User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jun 2003, 23:05   #1
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
How much do you think "deep thoughts"?

If you consider the time your mind is active, how much of that time is spendt on "deep" aka "philosophical" aka "useless" thoughts? Do you consider it worthwhile? Why do you/don't you do it (more)?

I promise not to reply on this thread. I just want your answers.
W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2003, 23:16   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
All my free time I spend sitting on the train or walking somewhere or sitting around doing nothing I run through various questions that confuse me in my mind. That's not solely philosophy but I'd say it occupies more than half of that time.
Unread 27 Jun 2003, 23:19   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I used to have them all the time when I was young and naive. I thought I could put the World to rights with my thoughts alone and that nobody had come up with something similar before.

But then I realised that nobody gave a sh1t about these thoughts and would much rather discuss the latest release at the cinema or what happened on Eastenders last night. My creativity was drowned by a flood of mainstream thought. So now I tend to think of much more superficial things.

That and the fact that I'm no longer a stoner.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2003, 23:22   #4
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How much do you think "deep thoughts"?

Quote:
Originally posted by W
If you consider the time your mind is active, how much of that time is spendt on "deep" aka "philosophical" aka "useless" thoughts? Do you consider it worthwhile? Why do you/don't you do it (more)?

My mind is always active.

I think I used up all the deep thoughts though, and now only insane thoughts are left to ponder.

I mean, I always wonder who came up with "that" or "this". 'What if the pictures are real and they can watch/look at us, like we looking at "them"?' 'What if everything in the world has a 'soul"' etc.

I have no time to do it more often, because I even dream about "useless" ****.

You know I have thought about all those ideas veeeery long time ago.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 00:00   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
I used to every day at night. I don't really think anymore.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 00:20   #6
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Once a month

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 01:32   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i dont know, i dont time. A lot i guess, but i personally feel my own life is of more importance in my thoughts

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 01:52   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
very randomly, it's kinda in periods. some periods I just live my life without abstract thinking a lot and in other periods i feel like an old misunderstood tosser.
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 07:14   #9
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
sometimes i think the world has gone completely mad... and then i think, 'aww who cares?' and then i think, 'hey, what's for dinner?'
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 07:48   #10
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
I don't go into 'deep thought' very often, but when I do...it's usually something like:

If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet beer would shoot out of you nose.

or

I think one way the cops could make extra money would be to hold a used murder weapons sale. Many people could really use cheap a ice pick.

I don't know how 'deep' these thoughts would be tho.... :\
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 11:27   #11
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
when i go to bed.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 11:47   #12
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Sometimes. When im outside smoking, sitting in a little bench whit a little roof over, while its raining hard, then the strangest of thoughts can come over me.
Or when im taking the train, just sitting and watching the things that are along the lines, while thinking of big and small things.
While doing mundane thoughts, while sitting in a chair, while drinking whit my friends. Its random.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 11:47   #13
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the voices in my head tell me lots of things

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 11:52   #14
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I read the topic as 'deep throat' :/
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 11:56   #15
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
I used to have them all the time when I was young and naive. I thought I could put the World to rights with my thoughts alone and that nobody had come up with something similar before.

But then I realised that nobody gave a sh1t about these thoughts and would much rather discuss the latest release at the cinema or what happened on Eastenders last night. My creativity was drowned by a flood of mainstream thought. So now I tend to think of much more superficial things.

That and the fact that I'm no longer a stoner.
That's right Sonny. You grow up into a cruel wrold, where noone gives a **** about you, your dog or anyone else you know. After this, you die.
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 12:46   #16
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by W
aka "useless" thoughts?
I disagree entirely.

As for the exact question, it is utterly randomly, often I go through phases of thinking about an issue for a week or so - especially over the past year when I've been studying legal and sociological theories.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 12:51   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
not enough... probably.
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 17:03   #18
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
when i do drugs

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2003, 20:56   #19
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
when im waiting for the bus
when im on the bus
when im walking anywhere
when i get a respite at work
when im in lessons
in the 5 mins i typically have spare at the end of an exam
whenever im alone basically, and half the time even when im in company (i disengage and drift away)
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 00:47   #20
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
every little thing can amaze me,
create a spark in my brain,
ignite a thought,
a reasoning stream.

Everytime I think that I know where the thoughts are going to.

And I think I almost figured out humanity and the reason for being here.

My life is almost complete.

If it wasn't for the thing that every little thing can amaze me.
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 00:49   #21
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Perhaps two or three seconds every other day. I get these sudden pangs of philosophical consentrated toughts that make my world come to a halt and make me understand the greatness of the whole, but then the brief blossom of the flower of philosophy gets run over by the huge truck of everyday pointlessness---ess.

Matrim
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 00:53   #22
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Lil bit of haiku,
Makes my warped mind go cuckoo,
Random thoughts ahoy

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 01:00   #23
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
Once a month
Pretty much... :/
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 16:09   #24
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much do you think "deep thoughts"?

Quote:
Originally posted by W

24/7 ...I seem incapable of not thinking that way. I am often accused of daydreaming for the reason that even while performing other tasks in an automated fashion my mind is elsewhere thinking deep thoughts.

I certainly don't view them as useless as ultimately they help me to better understand why everything happens the way it does.

As to why I do it I can't be certain, perhaps it appeals to my creative nature. Although I am interested in all facets of philosophy people intrigue me the most. I profile every person I meet and analyse how they react to their environment and have found that certain patterns emerge that seem common to every person. As a result I've been able to refine it to the point of knowing a lot about a person within the first couple of minutes of meeting them.

=[DJ Bass]=