User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:43   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
You know...

... even since about everyone here is "sceptical" (that's an understatement) about roleplayers, I think I could enjoy a good RP game. Not the way they do on the RP board, but like they do in that lightningbolt movie... They look like they are having a good time, even though most people render them insane.
After having read Starbucks' thread about his girlfriend being a roleplayer, I think I could very well enjoy a good game of "roleplaying" with a girl (trying to give starbucks ideas now).

Anyway, when you think about it, is playing computer games the same thing as roleplaying. You immerge yourself in the world of the game, at some point feeling like you ARE the lead person. That's what good, lasting games do: giving the player a way to escape reality.
Even Planetarion is such a game up to some point, where people are worried about their planet, have sleepless nights about it, or are developing hatred towards those who attack them in the game. They submerge themselves in the game, to escape the dullness or misery of reality.

So, even though everyone says RP-ers are insane or crazy, you lot are probably exactly the same as them. The only difference is that they have different ways of escaping reality, using their imagination, instead of their primary senses as sight and hearing.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:47   #2
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Re: You know...

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
... even since about everyone here is "sceptical" (that's an understatement) about roleplayers, I think I could enjoy a good RP game. Not the way they do on the RP board, but like they do in that lightningbolt movie... They look like they are having a good time, even though most people render them insane.
After having read Starbucks' thread about his girlfriend being a roleplayer, I think I could very well enjoy a good game of "roleplaying" with a girl (trying to give starbucks ideas now).

Anyway, when you think about it, is playing computer games the same thing as roleplaying. You immerge yourself in the world of the game, at some point feeling like you ARE the lead person. That's what good, lasting games do: giving the player a way to escape reality.
Even Planetarion is such a game up to some point, where people are worried about their planet, have sleepless nights about it, or are developing hatred towards those who attack them in the game. They submerge themselves in the game, to escape the dullness or misery of reality.

So, even though everyone says RP-ers are insane or crazy, you lot are probably exactly the same as them. The only difference is that they have different ways of escaping reality, using their imagination, instead of their primary senses as sight and hearing.
No, they are very different, trust me, I live with them.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:48   #3
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Re: You know...

Quote:

You want to be the Lightning bolt dude? Can I play too?

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:51   #4
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Actual roleplay is good.

The "roleplay" on these forums isn't roleplay.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:55   #5
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by GavGull
Actual roleplay is good.

The "roleplay" on these forums isn't roleplay.
Actual roleplay involves spending all your spare time creating a character and having meetings with the DM. It involves talking with your friends about your character as if you are actually them. It involves talking in stupid voices. Roleplayers seriously have issues with real life and should seek medical attention.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:57   #6
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
Actual roleplay involves spending all your spare time creating a character and having meetings with the DM. It involves talking with your friends about your character as if you are actually them. It involves talking in stupid voices. Roleplayers seriously have issues with real life and should seek medical attention.
Am I even meant to respond to something so ridiculous?
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 14:59   #7
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Roleplay should never come to the point that it dominates ones life.

Is LARP so different from paintball or airsoft?

(apart from the funky outfits, but there's really no excuse for that. dressing up as a 'goblin' should be grounds for castration)
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:06   #8
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
I sense the dark side in this one.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:06   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN

(apart from the funky outfits, but there's really no excuse for that. dressing up as a 'goblin' should be grounds for castration)
No, I don't think so... What about carnaval here in the south of the Netherlands. You'd have a lot of castrating to do if dressing up as something odd is a reason for that.
And what about people performing on stage?

It's a part of a hobby, and if taking a hobby quite far is reason for anything, then the most of the people on this planet are guilty.

And what about games? have you never submerged yourself in a good game? At some point not being aware of reality anymore?
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:16   #10
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
No, I don't think so... What about carnaval here in the south of the Netherlands. You'd have a lot of castrating to do if dressing up as something odd is a reason for that.
And what about people performing on stage?

It's a part of a hobby, and if taking a hobby quite far is reason for anything, then the most of the people on this planet are guilty.

And what about games? have you never submerged yourself in a good game? At some point not being aware of reality anymore?
Of course I have, and the game happened to be an RPG (yes, i'm RP scum. I would't touch the RP-boards here with a skyscraper, thouh)

In my perfect little world, no one will ever dress up as a goblin. They'll be satisfied with pretending to be a goblin. I've seen pictures of people dressed up to the extreme, pictures that would make your haemerrhoids pop =/

(ohh, and how do you like the punjabi mc )
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:23   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Of course I have, and the game happened to be an RPG (yes, i'm RP scum. I would't touch the RP-boards here with a skyscraper, thouh)

In my perfect little world, no one will ever dress up as a goblin. They'll be satisfied with pretending to be a goblin. I've seen pictures of people dressed up to the extreme, pictures that would make your haemerrhoids pop =/

(ohh, and how do you like the punjabi mc )
I don't like the RP board here either. It is too much work to keep posting there and creating characters, nor does it seem to be particulary fun (I've occasionally looked into on of the threads).
Playing an RP game in the woods with your friends could actually be fun though, like in the video. You don't even need to dress up .
And I wouldn't call anyone to be RP scum if he can submerge himself in a game (even an RPG). It's proof that the game actually did what it was supposed to do.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:26   #12
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
I don't like the RP board here either. It is too much work to keep posting there and creating characters, nor does it seem to be particulary fun (I've occasionally looked into on of the threads).
Playing an RP game in the woods with your friends could actually be fun though, like in the video. You don't even need to dress up .
And I wouldn't call anyone to be RP scum if he can submerge himself in a game (even an RPG). It's proof that the game actually did what it was supposed to do.
The RP boards over here make no sense whatsoever. A shame, really.
The RP games in the woods can be fun indeed. Never tried them myself, thoguh. You might want to check out the Elf site.

(where do you live?)
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:30   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:

The RP games in the woods can be fun indeed. Never tried them myself, thoguh.
(where do you live?)
Neither have I... I still need to find someone crazy enough (heh heh)

And I live in Helden, a few KM from Venlo... I study at the Fontys in Venlo.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:36   #14
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Neither have I... I still need to find someone crazy enough (heh heh)

And I live in Helden, a few KM from Venlo... I study at the Fontys in Venlo.
Ah, Venlo. I'd almost mock you, but I live in Gouda, whih is worse =/

There are tonnes of crazy people, though. Just do a google, and ta-da
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:43   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:

There are tonnes of crazy people, though
And lots of cheese
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:43   #16
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
And lots of cheese
Ahh, a common misconception

The cheese is actually made in the villages surrounding Gouda We just steal it and call it ours
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 15:45   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Someone in my Uni class does LARP. Apparently.