User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:20   #1
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
What book are you currently reading or would recommend?

I know we've done this before, however not all that recently, so:

I am currently reading Blue Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson, I've read the previous two novels, Red and Green Mars respectively, over the last week, and highly enjoyed them. This, the third, is no different. An exciting glimpse of a possible future, given that the initial colonisation is perfectly within our grasp right now.

So what are you reading, or what would you recommend?
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:23   #2
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: What book are you currently reading or would recommend?

Kisscut by Karen Slaughter and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Sallenger are the previous two books I've read, both are trés ace!
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:27   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Just finished the latest Jeffrey Deaver book (another Lincoln Rhyme one) and started on Michael Moore's 'Stupid White Men'. Much amusement is being gained
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:29   #4
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Lord of The Rings - The full version one.

I really recommend you to buy it as a single book (as it was intended to be published) as this version has more complete Appendixes, Maps and extra stuff that can enlighten any doubts that could appear.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:35   #5
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Den siste revjakta(The last foxhunt, fox(or rev)=slang for hash) by Ingvar Ambjørnsen.
A awesome book, at least in my opinion. Althought, i doubt there are any english versions around, so its kinda pointless for me to recomend it to anybody but norwegians, is it? Anyways, Ingav Ambjørnsen is one of my favorite norwegian writers, his stories are always

Also reading: belgarath the sorcerer by David Eddings. I like eddings, and have read all his books, but its was a long time since i've read anything of him, so i just started to read it when i had nothing better to read or do. Althought eddings is kinda "fantasy light",(Or whatever, his writing migth be considered kinda un-hardcore) i like him and his works!
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:37   #6
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Lord of the Flies is because it has two really character in Jack and Simon.

LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:59   #7
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
I'm reading 'The Code Book' by Simon Singh, after which I will start on Espedair Street.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:59   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A collection of Samuel Johnson's essays, mostly the Rambler, but I wouldn't recommend it as I have only just started it. Last book I read that I really enjoyed was Chomsky's Deterring Democracy which, while starting with more than a hint of hyperbole and rhetoric, ended up being a very good read!

PS As for fiction, and science fiction as you are reading it belgy, have you read David Feintuch, namely the seafort collection? I thought it was brilliant, primarily as it offered a very different view of the future to that which is usually offered.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:11   #9
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm currently reading Catch-22 for an english assignment. It's a funny book with a strong message, and I'd recommend it even though I'm yet to finish it.

Aside from Catch-22 I'd recommend Ulysses by James Joyce, that I read recently, or maybe Dorian by Will Self*.

*You will likely need to have read A Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (thoroughly recommendable in its own right) to appreciate this fully.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:35   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Currently reading War and Peace by Tolstoy and 'Rogue States' by Naom Chomsky.

War and Peace is actually quite good but takes some 'getting into'. Im more than half way through but put it down abuot 6months ago when i moved to uni and am just picking up the story again. However the messages it conveys about humanity and human nature still apply today.

As for Chomsky. jonny summed it up fairly succinctly. Hes an ace writer but in some regards far to cynical. Ill be trying to get hold of Ayn Rand soon to see what 'he thinks' about 'the world and all that live in it'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:37   #11
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
WAR OF THE WORLDS, Now that is a classic.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:42   #12
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman,

A Hugo and Nebula Award winning novel.

A story spanning several centuries, and involving the futility of war, and the hope of peace.

An excellent read, and one I recommend to anyone.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:47   #13
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman,

A Hugo and Nebula Award winning novel.

A story spanning several centuries, and involving the futility of war, and the hope of peace.

An excellent read, and one I recommend to anyone.
I can find this book in Fiction or in the Children's Fantasy section correct?
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:54   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim

As for Chomsky. jonny summed it up fairly succinctly. Hes an ace writer but in some regards far to cynical. Ill be trying to get hold of Ayn Rand soon to see what 'he thinks' about 'the world and all that live in it'

That is a typo isn't it heh? You will enjoy rand's views on sex anyways, rape is the good!

(I bet you queball will think I'm being serious again here. Hello you rampant faggot!)
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:56   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Nearly finished The Godfather (not yet seen the film after failing to get the first half of Part 1 ), but the book is excellent.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:59   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Just finished Brave New World (excellent book), and am currently reading a collection of Carl Jung essays. You should read "Snow Crash" though if you havent already though, since youre a sci-fi faggot and its actually good.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 22:11   #17
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point
ive red 4 books lately...

- The alcemist (or whatever its called in english) - Paulo Coelho (it was suposed to change my life but i didnt find it that good... )

- Når du er hos meg - Linn Ullmann (only in norwegian yet i guess, found it very good tho)

- Andre steder (other places) - Nicolas frobenius (you should hope he realeses his stuff in other languages as well.. cus he is teh man)

- The summer of Betrayal - Hong Ying (won lots of awards with it, tho i found it kinda ****teh... might be the translation wich is crap)
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:00   #18
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Your all the bunch of nerdses!

So clearly I can take your recommendations.

Anyhoo, this past month I read nietzsche's 'genealogy of morals' mill's 'on liberty' and 'utilitarianism' marx' manifesto and 'alienation of labor' locke's '2nd treatise on government' more's 'utopia' voltaire's 'l'ingenu'

mill seems like a reasonable guy
marx comes off as a pop psychologist and demagogue
nietzsche i would like to discuss with someone who has read some of his ****
and
more kicks ass.

I'm about to make a 'big order' from amazon so i'm glad belgy started this.
i'm ordering (so far)
Basic Writings of Nietzsche and portable nietzsche
wealth of nations and that keynes book
GEB (hofstadter) on nod's reco
probably a friedman, a hazlitt,
ayn rand's atlas shrugged and fountainhead

and maybe a thing or two from this thread that sounds 'neato'
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:04   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis

Nietzche is the ****ing man. End of story.

Actually you named Voltaire, Locke, Nietzche, More and Mill who are like my top five favourite authors!
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:20   #20
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Any of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels. Theyre all "Ace".

Neitzche is End Blyton compared to Rankin
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:23   #21
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Nietzche is the ****ing man. End of story.

Actually you named Voltaire, Locke, Nietzche, More and Mill who are like my top five favourite authors!
it's worth reading all of them just so you know what they are talking about. the synopsis you'll see of their thought in a history book is usually wrong, and when it isn't it doesn't cover them at all.

okay you then. nietzsche. to start, he's well read.

Am I right in interpreting him to say that hitler (up until he started getting beat) would be the 'ideal person,' in that he took power and conquered, and didn't care at all about human rights etc?

Perhaps Stalin would be better even, because he ruled as long as he lived and killed everyone and everything that opposed him.

By me, I saw him as saying that evil is the way to be.

I'm told that his work was used by the nazis to support their cause, but I didn't really see that (except for the whole jews-are-the-bad thing)
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:43   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
it's worth reading all of them just so you know what they are talking about. the synopsis you'll see of their thought in a history book is usually wrong, and when it isn't it doesn't cover them at all.

okay you then. nietzsche. to start, he's well read.

Am I right in interpreting him to say that hitler (up until he started getting beat) would be the 'ideal person,' in that he took power and conquered, and didn't care at all about human rights etc?

Perhaps Stalin would be better even, because he ruled as long as he lived and killed everyone and everything that opposed him.

By me, I saw him as saying that evil is the way to be.

I'm told that his work was used by the nazis to support their cause, but I didn't really see that (except for the whole jews-are-the-bad thing)
In reply, read beyond good and evil. Nietzche rejected conventional morality based on any kind of system that lies outside of individual human beings. Nietzche was very much an individualist in the sense that he believed in the concept of the superman, not necessarily the race of supermen. There a huge number of variations in interpretation of to what extent Nietzche did not care about human rights. In my mind he abandoned the base ones resolved with human need and the dull quotidian existence and moved onto a set of values grounded in the ability of each person to become the 'superman'. The Nazis were about as much based on nietzche as plato was.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 23:57   #23
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
I'm reading 'The Code Book' by Simon Singh

If you even think about attempting his code challenge thing, I will be very impressed.

Quote:
Originally posted by XeeThot
Lord of The Rings - The full version one.

I really recommend you to buy it as a single book (as it was intended to be published) as this version has more complete Appendixes, Maps and extra stuff that can enlighten any doubts that could appear.
Not mine. There is a little bit at the beginning about why they haven't included them because they are superfluous and you can understand the story without them, or some such cheapskate nonsense.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 10:13   #24
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'm reading Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++

There is next to no plot line and the characters need more developing

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:25   #25
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
ATM not really reading anything (dont have time as i'm trying to get the coding for my uni final year project finished) but two books ive read in the last month or so are

Michael Moore's 'Stupid White Men'
Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace's 'Are You Dave Gorman'

Both hilarious reads
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:36   #26
Beëlzebooze

Beëlzebooze is an unknown quantity at this point
Tolstoy, Nietzsche, Voltaire.....FFS!

I am glad to see I am not the only troglodyte here Kurashima
...Rankin does tell a good story......
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:40   #27
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Beëlzebooze
Tolstoy, Nietzsche, Voltaire.....FFS!

I am glad to see I am not the only troglodyte here Kurashima
...Rankin does tell a good story......

uh huh

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:49   #28
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace's 'Are You Dave Gorman'
Did you see Dave Gorman's TV series? It was utterly hilarious
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:56   #29
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
Where can one see this?
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:07   #30
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
The Scar, by China Miéville.

absolutely brilliant, along with Perdido Street Station.
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:13   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Anything and everything by Douglas Adams, Umberto Eco or Iain Banks.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:14   #32
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Anything and everything by Douglas Adams, Umberto Eco or Iain Banks.
and Iain M Banks.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:17   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
and Iain M Banks.
He lives in FIFE!
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:25   #34
Radical Edward

He drives fast cars!
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 16:55   #35
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
Yeah was what got me to buy the book (although took me a long time to get round to ordering it off Amazon)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:11   #36
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
I just started reading Lolita today. And as always I would reccommend "One Hundred Years of Solitude"
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:47   #37
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Eye Of The Labyrinth by Jennifer Fallon

Primarily because the author is a friend more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Just finished Brave New World (excellent book)
Strange book, nice ending though.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:48   #38
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole
I just started reading Lolita today.

LISTER: OK, I'll save it till last. (Holds up another.) _Lolita_. Is it
OK if I burn _Lolita_?
RIMMER: Save page sixty-one.

LISTER opens it and finds page sixty-one. RIMMER leans over his
shoulder.

RIMMER: That bit.
LISTER: That's disgusting.

He rips out page sixty-one, folds it into his pocket and throws the rest
of the book on the fire.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 20:46   #39
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid00
I can find this book in Fiction or in the Children's Fantasy section correct?
You will probably have to ask someone who can READ, to get it for you and EXPLAIN the words.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 21:06   #40
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
He lives in FIFE!

Iv'e met him!

Also the Dave Gorman book was very funny, I only caught a little bit of the TV show though.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 21:58   #41
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finshed 'Prelude to Foundation' by Isaac Asimov, and now I'm reading 'Foundation'.

I only read them because I got the impression that these books are 'classics that are not to be missed!" and I guess I got the right impression because the books are great.

It's kind of interesting to read sci-fi written in 1950 because of the huge gap in technology we have between then and now. They way one man pictured the far off future in 1950 based on that time's technological level does sometimes make you smile but over all it's not a problem at all, just makes it all the more interesting.

Though you've probably already read them I guess.

Matrim
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:02   #42
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive just finished reading some Terry Pratchett books, and im halfway through reading Reign Of Hell by Sven Hassel
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:13   #43
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
It's kind of interesting to read sci-fi written in 1950 because of the huge gap in technology we have between then and now. They way one man pictured the far off future in 1950 based on that time's technological level does sometimes make you smile but over all it's not a problem at all, just makes it all the more interesting.
Read Heinlein's Future History series then, you'll like it
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:14   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Prelude to Foundation isn't all that great, the Foundation Trilogy are good, Foundation's Edge is slightly worse, Foundation and Earth is shockingly poor and Forward the Foundation doesn't end the series on a high note.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:16   #45
Anu
Kontrè*******

Anu is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Jan Guillou - Coq Rouge

never got to read the first Hamilton book before now
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:17   #46
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Prelude to Foundation isn't all that great

I can agree that it isn't as good as Foundation.

Guess I have to read those last books anyway, just to finish it off.

Matrim
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:32   #47
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
The Beano

it was good
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 23:00   #48
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Just finished the light fantastic. Found that it wasn't worth buying, but was worth reading. I recomend it (and "the color of magic" of course) only if you can read it for free.
W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 23:11   #49
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Sebastien Faulks - Birdsong

Gene Brewer - K-PAX trilogy.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 17:52   #50
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Choke by (writer of Fight Club) - very funny and is about a sex addict
Stupid White Men by Michael Moore - a must-read for everyone whether you agree with what he says or not.
The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell - Very funny!
Dead Air by Ian Banks - Only read a few chapters so far but is very relevent and a really enjoyable read!

I was thinking of doing a thread like this a couple of weeks ago...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote