summarize the Soviets relied heavily on human intelligence supplemented by Ultra intercepts from the UK. The Soviets were always very talented when it came to secret agents (they were in about every country on the globe).
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:42   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

its well known that MI6 was infiltrated by the KGB for years.

they were the best espionage service the world has ever seen.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:44   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
its well known that MI6 was infiltrated by the KGB for years.

they were the best espionage service the world has ever seen.

What made them so good?
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:52   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

the fact they had unlimited resources usually has something to do with it.

the way in which they operated was like the gestapo. they had more power than all the politicans combined.

NOONE messed with kgb.

they had various ways of 'extracting' information if u were caught.

Gran is hungarian and there was a kgb station near to where she lived.
Noone walked on the side of the street it was on. Noone ever looked directly at it and if you ever saw anyone being escored into it you never saw them come out again.

ruthless efficiency made them the best.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:54   #19
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
ruthless efficiency made them the best.

What about suprise?
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:55   #20
JammyJim
Godfather

:duh:
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 11:57   #21
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
fact is that the only army in the world that could beat the wermarcht was the red one. singlehandly

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr no.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 16:51   #22
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Then wich could?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 22:45   #23
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
singlehandly
You would be funny if you really believed that, troll.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 22:47   #24
JammyJim
Godfather

its all to do with political will not the size of the army.

therefore the reds wouldve been able to do it but the americans wouldve suffered from 'war wearyness'.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 23:13   #25
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
its all to do with political will not the size of the army.

therefore the reds wouldve been able to do it but the americans wouldve suffered from 'war wearyness'.
You are funny, too. Do you just make up this stuff, or do you extrapolate 21st century attitudes to determine what might have happened in the mid-20th century?
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 23:30   #26
JammyJim
Godfather

politics does not change.

if there is no political will then something cannot happen.

The soviet system was set up in a way in which political will was the will of the state because the state was the people. The state was represented by the politburo. Therefore Politburo = State = Political Will.

In america the democratic system itself undermines the willingness to goto war for an extended time. Take vietnam as a prime example.

it is termed 'war wearyness' and has been around for centuries.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:40   #27
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
politics does not change.

if there is no political will then something cannot happen.

The soviet system was set up in a way in which political will was the will of the state because the state was the people. The state was represented by the politburo. Therefore Politburo = State = Political Will.

In america the democratic system itself undermines the willingness to goto war for an extended time. Take vietnam as a prime example.

it is termed 'war wearyness' and has been around for centuries.
"afeghanistan"

yet it was in a critical time of the sovjets, perestroika and glasnost on their way, economical and political mess...but nevertheless....war wearyness all over the red ones
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote